K-4|Private

Bad
Good

My son has been going to this school since kindergarten and I have nothing but great things to say! All of his teachers have been amazing, the administrator is firm but fair and highly organized. The students are provided well balanced and home cooked meals, that are of a much higher quality than what you find in public schools. They have a variety of toys and activities that you just don't find on the public system. My son is extremely happy there and at the top of his class! Well worth the investment in your child's education!

This school academics for the most part are great and push your child to excel. However this school tends to be test driven and when a child is doing poorly or lacking in a subject. The attention is brought to you but no additional resources or help is given. Isn't the purpose of teacher is to bring the best out of their student? The School once had a great administrator, now it seems as though the principal in place is miserable lacks emotion. There is no unity at school, no recognition for students. The principal in place lacks empathy and her communication is horrible. I would avoid sending your child to the elementary school. Once a flourishing school with amazing teachers and leaders, now its simply a school collecting money .

The academics and teachers are excellent. My daughter in in K and her teacher is very positive and always has time to speak to parents. However the administration is of very poor quality. Upon meeting with the current principal/administrator about my daughter possibly being bullied I was told (in short) the other child is intelligent and wonderful and everyone loves her and your child is mean spirited. I was told the other child could not be a bully because no one has ever seen it. However, on 3 separate occasions I witnessed this child acting inappropriate to other children while the staff were too busy talking and carrying on to notice. The principal was clearly biased against certain students and she made that very clear in the meeting. None of my fears or concerns were acknowledged at all. The school and academic is great but I do not recommend this school strictly because of administration.

Oakwood Academy is a great elementary school if you are looking for a small school with a family feel. There are lots of extra activities for the children to do and the teachers are very caring.

Oakwood Academy is a great school if you are looking for a small school with a family feel. The teachers are great and there are lots of extra activities for the children to become involved in.

I have two boys enrolled in this school and they have been there for five years. I must say that comparing to a public school, Oakwood Academy has great academics but also a loving environment. As a parent, i truly appreciate the family atmosphere where everyone knows everyone. Also, i would like to commend the staff for providing the extra security for students. There's nothing I would change about this program. I love it and my kids do too!

What a great value! In these tough times, I've debated whether or not to take my child out of Oakwood Academy to save money. After researching public schools and after school programs, this is the best way to go! My child loves going to school, the teachers are personable, they are open from 6 to 6 and they even have extra curricular lessons. What a packed day! All for about 150 a week, give or take. I wish I had more friends to tell....

I have worked for Oakwood schools for 4 years now and can tell you this is a safe place for your child to learn and grow! I noticed some of the comments about television and would like to say that our facilities are open from 6-6 & before your child's teacher comes or after they leave to accommodate our 12:1 ratio that we are proud to offer we place the children into groups for a movie. It is never more than an hour. Occasionally it is educational, but the children are in an educational environment all day. We are proud to offer both education and fun! Stop by in the middle of the day & you will find them intently working! I went to the Oakwood schools since I was 2 years old and am now a nursing student at a private university. Invest in your children. Choose private schooling!

This school is great for academics, but leaves much to be desired for building self esteem. The children all pick on each other and the teachers never seem to catch any of it. I haven't really seen any enforcinging of the 'do unto others...' rule. Also, They watch a lot of television. In the afternoon, it is TV time. That is bothersome. Couldn't they find a hundred other things to do with the kids instead of plop them in front of the TV?? I want to get my kids out soon.

Oakwood academies identifies itself as offering individualized and accelerated instruction to each student. This is not the case depending on the teacher. Two of my three student were stopped from doing beyond grade level work. My Kindergartner tested at end first grade and second grade in reading and math respectively prior to entering Oakwood. The teacher decided to hold all the kids at the same reader level, and not start reading in kindergarten until all the kids learned how to spell the basic phonics words. Then limited the students to 3 pages 4 days a week in basic phonics readers. She told my son he was not allowed to read ahead, not allowed to continue with the level 2 books he was reading independently, and allowed only kindergarten math. He tested the same exiting the program as entering. Local Montessoris are better at differentiation and acceleration if you can afford them.

Last modified Oakwood Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-4