Leona Valley Elementary School

Public | K-8

Living in Leona Valley

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $199,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,170.

Posted yesterday

My children have attended Leona Valley for the past 2 years and love this school. Leona Valley is a small town school where everyone watches out for each other. My children have made many great friends and I have too. Leona Valley has had many great activities for the children After School Movies,art and game day, Dances, Fall Festival,Talent Show,Ballroom dance, assemblies and much more. All children are treated equally and given the best care on and off the playground. The teachers are top notch and are providing my children with a great education. I know some people think that combo classes do not work...well let me tell you first hand they do! The teachers and aides have been teaching this way for years and are incredible! Myself and my children are looking forward to another great year at Leona Valley!!!

Posted June 11, 2014

Hi my name is Kaitlyn, I am a student Leona Valley school, and I just love this school! Their is a variety of school lunches, unlike my old school, which only served hot dogs. I never have had better friends than I do now. ( Including Amber, who posted her comment in December). The staff is excellent. Everyone treats each other like family. Plus, their are a lot of programs like drama, art, band, and much more! My favorite is the ballroom dance for 5th-8th graders. I am glad their is a junior high. That way ( since I am in 7th grade ) I can see my sister on campus. If you are looking for a great school for K-5-8th, this would be your school.

Posted June 10, 2014

I am a parent who has multiple children in Leona valley school and I can tell you that this is an extremely safe school for your child as well as an excellent education in academics. If you want an outstanding education for your child for your child this is the place! The kids are terrific the staff is excellent and the lack of a full time principal has been addressed and now for the second straight year she is there to address any issues. Now the seventh and eighth grade has been kept with the outstanding mr. Y still teaching. I could not ask for better for my children. God bless this school, a very happy parent.

Posted February 12, 2014

First of all there is an extreme lack of accountability & oversight at this school. My child was harassed for months before I switched schools. Zero tolerance for physical violence is not enforced. "Involved" parents are allowed to have their children with poor behavior overlooked as they are "involved" parents. It is an extremely small school & with that comes a lack of staff & support, that is definitely a problem. Many activities that are available at slightly larger schools are not available here (like holiday programs).If you have young children it is sad to miss those moments.Teachers & curriculum are decent, but obviously there is no trade off for violence, children's safety, or some cherished parent/child moments. This school is quite a drive from the AV as well, through mountains, not ideal for a commuter outside AV and an added expense. Obviously, I would not recommend this school. It is unfortunate for the teachers, as I think most of them are quite good. If you care about your children, skip this school, my child suffered a sprained finger, sprained wrist, then was ganged up on by multiple children. The 1st 2 dismissed as sports injuries, last one was the final straw.

Posted December 28, 2013

amber is my name AND I AM ASTUDENT AT LEONA VALLEY ELEMENTARY THIS IS A GREAT SCHOOL BECAUSE WE HAVE FUN LEARNING AND FUN PLAYING IT IS INVOLVED IN A LOT OF PROGRAMS I ADVISE STUDENTS ENROLL HERE.

Posted June 4, 2013

Unlike the parent below, I LOVE this school! My child has done great and has enjoyed learning! I am looking forward to another year with our teacher! She is AMAZING! If your child needs to be challeneged more, I'm sure by talking with the teacher something could be worked out. Next year we will have a new principal who will be on site full time so Im sure things will be a little different. It's a small town, small school, but BIG hearts and dedication to the students. This school may not be right for everyone, but I would definately disagree that it is a bad school. Classes may be full, but no fuller than a larger school would be or is already. I think my childs progress compares perfectly next to his friends in the larger schools. All in all I am happy with this school and would reccommend it to anyone!

Posted March 14, 2013

I would not recommend this school for any family. All of the classes are combination classes. So, your child will have the same teacher for two years. I have worked in education for over thirteen years and there are better schools and teachers out there for your child. The principal works over two schools, so she is not at the school. I have called numerous times to talk to her and she was not even at the school. It took a week and a half for me to schedule an observation in my child's room- ridiculous! I also walked into the office one time and saw the secretaries reading a newspaper. I have also seen more rigor in other classrooms. The teachers are sort of relaxed because the principal is not there. My child came home with more busywork than content rich lessons. Even online schools provide more content rich and rigorous lessons than this school does. Also, in all my years of teaching I have never seen a school district give students three weeks off for Christmas and two weeks off for Spring Break. Where is the dedication to students and their education? They are definitely not looking out for your child with all classes combinations filled to the max at 30 students.

Posted June 19, 2012

My children didn't want to move schools, but once they started attending Leona Valley, they really enjoyed it. They sincerely enjoyed their teachers and made a number of close friendships. It is unfortunate to see the negative reviews for this school. It is difficult to please every individual and every circumstance. The teachers are very open and put forth tremendous effort to make the learning experiences for all of their students positive. A great school!

Posted April 13, 2012

Wow! What a shame. They get a different teacher every year or two and the same with principles. When they get to Jr High, High School and College, they will have to face the same thing. Most parent are more worried about dressing their kids up like little "adults" ranter than worrying about preparing them for life an the "real" world. I see no problem with the changing of teachers every few years. Let's face it...unless they don't pass the grade they are in...they are going to have a "NEW" teacher anyway. When they go out in the "real" world, they will have many changes in their jobs..including "NEW" bosses. You need to get a grip!!!!!!

Posted January 26, 2012

My child has attended this school for six years. It is small and safe but unfortunately there is always a trade off for anything. I agree with the last reviewer about the staff always being right. There is very little administrative oversight at this school. There seems to be a group think of negativity among the teachers and aides at this school they are never wrong! There is definitely parent involvement and if you want your child to be treated nicely you better be involved. There is definitely favoritism shown at this school for certain students if the parent volunteers or they are related to the staff. I have two older children who went to larger schools and there was definitely not as much nepotism as you see at this school. I think it would be better if the principal was there more since it is not a good idea to have the teachers and aides answering to no one because they really have no accountability on a daily basis. I am not sure I would recommend this school I know that there is not a perfect school but this one does not even come close.I look forward to moving on to a larger school with more activities and less hostile teachers who seem to not even enjoy childrenGoodLuck

Posted September 21, 2010

My children attended this school but I could not recommed it. The school district puts the teachers and budget considerations before the students. The principal is rarely on site. If a parent has a concern about a teacher - the teacher is always right! Parent involvement is very high.

Posted April 29, 2010

This is a great small school. I'm very happy with my son's teacher soon I will have my youngest child attending kindergarten here. Definitely a 5 star school.

Posted February 1, 2010

I am very happy with this school. Parent participation definently isn't required any more than any other school, but its great to see how many paretnts are so supportive of the school and their children's education. And it shows in the quality of the students here.

Posted October 28, 2009

I have been at LV three years and I think that the parent participation makes all the difference. A lot of responsibility does fall to the parent volunteers, which is necessary to fill in the financial holes that the district can't fill. (Library books, some school supplies, classroom supplies, enrichment assemblies, etc.) The teachers are generally good but I think because the district seems to use the school as a principal training ground (although the administrators that we had the last two years, Mrs. Barker and Mrs. Jones were awesome) there is a certain level of indifference from some of the teachers. With that said, the teachers have a lot of responsibilities that the parents and students don't see. Overall, it is a really great, small school and I think you get out of it, what you are willing to put in.

Posted September 15, 2009

I love this school compared to other schools. My daughter is thriving, her teacher is very involved and I think it is good that the school requires parent participation.

Posted September 11, 2009

Although the school is very safe the academics are severely lacking. My son is bored out of his mind. Although there is a gifted program it is just more work. Basically the teachers my son has had have all given him worksheets. That is no way to teach 100% of the time. The alternative is not good either, not safe, drugs, gangs ect...so make your decision but be ready to beef up the academics with something additional if you choose LVS.

Posted June 8, 2009

This school is a nice school,but the parents do everything. Sometimes it seems like they run the school. You also see favoritism because of this. The teachers are nice,but the school gets a new principal every year. Kind of a Joke school,but at least it's a safe school.

Posted March 27, 2008

Leona Valley is a unique school within its district--Westside Union School District. Located in a smaller community, the population of the school is small which results in multiple combination classes throughout the grade levels. The negatives: limited extra-curricular activities and multiple combination classes. The positives: smaller student population, high parent involvement, dedicated teachers/administration, great atmosphere for school pride, continued growth in API.

Posted September 28, 2007

We are new to this school and my kids love it. They love their teachers and the small environment. I was skeptical about the combo classes, but both of my girls are doing well and thats what counts. They are excited to go to school each day. Both of my girls teachers are very easily accessible and very much in tune with their progress. Yes, the teachers are young, but I think thats great for their grade levels. The kids Like their teachers because they are young and energetic and they Want to learn from them. All schools have to follow the same curriculum. If the kids are understanding the subject matter, obviously the teachers are doing a good job. I would pick this school any day over a larger one.

Posted September 27, 2007

This is a dying school, all combo classes with little support from there district. Principal is also a combo teacher. Junior high is one class and the turnover for new teachers is high. Class size is large with combo classes and have young beginning teachers. Great for the convience, bad for learning and getting a good education.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

n/a
General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students50%

All Students45%
Students with no reported disability45%
Fluent-English proficient and English only45%

Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry