Junction Avenue K-8 School 2

Posted April 03, 2014
The immersion program works for the children to learn English and Spanish but in the upper grades, 3rd and 4th grade there are serious discipline issues that affect the whole class. A great percentage of the students are below grade level, sometimes two and three grades behind in Math and English. These kids go to special classes to help them catch up but there is not much progress in most classes. My child is bored and tells me that she feels that is not learning anything. The insults and language that some kids use is very, very inappropriate and the movies they watch and talk about, the things they are expose outside the school at such a young age are shocking.

Posted October 29, 2012
My son has just started Junction K-8 this year as a 6th grade student. We were worried about him switching schools and have realized we have made the best choice. No regrets. As a family, we are quite IMPRESSED with this school. The teachers are phenomenal. They make themselves available to answer any questions. Everything is about working at an equal pace. Homework is even through out the year so that students develop good study habits with the same study routine. My son enjoys going to school. He didn't at his former school. His grades are wonderful and most importantly he is very happy. Because he is enjoying his time at school, he is getting a better education. As a parent, I love that I am able to view his schoolwork on the School Loop website. It's a great tool that keeps the lines of communication going between teachers, students and parents.

Posted April 30, 2012
Whoever wrote this last review, dated 3/14/2012, obviously hasn't done their homework, let alone have a child in attendance here. The numbers are easy to confirm, our API scores have increased dramatically in the last year, our 1st year becoming a K-8, we jumped 29 points to 787 last year. http://api.cde.ca.gov/Acnt2011/2011GrowthSch.aspx?allcds=01612006001234 The State of California is no where near shutting down this school. We DEDICATED Junction School parents know where this comment is coming from, the date of post makes it painfully obvious. Junction as a school and its kids, parents and staff and teachers are greatly underestimated, until recently. And just to set the record straight DUAL immersion is where BOTH english and spanish speakers are IMMERSED in each others languages. I didn't expect to have to pull out the crayola crayons to explain that one. Children that go through this program will be BIL-ITERATE, meaning that not only are they taught a second language in reading and writing but all other subjects (math, science) are also taught in the same manner. My children are inter-district transfer TO Junction K-8.

Posted February 29, 2012
We transferred our son to Junction's Spanish Dual Immersion after a mediocre Kindergarten year in a neighboring district. Transferring from our "highly desirable", wealthier district into Junction raised a lot of eyebrows but we have been really impressed with our experience so far. Our son is getting foreign language instruction in a public school setting which he cannot get anywhere else around the area. He is also learning so much about other cultures, other socioeconomic backgrounds and, in doing so, is developing more respect and pride for his own unique background. He is excited to go to school, motivated to learn, and challenged everyday. It is amazing to see how much Spanish he can read, say, and understand in just a few months' time. This is all due to the great learning environment, dedicated teachers, and supportive principal and staff. The dual immersion program follows a 50/50 model, with kids getting instruction solely in English or in Spanish on alternating days from two teachers. The school offers free programs such as music/instrumental instruction for Mariachi, gardening, and hosts Science nights, math nights, and other community/educational events.

Posted January 30, 2012
My daughter went to this school 8 years ago and I liked the school then. My son is now a 6th grader there and we LOVE it. The class size is small, the teachers are very approachable and responsive. They want your child to excel. My son loves the activities for the Jr. Highers. We have not had any problems with either our daughter or our son. Great parents too:)

Posted January 30, 2012
The dual (language) immersion program is excellent. It is amazing how fast children can learn and understand a 2nd language. The teachers make the program. The Principal is very supportive of the program and easily accessible.

Posted December 14, 2011
What can I say; this is a school you cannot afford to pass up. My family and I ONLY speak English, we currently live in the Sunset school area of Livermore, and before I knew what Junction had to offer, my daughter attended Our Savior Lutheran School. My original thought was that you get what you pay for. So private school must be better that public, right? Well, I was wrong. No Livermore school can compete with the awesome Dual Immersion (DI) program that Junction offers. After touring the school, meeting the teachers, administrators & other parents and then going home and doing my own research about DI programs, we all decided to switch schools mid yr. My daughter knew very little Spanish but we felt confident that with hard work we could catch up. She s now in 4th grade and is doing great! Her star test scores are high, all while spending literally the year learning every core subject including math in Spanish!!! Her Spanish is good enough to have telephone conversations with native Spanish speakers after only 2 years in the program. I m still amazed and a little jealous that I didn t have the opportunity to learn a 2nd language in school when I was young.

Posted December 07, 2011
We love Junction! There are so many activities going on after school. My son's teachers are wonderful and he has made lots of new friends.

Posted December 06, 2011
My son has been going to Portola/Junction for over 7 years. As a parent I've seen many transitions in that time. The current Junction K-8 staff are a committed group of professional, teaching using the most advance techniques available. You won't find a more dedicated and caring school in the Tri-Valley.

Posted November 15, 2011
Wow, Junction's Dual Immersion program is a hidden gem. The teachers and administrators are amazing. My son is thriving and is a grade level ahead in reading and math. He is taught every other day in Spanish, a language we do not speak at home. In first grade he's speaking Spanish voluntarily at home. The school makes me feel like I am a part of a loving, caring community committed the the education and well-being of my child. I couldn't be happier. Junction is giving him a gift I couldn't; the gift of a second language.

Junction Avenue K-8 School
298 Junction Avenue, Livermore, CA  94551
Last modified Junction Avenue K-8 School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Junction Avenue K-8 School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top