Long Beach, CA
Students enrolled: 1,287

Powell Academy For Success 1

Posted May 27, 2015
I as a student of the school can tell that this school is not good my years of being there has brought me good memories most bad. When I first started there in 3rd grade the first thing that happened was I got punched in the nose. I currently am in 7nth grade. Later in 4 or 5th grade I got beat up again. I had blood on my lip & going down my eye lids. This school is more like a prison. You must be careful of where you step. The homework intensity is insane. Some teachers are friendly depending what grade your child goes into. My experience at Colin Powell has brought me such shame & misery I couldn't begin where to start. I strongly Advise you as a Parent or student to reconsider. The meals are awful as well. As for the staff & faculty members they need to clean up their act.

Powell Academy For Success 1

Posted July 22, 2012
Bad experience with staff members. my child was being discriminated for mis-behaving according to staff. wasnt being fed nutritionist food like the rest of students. having to sit in the sun for 35 min while on detention this school is no good. parents if you have a child with any medical problem attention deficiant this not the school for you. theres no resource for special students..there being mistreated and left out

Powell Academy For Success 5

Posted June 05, 2010
i am very impressed with the school. i felt welcomed as a parent. this one of the best schools i have ever been to, no this is the best school i have been too.

Posted October 22, 2009
Colin Powell Academy of Success needs more parents and community support. The number of students is 1247, and you may have only six to seven parents on campus volunteer, Parents please get involve with your child's school. The parents who do volunteer have employment; we use our vacation time, lunch hours to support the school activities. The students and teachers need parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, neighbors to support the learning environment at Colin Powell. Thank goodness, for the teachers who volunteers so the students can participate in school activities.

Powell Academy For Success 5

Posted January 28, 2009
This school has a excellent reputation for success and a short but perfect record for safe schools

Posted January 24, 2008
I don't like this school some of the teachers don't care about the students. And it is really too many kids enrolled at this school. 3rd grade homework is not good either.

Powell Academy For Success 3

Posted November 02, 2007
The academic program can be overwhelming for kindergarten and 1st grade students. 15 pages of homework due in 4 days tends to make a child not enjoy school so much. So re-enforcing the idea, that school is fun will be the sole support of the parent. There is not enough mixture of Ethnicity among the teachers, teaching in this neighborhood. Nevertheless, I have met some K-4th grade teachers who may care about children's the on a decent level. After school program is okay, but the WRAP program tends to switch the helpers from school to school after the students have known them for 2 years, which causes the children as well as the parents to fill unstable about the program. Stability is important in these multicultural inner city schools. Some children can be a little on the aggressive side, but cognitive re-inforcement and counceling can help with this

Posted October 26, 2007
I think Colin Powell is a great school! I guess the only complaint I would have about this Academy would have to be the lack of parking!

Powell Academy For Success 3

Posted August 29, 2005
I like this school. I believe the faculty and staff care about the kids. I wish there was an accelerated program. I think it would be more beneficial to those who are above their grade level in academics. I am an involved parent and it would be nice to see more parents involved in classrooms.

Posted February 23, 2004
I believe that as far as disciplining the bullies that could be handled far better but on the whole I think the school is fine. I only know one of the teachers, Ms. Shipp, and my daughter likes her really well. She also told me after her first week at Colin Powell that the bathrooms are clean and have TP and soap. (Where she was before there was never any TP or soap and towels in them). She is anxiously waiting for the gym and the other building to be finished and has taken a better interest in her studies since being here. That tells me that something is being done right.

150 Victoria Street, Long Beach, CA  90805
Last modified Powell Academy For Success is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Powell Academy For Success Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top