Our Savior Lutheran School

Private | K-8

Living in Livermore

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $430,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,595.

Sweep tile

Posted September 23, 2009

The Teachers are the best, they care for each and every kid as if they were their own. They teach the kids several levels above their actual age/grade preparing them for their future.

Posted September 16, 2009

When I first became involved with OSLS it was a great school. The staff were all on the same plan and the teachers followed the curriculum. As my child progressed through the years the curriculum got lost. Some teachers decided that Shurley English wasn't important and only taught it 2 days a week. Fourth grade was the worst. Neither teacher taught any English. They did love to give homework. As a fourth grader my child had 3 or more hours of homework a night. There was a lot of singling out by the staff at OSLS which in my opinion is unacceptable at a Christ centered school. I pulled my child after 6th grade because I did not have confidence in the 7th and 8th grade teachers. My child went from a low GPA to being an honor student in the new

Posted August 22, 2009

Awesome I love my school I am a student there!
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 25, 2009

Our Savior Lutheran has a wonderful school program with childrens education & moral judgement being most importanta. Highly recommend.

Posted June 2, 2009

We love OSLS. Our children, now entering 6th and 4th grades have thrived there. They have been attending since they were 3 years old. I challenge anyone to find a perfect school, public or private. OSLS has had it's changes but certainly, so has every school in the country. OSLS is our home and we are so proud of it!

Posted February 18, 2009

We will be leaving Our Savior for next year and going to a public school. The current 4th grade is full of 'cliques' and if you aren't 'in' then forget it (parents & kids). The Christian values that are taught are not carried out in the social aspects of the school (after school care, recess, etc.) I would not recommend this school to anyone. We have hoped for improvements in academics and curriculum but haven't seen any in 4 years.

Posted November 14, 2008

I love this school. My two children completed their middle-school years here with great academic success. They were both well-prepared for the transition to honors/AP level courses at Granada HS and excelled there because they had been challenged at OSLS. When we arrived at the school, my son, a seventh-grader, had progressed beyond the school's curriculum in math. His teacher was very willing to work with us to put him on a self-study math program that allowed him to take Algebra II in 8th grade. This school is a wonderful Christ-centered environment that I know greatly contributed to my children's academic success as well as their Spiritual faithfulness.

Posted November 12, 2008

I have three children currently attending OSLS, one in 1st grade, one in 3rd grade, and one in 7th. We have been very happy with the school. The teachers are extremely caring, and the children are definitely given a good grounding in the Christian faith, and a sense of being individually nurtured. The school has a wholesome atmosphere; I haven't heard any foul language during the whole time my children have been there, and I like the dress code (uniforms). The weekly chapel is great with lots of singing and a message geared toward the kids. If you want a Christ-centered school, this school really does strive to instill Christian values. The academics are excellent as well. They are currently starting accelerated reading and math programs that are computer-based in addition to the regular curriculum, so that children have the opportunity to progress faster.

Posted August 11, 2008

My son started last year 07-08 and loves this school he actually wants to go to school now it used to be a fight every morning he is thriving we'll see how this year goes compared to other schools in Livermore this is a great school. I also have a friend who moved her three kids and they love it too.

Posted April 8, 2008

Unfortunately, we had to withdraw our children from this school recently. The high teacher and student turnover rate is a problem. We did not feel our children were academically challenged. The school is religiously focused but far less academically focused.

Posted February 2, 2008

This is our 2nd year at OSLM and we are extremely pleased with the school and staff. Yes, they have gone through some staff turnover recently. However, I feel the overall changes have been positive and are sometimes necessary. Our children are thriving here.

Posted November 24, 2007

My experience at OSLS has been mainly negative. I do not feel my son was challenged at all and we experienced a high turnover of staff. The school is on a downward spiral, in my opinion. It's unfortunate after many years of attending. Particularly, we experienced a decline in the middle school.

Posted September 21, 2007

School year 07/08 is off to a rocky start for middle school. Another year of tutoring. We will be withdrawing from the school-I really trusted they would fix their problems after last year. Beware anyone considering enrolling in this school. They were an outstanding school for years, but have seriously lost their way.

Posted June 24, 2007

I feel Our Saviors is going through a high teacher turnover rate and that is disturbing as a parent. I think that the teachers in grades K-5 are doing a great job but that the 6-8 could use some improvement. For the money you spend, you would expect excellence and teachers just aren't providing that..Hopefully they will work on the turn over rate and get the school back on track, as it is steadily going down hill. The principal of the school is not very easy to deal with and is somewhat evasive and does not always address the issues at hand.

Posted June 1, 2007

I'm a parent at OSLS whose children have been attending for 6 years. This year OSLS added Spanish instruction for all grades, and is planning to add extracurriculars like Knowledge Bowl, spelling bees, Jr. High student leadership etc. next year. The teachers seem to really care about the individual children and their specific academic needs, and I feel my children are treated like family. So far we've all been very happy with the nurturing environment and the high quality Christian education (good test scores). The Jr High in particular is far superior to other Livermore Jr Highs. (Bad language and poor behavior are not tolerated.) A nice school in general.

Posted May 30, 2007

The Junior High at Our Savior seems better than Livermore's public Junior Highs--Spanish, computers, and art are part of the core curriculum for all, and the test scores are higher. There are only 50 students per grade level, so the Junior High is also more nurturing for the individual student.

Posted May 18, 2007

We've been at the school for four years and have seen a steady decline in the quality of teachers and academics-there has been a lot of teacher turnover. One of the previous reviews says that many students receive outside tutoring. I find that unacceptable when you are paying private school tuition. They lack school clubs and student leadership activities. The quality of the before and after school care is horrible!

Posted April 2, 2007

It is a good school in comparison to other Livermore schools but there is definitely room for improvement. It would be nice to see additional teacher development, especially in the lower grades, in helping children excel at reading and math. The test scores are confusing since the parents generally are highly motivated and many children are receiving outside tutoring. Overall parental involvement is what helps to make this a better school.

Posted December 3, 2006

i think the school is ok exept the after school program it is bad
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 25, 2006

We have loved this school! My daughter has been here for one year so far and it has been fabulous! She loves it!

Ethnicity This school
Black 0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Two or more races 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Larry Tietmeyer, Principal
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Lutheran church - missouri synod
Associations
  • WASC & NLSA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious