Livermore, CA

Posted August 29, 2013
New Principal Shari Johnston is so great ! Very involved in every aspect, kids teachers, staff.

Jackson Avenue Elementary School 3

Posted August 26, 2010
I also agree with the reviews regarding the principal. I have seen her walk around in the mornings and just speak with the staff and not once make eye contact or greet any parents OR children. Even on back to school night it looked like she was giving a tour to a district employee. How about at least keeping that time open to reach out to parents and students? Step it up! I have had some good experiences with the teachers. I don't see the "diversity" being a problem here-like was stated in another post. I think some parents are involved in their children's upbringing, and some aren't-period.

Posted April 23, 2010
This school is amazing! My child has gone here in kindergarden and is going to finish as a 5th grader! i <3 this school.

Posted September 16, 2009
The teachers are wonderful and very approachable. Both of my children are excelling 'above grade level'.

Posted September 26, 2008
We have been at Jackson going on five years now. I wondered if the diversity might be a problem and it has been an adjustment as we have had to deal with my son learning gang signs in 1st grade, witnessing others tagging the school, but it has been very minimal. The only problem I truly see is the difficulty for the staff regarding communication as it is very weak sometimes. Now I am doing lunch time yard duty for k-5th grade and there are very few kids out of line. The ones that are are fairly simple to deal with but they are not getting better so that is a concern. Parents are enjoying the detention as at least their child is doing their homework. So I do beleive it is the parents that are not stepping up for their kids.

Posted September 17, 2008
I agree with the previous comment regarding the principal. She doesn't seem interrested in getting to know the children or parents. My child doesn't know her name and still recalls Mr. See and Turnage, and we've been at Jackson since Kindergarten.

Posted September 07, 2008
I have to say I am dissatisfied with the current principal, Tammy Rankin. I do not see her making so much as eye contact with the children, much less speaking with them. If as a parent, you have an issue, it is very difficult to contact her. Once you finally do meet with her you will need to follow up with her yourself as her 'promises to correct any situation' are never fulfilled. You would be lucky if she even recalls your conversation. It would be nice if started acting like her first priority was the children and not pushing papers. With that said, I think that the teachers my child has had have been wonderful and the personel in the office have been very helpful, courteous and pleasant also.

Posted December 19, 2007
For the 3 years I have been in JAMS I have to say it is one of the nicest elementary schools in Livermore. It has a very nive staff and the campus is very nice.

Posted May 29, 2006
Jackson Avenue is a much better school this year (2006) due to a principal change. The principal this year is back out with the kids at recess and involved. I have found that he is much easier to talk to and the kids seem happier. The teachers overall are pretty good and do care about the students, although there are a few better areas in Livermore. There are very little if ever 'gang tags' on the school, the area is rather clean and we have lived here for 8 years.

Posted May 06, 2006
I have been very satisfied with the way JAS is. We have had wonderful teachers as well as principals. Mr. See was wonderful and has made some great changes to the school that benifits all. Mr. Turnage is a great addition to the school to keep the school going forward rather than backwards. I have been at the school for 8 years and have been involved and seen some great changes. The PTO is wonderful because they have been able to help the teachers and students with classroom supplies and equipment. We have been very lucky to have such a great group of parents. We could always use more parents to make things better and enable the PTO to do more family things. I would like more afterschool programs for kids which needs volunteers as well. I'm very proud of our school. It is a great school to be at.

554 Jackson Avenue, Livermore, CA  94550
Last modified Jackson Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jackson Avenue Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top