No rating

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Private | K-8 | 287 students

Living in Lomita

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $402,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,500.

Posted August 31, 2013

I have children who are enrolled in this school. I really considered taking them out of this year because of all the controversies that happened last year (2012-2013). Couple teachers who were both excellent, were terminated because of complaints from a few parents. The principal only listened to this small group of parents who call themselves Catholics and Christians but do so otherwise. It is unfortunate that a small group of people has so much power to decide on a teacher's future. Majority of the parents opposed the principal's decision to no avail. I really hope that the school will get their act together this year or else this will be our last year. The teachers are great except for the P.E. instructor whose "qualities" have been described in previous posts.

Posted April 15, 2013

Judging from the reviews, it seems people either really hate it or really love it. For us, it's a good fit. We have two children who have attended the school since Kindergarten and both are doing well academically and socially. We can understand some of the negative comments posted below, but accept some of the school's weaknesses because, overall, SMMS provides a good learning and positive environment. Yes, we've had some great teachers and then some that were well...more of a challenge. We used those tough moments as learning opportunities--because when the kids grow up, they'll have co-workers and bosses (similar to classmates and teachers) that they won't get along with. Better that they learn life lessons now and how to be independent; it will better prepare them for the real world. We like how many families at the school share the same goals we have: quality education, strong family values, and a sense of community.

Posted February 27, 2013

This school really provides a quality high school preparation. Even though that does indeed mean more homework, I was really prepared for high school when I entered. The vice-principal is really nice and her way of teaching essays really helped me! The school has a warm atmosphere and I thought it was a great school.

Posted October 1, 2012

Both of my children attend thus school. It is an excellent school with a dedicated caring staff.

Posted June 17, 2012

All done and we are so very, very gratefull to finally be out of this school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted June 17, 2012

Glad to be leaving. St Margaret Mary needs stronger leaders. The principal and vice-principal do not like one another and always contradict what the other one says. The mission statement only focueses on children that have behavior problems or special education. If you have a normal child he doesn't learn anything here. Enrollment is bad too.

Posted March 10, 2012

There was a parent meeting and told us how we should protect our kids more from bad things on cyber space and text mesaging but they had a marty gras party for that LA airport executive that lost his job for sending inapprprate pictures of his thing on his cellular phone the principal should be embarased for honoring that man.

Posted February 19, 2012

The athletics director uses bad language around children all the time. He is disorganized they need a better person incharge. When my sons team lost a game those poor children run for an hour nonstop no break for punishment. We never know practices times games always canceled. I don't think the guy knows what hes doing. Our sport fee goes to the secretary his mom and we never see money used again.

Posted February 12, 2012

My friend and I are sitting here reading this. We both go to Mary Star and loved our time at SMMS. The vice-principal is AWESOME! She is so fun and prepared us so well with all those grammar steps and five paragraph essays. Yea she gave a lot of homework but now English is really easy. 8th grade was soo fun! The secretary is always there to listen. You can go to her anytime to solve your problems. We went back there last week to say hi and we really missed it.

Posted February 2, 2012

This is a great school.Everyone there really cares for our children.The kids are very well taken care of.Academics are first rate.My children play sports and the coaches are great.My children are really happy there.

Posted January 29, 2012

If that secratary likes you you're fine. If not be careful she handles money and records. Is known to hold grudges to families at the point of mishandling funds and students physicaly. She has been reported so many times.

Posted January 29, 2012

I have 4 children and my 2 youngest come here. My familiy does not feel welcome but we pay to learn not make friends. There is alot of hidden racism and deep prejudices at SMMS people only associate with their own kind and do not others. People in high positions are white. Academics below average. Principal spends half his day on supervising playground. He needs to spend more time on leading school but he is nice man. Lunch program is only fast food like Mc Donalds and pizza. Kids do not have PE everyday so everyone out off shape. No sports offered for smaller kids. No counselor. If principal could be stronger that might help.

Posted January 26, 2012

I would like to take this opportunity to thank St. Margaret Mary School for providing my child with a good academic foundation to be successful in high school. My child received a 4.0 grade average including difficult Honors classes and participating in sports this semester. SMMS taught my child to have good study habits and organizational skills. Thank you for providing my child with a very good Catholic education.

Posted January 23, 2012

St.Margaret Mary School is a great school. My daughter went all the way through and was well prepared for high school. The school does have high expectations, and with proper parent support, those expectations can are achieved. Last yea,r over 50% of the graduating 8th Graders were accepted into honor high school classes in Math and English. I believe the school just received the highest accreditation rating from the state. Keep up the good work!

Posted January 16, 2012

My husband and I used to volunteer for different clubs but got tired of the negatives. Parents hate teachers and teachers get revenge by giving too much homework. Teachers always fight with each other or gossip about administration. Nobody knows whos principal because the secretaries and teachers think they're the boss. Parents complain all the time because nobody listens. Then everyone smiles and pretends to be your best friend. My children hate this place so we are considering leaving. SMMS is a place for hypocrites and too much homework.

Posted December 7, 2011

Why can't the principal get rid of that bully english teacher? Homework is based on quantity but not quality. My middle school son spends 3 hours writing hundreds of sentences. But the work has no educational value. Today she told the class they wouldn't amount to anything in this world! Alot of parents want to leave SMMS because of her. Enough is enough!

Posted December 6, 2011

Some teachers are okay but most are really bad. If you question the english or religion teachers they punish your kid. This place just wants your money and don't listen to parents.

Posted November 26, 2011

I agree with the previous post the vice principal has ego. She is also the English plus History teacher and gives too much work my kids always bringing three hours every evening for her classes. Kids are afraid to ask questions because she likes to bully people Parents wish the principal would step in but that guy is also afraid of her.

Posted November 21, 2011

I will be pulling my children out of this school this Christmas. I was hoping to wait until June but we have had enough of the vice principal who loves her power trips. She has an ego problem and no compassion for kids.

Posted April 8, 2009

Smms prepared their students very well for high school,especially their english teacher.So, you have more choices on which high school you prefer,on top of that, most of these 2009 graduates are in the honor classes as high school freshmen.Thank you very much smms staff

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mrs. Becky Campadonia
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

25515 Eshelman Avenue