Lincoln, CA

Posted May 22, 2013
My son was tested for GATE as a 1st grader at Lincoln Crossing Elementary. While waiting for the results to come in, we pondered the thought of what we would do if he was identified as GATE. Are we going to send him there or not? The overall looks of the school was bad in comparison to others and the school ratings was even worst. After being identified as GATE and attending the initial parent/teacher conference we've made up our mind to send our son to First Street GATE as a 2nd grader. It didn't take long before we realized that it was about the best decision we could have made for him. His teacher, Mrs. Gonzales is a WONDERFUL TEACHER. I've helped out in her classroom weekly to get a first hand experience in her mastery of the class as a whole; loving at all times but tough when it needs to be. He loves going to school and being challenged. He loves being surrounded by kids with similar interests and learning levels. Of course, if you can pull your own weight then you'll need to find another school... but you'll be surprised how quickly kids morph into their new surroundings and methods of learning. We hope Mrs. Gonzales is there for our other two sons when it is their time.

First Street School 0

Posted October 21, 2009
I agree with many of the parents that have posted their comments. I had a choice to have my kids go to a more asthetically appealing school but I chose to have them attend the oldest and most diversified elementary school in Lincoln. My daughter is in the GATE program and absolutely enjoys it. In the short 3 years there, I can see that more parents are getting involved. However, more parent involvement is needed and I can see that the teachers really try to make up for it. There are also more activites after school, such as, technology, piano, choir, etc. Ocassionally, I'll go to the other surrounding schools for the kids' events and note that their schools have larger fields, better playgrounds, etc but I know that my kids education lies with not with the structure of the school but the teachers and my own involvement.

Posted May 21, 2009
I've been very happy with First Street School. My daughter went to 12 Bridges for Kindergarten, then Lincoln Crossing for 1st Grade, and then First Street for 2nd Grade GATE. We are both thrilled that she has finally found the BEST school in the district for her. I might notice the 'imperfections' of this school, but she doesn't. There are wonderful caring teachers and staff, an award winning Principle, and a diverse student population at this school. Test scores do matter, but you have to look beyond them to see the whole picture. My child is finally happy to go to school and that's worth more than 5 stars to both of us!

Posted January 03, 2008
I have two daughters that attend this school and at first I did not want to send them there. But after their first complete year I am glad that I didnt make any changes. My daughters kindergarten teacher was great!! She was older and I was concerned at first and I thought they were not going to get along well... Well, they did and better than I thought my daughter is currently advanced for first grade and I beleive she is ready to move onto second... My other daughter is also doing just as great and she just loves the teachers that she has had in first and second. I think the office staff is great and they really do know all the children. All the parents are friendly and not judgmental like some of the parents at other schools in the area. First Street School is an excellant school!!!

First Street School 1

Posted May 14, 2007
I enrolled my son in first street school for his first year in kindergarten. I had nothing but trouble with the teacher that was assigned to him. I would 'not' recommend putting your son/daughter into this school. I had to pull my son from the school and held him back a year (by 'my' choice). The teacher was rude and too overbearing for kindergarten children. Although, some may not agree with me I don't feel like a teacher should be a drill sargent when teaching small children. I won't go into great detail about what happened with my son but I would never put him back into the school. When I complained to the principle he basically just said 'Sorry, I'll talk to her' I wanted action taken, nothing ever happened. Just know that this school is in program improvement for the next 2 years (what does that tell you?)

First Street School 4

Posted January 19, 2006
First Street is the home of the Lincoln area GATE (Gifted and Talented Education)Class. God has sent us an incredible new teacher for this program and the children are simply at their best. We have an awesome music instructor that gets out into the community with our children's choir! Parent involvment is lacking to say the least, but our teachers just fill the void in every way! We are blessed by each of them!

First Street School 3

Posted January 09, 2005

First Street School 2

Posted October 20, 2004
I, personally found that this school was not the best for my daughter and transferred her out of the district to another school. Her Kindergarten teacher did not take personal interest in the students and was very disconnected. I felt that the instruction was not as good as it could have been. Other issues not directly related to the school but a factor in removing my daughter was their absolutely horrible 4H afterschool program which is not related to the school but is located on campus.

Posted October 06, 2004
First street school is awesome. First of all, it has a maximum of 500 students allowed on it's campus, because of the size of the land it is on, therefore your kids won't get lost in the shuffle. I have a 2nd and 4th grader and we have been here for 2 years. Every teacher is excellent. Couldn't have asked for better. Class size is small. The office staff is friendly and knows every child, since it is such a small school. For K-2 the English learners, hispanics, are separated from the English speakers and then intermixed from 3-5. First Street school also has a GATE program with an incredible teacher, which my daughter is in. I had reservations about this school to begin with, but we have had such a positive experience. We highly recommend it to all.

First Street School
1400 First Street, Lincoln, CA  95648
Last modified First Street School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
First Street School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top