Lemon Grove, CA
Before care: Yes

Saint John Of The Cross Catholic School 3

Posted June 27, 2014
I agree that, like all schools, SJC has areas that need improvement; however, things are not as bad as some reviews suggest. The new principal left the school early in the year and I feel that the teachers pulled together immediately to assure continuity. Bullying and teasing occur at every school across the globe and they ARE addressed, though perhaps not to everyone's satisfaction. I know that many teachers talk about respect, honesty, integrity, etc. It is the parents' responsibility to follow through and model at home what is taught in class! Regarding the lock downs: the school is in the middle of a large urban area and NOTHING bad has happened on campus, due in large part to the drills that teachers and kids have had. The school computer server crashed, but in an effort to stay in touch with parents the school started a Facebook and Twitter account. The area that needs improvement is parent involvement. PTG meetings are sadly not well attended, but a new board was installed and things will get better. One example was the end of the year Walkathon. It was wonderful! The board has many new ideas for next year, too.

Saint John Of The Cross Catholic School 4

Posted June 27, 2014
My kids started at SJOC in Pre3. They have excelled academically. The administration has had some turn over and the school is in transition. I feel they are making changes for the better. Most of the teachers and staff want what us best for the school. There are several teachers and staff who put in 150% and it shows. My kids really enjoy going to SJOC. As parents we love to be involved as much as we can. The school needs more parental involvement. Every school has areas of improvement. SJOC is no different, however I feel they are taking it in the right direction. I love that they are in social media now. It makes announcements so much easier. I highly recommend this school.

Posted June 16, 2014
My child attended this school from pre3 through 4th grade. I am pulling her out next year for mulitple reasons. One, there is a lack of structure and communication on the part of the administration. Their school website is down, so communication relies heavily on the teacher and in my case it was NONE. I wouldn't be aware of school events or even half days that required planning ahead of time. The main reason I am pulling my child out is the discrimination and bullying that occurs ont only between children but also families. I thought at first that with such a high hispanic population it would be a good experience and help my daughter learn Spanish. Instead, she is bullied and ridiculed for not speaking Spanish and the parents are no better. i have never experienced cliques like those i saw in this school, even when i was in high school. Teachers and administration do nothing in response to complaints. Teachers vary quite a bit as far as their skill, professionalism, and education. One teacher in particular (Mrs. Stepp) is AMAZING and the only reason i kept my daughter in for another year. Unfortunately she can no longer counteract the other negative aspects.

Posted June 08, 2014
I had previously written a review at the beginning of the school year, I came to know the school better, while back then I was happy, I end our stay at SJOC very disappointed, the Principal left for personal reasons, that I respect, but the school was headless, some teachers were in charge, then they appointed one teacher as Principal, what does it say to me? No stability. Then, being a Catholic school I experienced no validation of the faith through their actions in regards to controlling bullying, rivalry between families, and a total lack of interest in many parents to make feel people welcome and integrated, that also happened between classmates. Several lock downs thru the year didn't deter us from giving the school an opportunity, we thought God is with us, nothing bad will happen. But, the social pressure, the lack of compassion, the lack in making accountable kids that bully and provoke others, the administration not being congruent and consistent, just was unbearable. No sense of community here, sorry to say, no sense of compassion. :(

Saint John Of The Cross Catholic School 2

Posted May 30, 2014
Some teachers in teaching are great, or at least the ones I've encountered. The first thing this school needs to work on is getting new staff for the front offices. There isn't any equal customer service. They pick and chose who to talk to nicely, but if they don't know you r don't like you they will talk to you any a very rude way. Second every time the children have a issue, they only punish the one that is defending themselves because they do not listen when a child is being bullied. It's a beautiful school/church, but it's sad that their personal can't even smile at you from time to time, specially front desk folks. That is where everyone starts when trying to get any customer service.

Saint John Of The Cross Catholic School 3

Posted April 29, 2014
I feel that overall this school is working towards student success and all the teachers and staff have the best intentions for the students. In my opinion, I also feel that the preschool program is excellent. My daughter had a tough time transitioning, but the teachers helped her to overcome and work through her behavior issues. Now she is another school that is Dual Immersion and offers three languages. I feel that the only area that the school could work on it their customer service. (office staff)

Posted September 24, 2013
I'm sorry st.johs but the school has a big fall I was a student in this school and yes I do speak Spanish but yes I have seen people get bullied for not speaking Spanish the kids here are very pervertive and nasty they say bad words in back of the teachers and the smoke smarties I mean really this school is a epic fail !,,,,

Posted September 04, 2013
SJOTC is not a great school. It's teaching is antiquated and has not kept up with current research or instructional practices. We have one child who will excel no matter where she is and our other needs extra support and nurturing. I am glad that they no longer attend and I feel sorry for parents who think that this school is able to support their children socially, emotionally, and academically.

Saint John Of The Cross Catholic School 2

Posted June 25, 2013
St. John of the Cross is not a good school. Most of the students speak spanish and a lot come from Tijuana. Their children are allow to bully other students, that don't speak spanish. They constantly pick other students. If you complain about it they do nothing: they don't want to lose the money from the large TJ population of students at the school. The teachers are OK, but with over thirty students per classroom there is less teaching and more homework to make up for the lack of teaching time. IIf you don't mind your kid getting bullied,and teachers without teaching credentials this school may work for you.

Saint John Of The Cross Catholic School 4

Posted February 28, 2013
It is a great school. And it is true that the school caters to Tijuana, Mexico families. This should be a plus, having the standard to be attractive to successful people willing to cross the border each day and pay the tuition (remember most earn mexican pesos). 99% of the border crossers are US citizens that do not take a dime from the US system, they pay their tuition from Mexican business, send their kids to school and by 4 pm be back at their home in Tijuana. What the school needs to do is increase the enrollment of English speaking students, preferably San Diego residents and capitalize on the potential of having this kids experience an intense exchange of culture, way of living, knowledge and promote social relations that in the future creates friends and business and cultural relations that can enrich the life and business perspective of the students, it could be a regional school, and give this San Diego and Tijuana residents a broader knowledge of their region and the opportunities ahead of them. Unfortunally the lack of vision to this date has the school in a behind the curtain battle of "we the poor and hardworking vs. You the rich and spoiled kids from mexico".

Saint John Of The Cross Catholic School
8175 Lemon Grove Way, Lemon Grove, CA  91945
Last modified Saint John Of The Cross Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Saint John Of The Cross Catholic School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top