Livermore, CA

Posted April 27, 2015
We moved from Smith to Michell this year and are 100% happy. I am also a teacher in the district and there are so many fabulous things JMS has to offer. The small size and close knit community were why we switched. My son has blossomed and is thriving and I enjoy how involved the teachers and staff (custodians, office staff, and principal) are. Like the Cheers theme goes "sometimes you want to go, where everybody knows your name..." Fantastic environment and teachers! As a mother of 4 I am so excited to have such a great school that's also our neighborhood school for all four to attend.

Posted March 24, 2015
We were new to Joe Michell this school year. Our children had been attending a local private school, and we were a little nervous about the transition to public. We could not be happier. The teachers at Joe Michell are excellent, the community has been welcoming and we are very excited about the blossoming International Baccalaureate program. Even my youngest comes home talking about what a principled inquirer (two of the IB traits) he was that day. The principal, Dr. Lembo, has a truly unique vision for the school that has her students' best interests in mind. My children are happy socially and academically, and we're looking forward to growing with the school.

Posted March 01, 2015
As with any school, in any district, parents can make or break the school. One parent can start complaining to another parent and from there it escalates. When everybody joins together in a positive fashion wonderful things happen. I believe this is going to happen with Michell. There is new energy. Don't wear your feeling on your sleeve, change happens , embrace it.

Posted February 23, 2015
I have no idea what the last two parents are talking about as far as Michell wanting it title one status and if you are certain social status you are not accepted. I am one of many Ivy league Graduates that has my daughter there and it is a wonderful school. The Academics in Junior high are great as my child get a well rounded IB education that is not taught at our districted school that only allows one elective. My daughter has a great group of friends from all social economic class and parts of Livermore. Yes, we live on the south side in a million dollar house but no one holds it against us. I think the last two parents really need to examine why they feel that way and if that is the kind of values they want to pass on to their children.

Joe Michell 2

Posted February 21, 2015
I agree with the last reviewer. The school has a chip on its shoulder and a weird cult mentality about title 1. All students and parents that are not title 1 are not welcome. If you are thinking of this school as a option because you didn't get into the charter school - don't! It is not academic in the least and the after school programs are things like parasol decorating classes! It is a really weak school with weak leadership. They need to bring in new everybody and make it a school the district can actually be proud of instead of the media charade they are playing.

Joe Michell 3

Posted February 10, 2015
I really like what the IB program has to offer. I think the middle school still has a way to go to be competitive with the other schools in the city but I know it will get there. The K-5 teachers are fantastic! Currently parent participation is down due in part by new PTO leadership. Things are not being done in an appropriate manner. Hopefully this will rectify itself over time.

Posted December 17, 2014
This school is really on the right track with taking in the IB program and the change in leadership. I wouldn't have my kid at any other school in Livermore.

Posted December 17, 2014
Joe Michell is an absolutely wonderful school, with teachers, principal and staff that are second to none! You can tell they all truly care about the children of Joe Michell. We are so lucky to have this gem!

Posted August 07, 2014
I am very thankful and happy to work at Joe Michell! Mrs. Lembo is a wonderful principal and she truly cares for the children, the families, and all of the staff members. Joe Michell is always looking for creative ways to keep up with the technological advances and keep learning fun and engaging. The staff is collaborative and very inviting. I feel the school and community is my "home away from home" and I'm proud to be a part of the school.

Joe Michell 4

Posted April 28, 2014
Joe Michell is a great school for parents and students wanting to creatively learn and be critical learners. The faculty is outstanding and they support and recognize each child for their achievements. Our daughter is excelling at Joe Michell thanks to her wonderful teachers.

Joe Michell
1001 Elaine Avenue, Livermore, CA  94550
Last modified Joe Michell is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Joe Michell Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top