Livermore, CA

Posted August 17, 2015
My daughter started in Joe Michell last year (K) when we moved to Livermore and I have nothing but praises to say about this school. She immediately made new friends and settled in nicely. The principal along with all the teachers and staff have worked hard to accomplish the IB program and there is no doubt in my mind that they will continue to work as hard to carry it out successfully. The two teachers that she's had so far have been brilliant teachers who have kept the parents involved in all the activities and at every stage of the school year. I feel that Joe Michell has great support from the district as they trust and believe in the principal's vision. And it is partly that vision and the level of the teachers engagement that makes this school so great. The PTO is also under new leadership this year and I know that within that there will be a new enrichment program as well as other activities and events happening which will be aimed at strengthening our community. There is a real sense of community within the school. I feel very excited as to how the school will develop within this new program in the coming years and no doubt it will be a phenomenal improvement to the children's quality of education and to the Joe Michell community at large. My daughter would be able to walk to Sunset but she goes to Joe Michell where she is getting an International Education.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 17, 2015
This is part of the IB 'skills' that all students have to work on throughout the year. Parents are asked to comment on how the students demonstrated a certain trait and the students discuss this at home and at the school as well.

Posted August 10, 2015
Love this school.bgreat IB program, all grades learn Spanish, lots of different enrichment activities for kids. My son loves this school. Principal very friendly. Teachers are great

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 10, 2015
I'm hoping my son will get his teacher again as she is now teaching a different grade level. We absolutely loved her and have meet some great other teachers

Posted April 27, 2015
We moved from Smith to Michell this year and are 100% happy. I am also a teacher in the district and there are so many fabulous things JMS has to offer. The small size and close knit community were why we switched. My son has blossomed and is thriving and I enjoy how involved the teachers and staff (custodians, office staff, and principal) are. Like the Cheers theme goes "sometimes you want to go, where everybody knows your name..." Fantastic environment and teachers! As a mother of 4 I am so excited to have such a great school that's also our neighborhood school for all four to attend.

Posted March 24, 2015
We were new to Joe Michell this school year. Our children had been attending a local private school, and we were a little nervous about the transition to public. We could not be happier. The teachers at Joe Michell are excellent, the community has been welcoming and we are very excited about the blossoming International Baccalaureate program. Even my youngest comes home talking about what a principled inquirer (two of the IB traits) he was that day. The principal, Dr. Lembo, has a truly unique vision for the school that has her students' best interests in mind. My children are happy socially and academically, and we're looking forward to growing with the school.

Posted March 01, 2015
As with any school, in any district, parents can make or break the school. One parent can start complaining to another parent and from there it escalates. When everybody joins together in a positive fashion wonderful things happen. I believe this is going to happen with Michell. There is new energy. Don't wear your feeling on your sleeve, change happens , embrace it.

Posted February 23, 2015
I have no idea what the last two parents are talking about as far as Michell wanting it title one status and if you are certain social status you are not accepted. I am one of many Ivy league Graduates that has my daughter there and it is a wonderful school. The Academics in Junior high are great as my child get a well rounded IB education that is not taught at our districted school that only allows one elective. My daughter has a great group of friends from all social economic class and parts of Livermore. Yes, we live on the south side in a million dollar house but no one holds it against us. I think the last two parents really need to examine why they feel that way and if that is the kind of values they want to pass on to their children.

Joe Michell 2

Posted February 21, 2015
I agree with the last reviewer. The school has a chip on its shoulder and a weird cult mentality about title 1. All students and parents that are not title 1 are not welcome. If you are thinking of this school as a option because you didn't get into the charter school - don't! It is not academic in the least and the after school programs are things like parasol decorating classes! It is a really weak school with weak leadership. They need to bring in new everybody and make it a school the district can actually be proud of instead of the media charade they are playing.

Joe Michell 3

Posted February 10, 2015
I really like what the IB program has to offer. I think the middle school still has a way to go to be competitive with the other schools in the city but I know it will get there. The K-5 teachers are fantastic! Currently parent participation is down due in part by new PTO leadership. Things are not being done in an appropriate manner. Hopefully this will rectify itself over time.

1001 Elaine Avenue, Livermore, CA  94550
Last modified Joe Michell is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Joe Michell Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top