Livermore, CA

Posted February 23, 2015
I have no idea what the last two parents are talking about as far as Michell wanting it title one status and if you are certain social status you are not accepted. I am one of many Ivy league Graduates that has my daughter there and it is a wonderful school. The Academics in Junior high are great as my child get a well rounded IB education that is not taught at our districted school that only allows one elective. My daughter has a great group of friends from all social economic class and parts of Livermore. Yes, we live on the south side in a million dollar house but no one holds it against us. I think the last two parents really need to examine why they feel that way and if that is the kind of values they want to pass on to their children.

Joe Michell 2

Posted February 21, 2015
I agree with the last reviewer. The school has a chip on its shoulder and a weird cult mentality about title 1. All students and parents that are not title 1 are not welcome. If you are thinking of this school as a option because you didn't get into the charter school - don't! It is not academic in the least and the after school programs are things like parasol decorating classes! It is a really weak school with weak leadership. They need to bring in new everybody and make it a school the district can actually be proud of instead of the media charade they are playing.

Joe Michell 3

Posted February 11, 2015
Contrary to the previous review, like that the PTO is doing things differently. I see no problem, ethically, morally or any other way in the new things that they are trying. I do feel like there is a huge culture issue with this school. I have been treated as an outsider and treated poorly by some staff and parents who view my socioeconomic status as a negative making them potentially loose their Title 1 status. I can't help but wonder if the fact that people outside the neighborhood would be interested it attending Michell due to the IB program was taken into account when applying for the program. If Title 1 status is so important to the school then maybe the IB program opportunity should have been passed on because it will draw families from outside the neighborhood. I only hope that these issues can be worked on. They are cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

Joe Michell 3

Posted February 10, 2015
I really like what the IB program has to offer. I think the middle school still has a way to go to be competitive with the other schools in the city but I know it will get there. The K-5 teachers are fantastic! Currently parent participation is down due in part by new PTO leadership. Things are not being done in an appropriate manner. Hopefully this will rectify itself over time.
5 people found this helpful

Posted December 17, 2014
This school is really on the right track with taking in the IB program and the change in leadership. I wouldn't have my kid at any other school in Livermore.
3 people found this helpful

Posted December 17, 2014
Joe Michell is an absolutely wonderful school, with teachers, principal and staff that are second to none! You can tell they all truly care about the children of Joe Michell. We are so lucky to have this gem!
4 people found this helpful

Posted August 07, 2014
I am very thankful and happy to work at Joe Michell! Mrs. Lembo is a wonderful principal and she truly cares for the children, the families, and all of the staff members. Joe Michell is always looking for creative ways to keep up with the technological advances and keep learning fun and engaging. The staff is collaborative and very inviting. I feel the school and community is my "home away from home" and I'm proud to be a part of the school.
3 people found this helpful

Joe Michell 4

Posted April 28, 2014
Joe Michell is a great school for parents and students wanting to creatively learn and be critical learners. The faculty is outstanding and they support and recognize each child for their achievements. Our daughter is excelling at Joe Michell thanks to her wonderful teachers.

Joe Michell 4

Posted August 22, 2013
I have two daughters that go to Joe Michell and I absolutely love the school. I really like the new principal, she has really been a positive addition to our school. My daughters feel safe and comfortable. They have had good experiences with the teachers and the staff at the school. If I ever have any issues or need to check in with their teachers or their principal, they have been very responsive. My daughters Kindergarten teacher from the previous year has checked in on my daughter was adjusting to her new teacher and I find that very comforting. One of my daughters was diagnosed with ADHD and the school staff and principle met with me to make sure this coming year is better for her academically and that she gets the support she needs. I love how they are involved. As parents, we need to be involved in our children's education and communicate with their teachers and/or principle as needed. I also find the after school enrichment classes and the runners club great for the students.

Posted August 09, 2013
Have had a great experience at the school real community feeling. My child has really enjoyed all aspects of school.

Joe Michell
1001 Elaine Avenue, Livermore, CA  94550
Last modified Joe Michell is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Joe Michell Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top