Posted August 31, 2014
This charter school pays less than most of the other charter schools in the area. I've also heard their teachers are paid less than most of the other charter schools.

Horizon Charter School 2

Posted August 06, 2014
This will be our 5th year with Horizon Charter. We really love our ST, but the school itself is laughably - and frustratingly - unorganized a lot of the time. We do the 100% homeschooling program, so we are less affected by that than I suppose we would be if we utilized any of the core classes. I have never found a good reason to trust my children's core subjects to the Auburn site - I'll leave it at that. We have, in the past, utilized Friday enrichment classes there (which dwindle down every year - this year there is only one, and currently it shows as merely "tentative"), which were OK, though I must admit I was annoyed that the teachers offered my kids soda, candy, and/or other junk food every single week. My kids refused the soda upfront, but eventually I had to tell them to quit taking the candy as well. Heavy pressure to teach-to-the-test, even in the 100% Homeschooling program. We may quit soon. The school seems able to offer us less and less of anything educationally valuable or useful (there isn't a single enrichment class left for my youngest child, now a 4th grader, for the second year in a row). School gets worse every year, IMHO.

Horizon Charter School 3

Posted October 23, 2013
I have been going to Horizon since 7th grade and I am currently in 11th. The school is very laid back, and mostly all the kids in my class have always been close. This is a great school if you want your kid to feel comfortable and avoid getting bullied, but the education isn't the best. Everything has always been very easy, and when it comes to the state testing everyone always looks confused a bit. I enjoyed my time here and met some of the greatest people I wouldn't have met elsewhere. --a student

Posted August 06, 2013
We love this school, this will be my fifth year. My children are educated at home and they attend the Friday classes at the Roseville site. My oldest daughter has special needs and their Special Education dept. is the best! She attends once a week: OT, speech and resource. The teachers and therapists are awesome. Received my curriculum early this year - I'm ready before school starts. Awesome school library - lots of support in however you choose to educate at home. My Supervising Teacher is wonderful, my kids love her.

Posted June 18, 2013
We love this school. We have been a part of the home school programs and Lincoln Montessori, they both are excellent and have provided our children with a fantastic education. The staff at both are dedicated and caring; they live out personalized learning. The upper teachers at LMCC proved their commitment to us and I would highly recommend them. Parents need to step up and be part of a solution than a problem, both programs are built on parent involvement. Charter schools do not have all the bells and whistles of regular schools; if that is what you are looking for than don't look to charter schools. Thank you Horizon for giving us excellent choice and quality programs.

Posted May 01, 2013
well after looking at all the other parent comments it sounds like its a different school. my daughter attends HCA Elk Grove. We have had some trouble with keeping a regular school administrator and teachers for the math classes. however, mrs Judith hayes has been a godsend. she is engaged, listens and has worked very hard to bringing the school up to par. I am satisfied and hope that there will still be an elk grove chapter by the time my daughter graduates. all the problems began with the previous administration. now the current admin has to clean up the mess left behind and sadly the children have to pay the price. hopefully next year things will start to calm down and smooth out. I for one am very happy!

Horizon Charter School 4

Posted February 22, 2013
My child attended a local public school and was left alone to go to the restroom and other places on the campus, the children at the public school were out of control and the Principle did nothing. After working with the staff at LMCC I found them to be extremely attentive to the children and concerned for the well being of them when speaking with the office and volunteering in the classrom as a parent. The Montessori Meathods need to be learned by parents to understand how the children learn in this self directed independent way. It has been a pleasure to have lower class size and freedom for my child to explore rather than be hearded lack cattle (children are given a number at public school) and my child is not sitting at a desk listening to teacher for six hours a day and being told to do one worksheet after another. Now she does PE and art projects and children are disciplined if they step out of line....Something I did not see at the local public school.

Posted February 05, 2013
Not the best experience for our family. Just pulled our kids. Kids have a lot of time on their hands to finish boring worksheets and not engage. School constantly had outbreaks of head lice (and yes I know this happens everywhere) but it seemed that every month I got a notice about head lice, and it wasn't like that at other schools. My advice is keep looking around there has to be a better option.

Posted February 05, 2013
I have had two experiences at Horizon with LMCC and homeschooling. First, when I went to enroll at the office on Nicholaus Road, the secretary seemed like it was the first time someone had asked to enroll in a school; it was very disorganized from the start. I chalked it up to her having a bad day. Then we took our kids to LMCC. There are two strong teachers, but the rest have the reputation (and we had the first-hand experience) of not being that great, or parents tolerate the weak teachers to get to the two good ones. I was in the classrooms, and it was overcrowded and cluttered. Only one teacher per class for a full class did not work out well. I thought Montessori had an assistant in every classroom, so a lot of kids are left on their own, unless they were misbehaving and got most of the attention. Not okay in our book so we went to homeschooling. I had a very hands-off type of supervising teacher so that was fine, but both LMCC and homeschooling lacked structure which may be fine for some families. Just not for us. The reputation of LMCC older grades and teacher is not very good; parents tend to pull their kids at some point.

Posted February 04, 2013
Fantastic school that supports parental choice! The teachers are caring and passionate. We love the opportunities afforded to us by this school .

Horizon Charter School
2800 Nicolaus Road, Suite 100, Lincoln, CA  95648
Last modified Horizon Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Horizon Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top