Emma C. Smith Elementary School 2

Posted May 16, 2014
Why doesn't the principal interact with the children? We came from private school back east and the principal knew all the children. It was like a family.

Posted May 08, 2014
Great school! Only complaint I have and I have heard from other parents is that the principal is not very active with the kids. I have never seen her come out in the morning or after school to see the kids. No involvement.

Emma C. Smith Elementary School 4

Posted October 01, 2013
I absolutely love this school! The teachers and staff are all VERY caring and compassionate towards the children. All the programs the school offers children are amazing. The only reason I did not give it a 5 star rating is because of the current principal. Getting her to follow through with a problem is like pulling teeth. She seems more concerned with all her meetings than getting to know the children. Like I said before, I love, love, love this school, and the only thing I would change would be the principal.

Posted February 05, 2013
My daughter is having a terrific experience at Smith. She is learning a great deal and thoroughly enjoying herself.

Emma C. Smith Elementary School 4

Posted October 28, 2012
Hard working and caring teachers and staff. New principal to the school is student centered and supports programs. The PTO continues to work hard at providing extra activities and strong support for programs. The new "goal-setting conferences" were interesting and somewhat useful. Still don't know if we'll miss participating in the Report Card Conferences. School needs more quality and interesting activities for advanced/GATE students.

Posted March 23, 2012
I am so impressed with this school! There are lots of extra-curricular activities for students. The principal, teachers, aides, duties really work as a team to ensure students receive a good education as well enforcing rules, guidance, etc. There is a strong anti-bullying policy enforced. Parents are active in volunteering. The campus is gated and has beautiful grounds. As a parent and teacher, I am so happy my children are attending this school.

Posted March 05, 2012
Love Smith School! From the tremendous parent involvement to the amazing teachers, I can't imagine a better school for my 2 kids. The State has put a lot of pressure on schools and kids have to learn more at an earlier age these days. If a child is struggling, I have witnessed teachers partnering with the parents to help even devoting their own time after school if necessary. I was surprised at some of the comments by previous reviewers, but at Smith, parents are seen as partners in the academic process. We have great community and parental support as well from all socio-economic classes, which is necessary with shrinking budgets and increasing pressure to achieve. "It takes a village" as they say and that is what you get at Smith. Caring faculty, a principal that knows most kids by name and a group of parents that feel committed to making our school an amazing place to be.

Posted February 27, 2012
Smith 10 years ago (Mr. Vernoy as principal) did not have snobs and cliques. We have noticed this changed through the years as we had our oldest who attended Smith and youngest is currently attending. Although, we ignore these snobs and cliques. We care about our kids education and success. Smith is a great school and teachers are very helpful. Great fundraising activities, social events and programs available for the kids. Wonderful PTA members. Mrs. Nathanson really cares about our the kids and the school.

Posted September 14, 2010
Not sure where that last reviewer is coming from. I have never encountered any rude staff or teachers. Kids who struggle are given help. If your child isn't being helped, then find out why not, rather than say the whole school is against you. The community around Smith has several neighborhoods of various socio-economic backgrounds, from apartment living to people renting smaller homes, to owners of modest to elaborate homes. All of us contribute to the school whether in time or money...I know people in all of the various neighborhoods who help out, and are friendly with each other. There are certainly a few snobs and cliques, but I suspect you would encounter that almost anywhere. The majority of us care about the kids.

Emma C. Smith Elementary School 3

Posted September 04, 2010
Teachers are not interested in teaching children that may struggle with some subjects. Office staff are often rude to parents. The community surrounding the school is snotty and many parents are rude to families they see as being 'inferior' and of 'lower class' than they are. Facilities are nice, but can't make up for the fact that teachers and staff don't communicate with parents, and the snobbery of the surrounding community is sometimes unbearable.

Emma C. Smith Elementary School
391 Ontario Drive, Livermore, CA  94550
Last modified Emma C. Smith Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Emma C. Smith Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 77 reviews. Top