Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 02, 2016
These qualities are absolutely needed to survive at this school...if not, they turn to drugs and alcohol to get through it.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted June 02, 2016
They may appear respectful on the surface, but underneath it is all about what is in it for themselves. There is nothing the school does for promoting such values, its the parents at home that have to convey it and their respect from their kids is bought.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted June 02, 2016
Kids care about themselves and what they get out of their parents for being a star athlete or student. They could care less about any kid that isn't in their clique.

Redwood High School 2

Posted June 02, 2016
Athletics are too competitive to participate in. Clubs fall apart on a whim. Students are entitled, snobby, exclusive, mean and cliquey - the school atmosphere drives many in to drinking, drugs and sex or else they cannot belong to a group. My daugher experienced 2 of her best friends from growing up in Marin moving schools because of the party scenes they fell into. It is the parental money that gets everyone into college, that gets private tutoring and college prep, that pays thousands of dollars each season for competitive traveling sports from the time they are 5 years old and that helicopter their kids so that they archive whatever the parent wants them to be. It is a full time job for a parent to participate as many are during school hours, so parents do not feel part of a community at all. I found the communication horrible, an occasional letter form the principal touting only the best achievers in athletics, etc. The website takes a lot of searching to find what you need and never proactively send things to parents or students about available volunteer or internship positions. It takes a lot to keep up with the helicoptered kids at this school and we have had enough and are leaving to somewhere where being in the Honor Society actually means something besides an email and provides opportunity to participate in athletics. Sure, the numbers are there for this school, but it seems to be more the super competitive parents that are being judged rather than the school.

Posted October 24, 2014
We moved to Marin with my daughter not knowing anyone at the school. She also went to a private K-8 school beforehand, and this was our first foray into the public school system. What a pleasant surprise. Although my daughter considered going private for high school, after we toured Redwood she decided this was the place for her. And, it's been a fantastic experience. The teachers and administration have always been helpful and available to answer questions. The student body has socio-economic diversity (could be a bit better but it's from the neighborhoods that feed into the school), plenty of activities, sports, and clubs to get involved with, and it's a fun and safe environment. There is academic rigor and teachers who are truly interested and passionate about what they are teaching. The school is fantastic in communicating with parents also!

Redwood High School 1

Posted July 15, 2014
I sit here on my computer trying to think of something to positive to say about this school, but I can't. Some teachers at the school love the job because they love power. I would spend an hour or so on an assignment and then they would never say anything positive about it. This school was all about pointing out the negatives to their students. I tried to be friendly and interact with teachers and kids and nothing ever seemed to click between us. One serious issue that I had was that I had a teacher who was constantly on top of me. When I mean 'on top of me' she would literally criticize every move I made. For example if I went on a trip with my family for a weekend and missed a day of school she would use it against me for months. For example, I would ask a question 2 months later and she would say 'this is why you need to be in school.' Another issue I had was the teachers who would act different in front of my parents. This teacher would write emails to my dad saying that 'I havent been going to English class' but my dad would send an email to my English teacher and he would say that I have been showing up to class. This made me feel like that teacher was out to get me.

Redwood High School 2

Posted March 06, 2014
My child is exhausted. They've turned a self-motivated kid with a very high IQ into a zombie. Crushing homework loads, indifferent counselors and rigid attendance policies softened by some really excellent teachers and an atmosphere of tolerance, but all of it rendered miserable by the obsession with homework. When I drop my kid off in the morning I feel like I'm committing an act of betrayal. I'm made complicit in abuse by a system that somehow thinks it's rational and morally acceptable to work children to the point of utter exhaustion day after day, week after week. A kid who consistently tests in the 99th percentile and I'm left gently suggesting dropping out. That's Redwood to this parent.

Posted May 07, 2013
Your child needs to be self motivated. If he is this school has a great curriculum and very good teachers.

Posted February 02, 2012
We moved to Marin County and selected our location so our son could attend Redwood High School. We looked for schools first, a home second. He transferred as a junior -- and he ended up having a great experience. He had wonderful, knowledgeable teachers who were interested in his success. The math, science, English and music departments were standouts. He participated in clubs, and found that while there were typical cliques and groups -- there really is a place for everyone at Redwood. We were grateful for his success and positive experiences at Redwood.

Posted October 19, 2011
The education at this school is unbelievably great. My older sister had a hard time finding her niche, as she is very shy and usually doesn't put herself out there. But once she discovered the drama program, she immediately fell in love with it and made unforgettable friends and has a newfound love for acting. My two older brothers didn't have a hard time because they had already had friends there. Redwood helps you find what you love to do. Some people see the large amount of students as a problem, but I see it as an advantage because every day you can meet new people that you've never met before. In a community as large as this school, you would never get bored.

395 Doherty Drive, Larkspur, CA  94939-1536
Last modified Redwood High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.