Joe Michell

Public | K-8

Living in Livermore

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $430,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,595.

Posted April 28, 2014

Joe Michell is a great school for parents and students wanting to creatively learn and be critical learners. The faculty is outstanding and they support and recognize each child for their achievements. Our daughter is excelling at Joe Michell thanks to her wonderful teachers.

Posted March 1, 2014

Wow! This school is fantastic. The principal is amazing and working to create a first class school. Beautiful campus and fantastic programs. I am really impressed with this school. This school is the hidden diamond in the district.

Posted August 22, 2013

I have two daughters that go to Joe Michell and I absolutely love the school. I really like the new principal, she has really been a positive addition to our school. My daughters feel safe and comfortable. They have had good experiences with the teachers and the staff at the school. If I ever have any issues or need to check in with their teachers or their principal, they have been very responsive. My daughters Kindergarten teacher from the previous year has checked in on my daughter was adjusting to her new teacher and I find that very comforting. One of my daughters was diagnosed with ADHD and the school staff and principle met with me to make sure this coming year is better for her academically and that she gets the support she needs. I love how they are involved. As parents, we need to be involved in our children's education and communicate with their teachers and/or principle as needed. I also find the after school enrichment classes and the runners club great for the students.

Posted August 9, 2013

Have had a great experience at the school real community feeling. My child has really enjoyed all aspects of school.

Posted May 14, 2013

Great teachers! Must say that my child is very happy at Michell I have seen the learning curve sky rocket this year. I wanted to share what a great experience we are having with the staff and Ms. Lembo (principal) she has been very professional, caring and very involved. I am also very excited to hear that Michell is pending on an IB program that will start in the near future...

Posted August 30, 2012

New Principal and I really like her and her vision for the school. She has listened to my concerns about the middle school and already has made changes for the better in the first week of school! My child is happy there and comments on how the principal has visited their class several times in the first week and has asked what they would like to see changed as well. I love the small school/class size too.

Posted August 27, 2012

Thank you LVJUSD for listening to the parents of Joe Michell. I have two children that go to JMS. I have always loved the fact that the school is small, the parent involvement is great and the teachers are amazing. However, I was really stuggling to stay at this school this coming year because of the Principal from last year. The new Principal (Mrs. Lembo) is already so involved. It is refreshing. She has great attitude, is responsive to parent inquiries, has great ideas on how to grow JMS and you can tell she is committed to Joe Michell and the students. We are staying and can't wait to see where Joe MIchell soars to. What exciting times!

Posted August 16, 2012

6th grade orientation yesterday went very smooth, well organized and with the staff on hand to personally greet & meet each family was very nice. The new Principal Laura Lembo provided a one-on-one orientation. She addressed all my sons questions & concerns thus eliminated any anxieties associated with starting a new school . I am sorry to hear about the incidents in the past with the old principal and thank you to those families who speak out and share your personal experiences.

Posted April 29, 2012

I too had many concerns regarding the principal (Angela) and the way my son was treated by the "yard duty" personnel. Which is very unfortunate because we had an absolutely amazing experiences with the teachers on campus. My son was involved in altercations before school and at lunch (where he was punched) - and I did not find out from Angela (despite the boys being sent to the office to be interviewed by her). My son's teacher advised me what had occurred before class started for the day. My son was very intimidated by this other child - and I found it appalling that Angela kept both boys in the room while asking each child their version of what had happened. My son was too intimidated to speak up in front of the other child. Angela told me that because my son did not defend himself he too would receive detention. Angela definitely lacks some experience in child psychology.

Posted April 23, 2012

So glad that I am not the only one who feels this way about angela ulrich. She has torn my son down emotionally. Has not returned any of my phone calls concerning my child being slapped in the face on her campus and has said inappropriate things to my son like this is the reason no one wants to come to your birthday party. I caught her one day after school with another staff member yelling at my son in the office in front of everyone has he balled his eyes out. Extremely unprofessional and she is a down right bully!!! Do not send your children to this school.

Posted January 6, 2012

Agree with previous parent. Can the school district listen to the parents and teachers. While our family thinks Mrs. Ehrlich is a nice person she is not getting the job done. She rarely returns phone calls, doesn't follow through on important action items, doesn't support her teachers which is huge since they are taking care of our children during the day. Please LVJUSD listen to the parents and teachers and get someone in here that works with parents, students, teachers and the PTO to institute long-standing programs and leadership for our future (the children)!!!

Posted October 18, 2011

It pains me to not give Joe Michell School five stars, but I can't in good faith. The reason is solely because of the Principal. She is horrible!!! She gives the impression she is involved and that she is there for the students. However, she is no where to be found except for when District personnel are on site. On a very positive note, however, the parents and teachers at Joe Michell are simply amazing and the most dedicated group of individuals. That is why it's hard not to give Joe Michell five stars because on every other account the school is GREAT. Lose the Principal, get a real leader that works with the teachers, parents and is there for the students.... and Joe Michell will be one of Livermore's most desired public schools. Really!

Posted September 2, 2011

I am a mother of a 1st grader who attended kindergarten there. I am so pleased with how much he learned as well as how much my son grew socially and the confidence he has. This great school helped that. He was chellenged yet reinforced postively when he learned new things. Parent involvement is key and Joe Michell has and promoted that. I do feel the administrateive office lacks warmth sometimes but they're not there to make me feel warm and fuzzy. Like the kinder detention. Yes, it is harsh for little ones but its goal was to have every child there on time. Nothing wrong with that. I much rather have their intentions be good and their delivery need a little help then the opposite. Any issue I had was taken into consideration quickly and solved. Overall a great school. Wer'e happy we are back and plan to continue his educationa there until 8th grade.

Posted June 2, 2011

My son has been at JM for 2 years now. It has by far been a stressful and underwhelming experience for us as parents and my son. The school does not deal well with children that have special needs. I was told to medicate my son and that there was nothing the school could do to help. He did not qualify for the programs for assistance the principal said because he wasn't recommended by the school for them. There was no one at the school that specialized in dealing with children with is specific problem and he became a target. The principal is not friendly as I have spoken with her a number of times. There have been many incidents that I was not contacted at all, and she never has a good reason. Her people skills are truly lacking and I cannot wait until she is replaced. I do however LOVE his teacher and she has been amazing in keeping me informed on my sons progress. I can tell she really cares and I am grateful for her.

Posted December 9, 2010

The middle school teachers this year are OUTSTANDING. Really professional people who really know how to think outside of the box and care about the kids. They actually communicate and work with the parents (almost non-existent with most middle school teachers). For parents who think their child would do better in a small middle school environment -- about 60 kids in each grade vs 260 -- where they won't slip through the cracks, Joe Michell is the place to be. Like other reviewers have mentioned, the principal is not the best administrator. She is obsessed with assessments (practically every month!), does not know how to handle discipline, doesn't return phone calls or emails, meets with children dispensing punishments without notifying parents, and has very little to offer any student with special needs. She's been known to single out and students and families that she doesn't like, and numerous complaints have been filed with the district office. GOOD NEWS is that she rarely has any interaction with middle school anyway.

Posted September 21, 2010

Joe Michell has excellent teachers who really care about their students. Unfortunately, the principal is more insterested (like most administrators these days) in high test scores than anything else. This results in teachers having to spend far too much time "teaching to the test." Sure, that is what gets our schools money these days, but is it right? My other problem with the principal is her Rules and Regulations attitude and policies. Who ever heard of giving a kindergartener lunchtime detention because their parent got them to school late? What is that supposed to teach the child? Other than the principal, it's a great school The teachers are wonderful, the kids and other parents and wonderful and participate and there's a nice sense of community there.

Posted April 26, 2010

In conjunction with the previous reviews, my son too has a little bit of special needs, nothing major but because of the business-like environment, it drove him crazy. The enforcement of the rules were like that of a police-like state. I know other parents feel the opposite, which leads me to believe he was singled out. He is now in a traditional elementary where teachers and principals care about him and encourage him, he's little special needs are almost nonexistent and most importantly, he feels cared about. I can name the numerous atrocities that happen to my son at Mitchell, but I will reserve it to say, we are happy that me moved him and he is happy in another school that is encouraging, caring, compassionate, and most of all where they teach him.

Posted April 20, 2010

Don't send your kids to Joe Mitchell if you have a child with special needs. The principal is not willing to make any accommodations and she does not care about kids with disabilities or kids with emotional and behavioral challenges.

Posted April 12, 2010

I agree w/the previous review. The principal is very 'businesslike' and can seem strict. I rarely see her smile or act friendly towards the kids. However, I think overall the school is good and they have made lots of academic improvements in recent years.

Posted April 12, 2010

The school is terrible. The principal is very mean to our kids. I feel very sad for my beautiful boy who is attending the school. We will enroll him in another school next Fall.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

n/a
General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students78%

Non-economically disadvantaged29%
Students with no reported disability42%
Fluent-English proficient and English only48%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

School start time
  • 8:30
School end time
  • 2:50
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Significant developmental delay
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now