Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted January 20, 2016
My child rarely has an hour of homework a night, and usually has even less on weekends.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted January 20, 2016
Grades are inflated. Mediocre work is rewarded with A's. There is no incentive to improve.

William Mendenhall Middle School 2

Posted January 20, 2016
A few star teachers, but several that my child has had don't seem to care about any child that is passing. Grade inflation is apparent when more than half the students have a 3.67 or higher GPA.

Posted September 20, 2015
Great leadership at this school. My daughter loves it. The principal is very hands on and a great teacher AND student advocate! She takes her job seriously and always thanks the parents for entrusting our children to her and the rest of her great staff. Though I have heard stories, our experience with teachers has been excellent for the first year.

William Mendenhall Middle School 4

Posted June 22, 2014
Mendenhall Middle School's staff, teachers and administrators work hard to keep this school above the norm. The principal is very positive and very proactive with day to day functions and keeping a very good learning environment. We are losing an excellent VP to retirement. Many teachers are very hard working and the school has an excellent math/science departments. There is a fine selection of extra-curricular activities. The parent PTO completes the equation that keeps this school above others. I'm confident that my children will be prepared for H.S. by attending this school.

Posted April 12, 2012
As a parent whose oldest child began at Mendenhall in 2006 and youngest will promote this year, it has been amazing to see, in the past few years, the level of student learning and achievement increase; observe happy, well-adjusted students who are motivated to learn; find enthusiasm and great passion for teaching among the staff; and especially a principal and vice principal who are willing to do what it takes to ensure every student gains the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful in high school and throughout life. The principal has not only tackled new student programs, which have lead to increased test scores and student success, but she has also motivated staff and given the parent community an avenue to thrive, to name a few. I am thankful my children have had the opportunity to attend such a wonderful middle school and look forward to seeing all student's test "above average" and succeed in life in the years to come!

Posted March 30, 2012
I am the parent of a happy, well- rounded student at MMS. Coming in I heard the stories about things that happened on campus and that parents were not welcome. I can say that this has not been our experience. We ve had a fantastic 3 years. My child feels well -prepared for high school and that is a reflection of the great work by the entire community at MMS. The staff, parents, and students work together to make MMS a great place for our children to learn. In response to the post about grade inflation I could not disagree more. While my child has always been a strong student we had some struggles this year. The teachers provided support but did not give unearned grades. One trimester of less than fabulous grades has inspired my child to return to habits of organization and dedication. There have been changes at the school. The staff is working together in new ways. Homework now meets district policy. And new approaches to intervention with struggling students are helping to close the achievement gap. This paradigm shift takes time and is beginning to bare fruit. I believe that this is only the beginning of great things to come.

Posted March 10, 2012
Mendenhall is an excellent middle school. I was worried before my first child entered middle school. I had heard about all the bad things that can happen to kids when they enter 6th grade. None of my fears were realized. In fact, my children enjoy school and do well. The students at Mendenhall are encouraged to reach their individual potential. If they are struggling with their studies they are given tools to help them succeed. If they need more depth and complexity in their studies opportunities exist to satisfy those needs as well. The community at Mendenhall is also wonderful and supportive. Parents, teachers and the administration all strive to make Mendenhall the best middle school possible so that the students can excel in high school and beyond.

William Mendenhall Middle School 1

Posted February 21, 2012
"Caveat emptor" I do not accept that 75% of the student body is on the honor roll and 50% is on the Principals Honor Roll (3.67+) without grade inflation. This is my second child attending MMS and I have seen very little homework on a day to day basis. My eldest child was in 8th grade 2 years ago had courses that were of higher quality and rigor. The "Buzz" from the students is that the principal will side 100% with the student /parent by bullying the teacher into reducing coursework to a basic level that most of the class is getting 100% on tests and HW. The Principal came from Junction Ave MS which under her leadership was to total academic disaster. Why the school district is allowing her to destroy MMS as she did to Junction Ave is a mystery to me. Do not be surprised if your "A" student scores a "Basic " or worse on the CST/STAR testing.

Posted January 07, 2012
I had one child already go threw this school and a another there now. It has been a great experience for both my children to date. My first was extremely prepared for High school and beyond and my second is well on the way, We have been very happy with our middle school and are glad we made the right choice with Mendenhall.

1701 El Padro Drive, Livermore, CA  94550
Last modified William Mendenhall Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.