New City School

Charter | K-8

Living in Long Beach

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $215,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,330.

Posted September 6, 2013

I love this school and my daughter does too. She has been going there since kinder and is now a 4th grader. I could not ask for a better more caring school than New City. The kids, the parents, the staff and all the teachers really make us all one family. We all look out for each other and are a great family. It really is a small school with BIG IDEAS!!

Posted September 5, 2013

New City school used to be a great place. There are some great teachers like Armando but many of the great ones, like claudia, jose, and brenda have left. Since closing the pine campus New City school has really gone downhill. Safety is a big concern and having classrooms in a big open space creates an environment of chaos. The school lacks accountability and if your children have any concerns with safety no one will help you. All of my children attended this school at one point but none of them are there now. I would not recommend this school to anyone. The school claims to have a strong game plan for your kids but for the most part many teachers are just shooting from the hip. My child would start to read a text and suddenly be moved onto something else without any closure or culminating task. It is really sad. We really wanted to love this school because in theory it sounds great. If your child attends NCS I suggest you sit in and observe and ask yourself if that environment is truly helping your child.

Posted April 11, 2012

Both my children go to the Pine Ave. campus of New City PS and we have been very happy with this forward thinking school. The K-2 and 3-5 multi age classrooms create a wonderful sense of community and caring among the students. Both boys are excelling in math and LOVE the music, art and science program and we love the bilingual instruction. It is amazing to know that all students and teachers, and almost all parents know each other. The parents are fiercely supportive of the school and the students. The teachers are committed and teach to the whole child. How refreshing and inspiring. My boys are curious about the world around them, full of questions and LOVE to learn. They don't view school as a chore or a burden, they are excited to go back to school after breaks and love their teachers. It's ridiculous that this website scores New City at "1 out of 10." This scoring is another example of how off track our society is on what really matters in preparing our young children for the future.

Posted April 4, 2012

Learning is reflected in so much more than test scores. Do our kids love learning? Are they curious? Do they have confidence that they can find the answers to their inquiries? Are they part of a community that is working in cooperation with one another vs. competition? Are they given the tools of problem solving? The kids at New City Public Schools are learn all of these skills and more. Your child will greatly benefit from his or her experience at the New City Public Schools.

Posted April 3, 2012

We LOVE this school. We have a 5th grader, a 1st grader, and our youngest will start Kindergarten in the fall. This is a bilingual program- our 5th grader is fluent in Spanish and English, and our 1st grader already understands almost all the Spanish she hears, and can speak quite a bit. The teachers are fabulous, and the focus is on the student as an individual learner, not as a drone test-taker. I can't say enough good things about this school.

Posted April 3, 2012

My daughter is a 2nd grader at New City and she loves it. My husband and I chose the school for the bilingual program but the school offers so much more than just the Spanish program. My daughter is learning to be engaged in her community, learning about other cultures, to be a critical thinker and be allowed to apply her skills. Of course she is also learning to read, mathematics, language arts, etc. All subjects the traditional schools teach plus so much more. How many kids celebrate Earth Day by marching near their schools chanting: "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle", in both English and Spanish? The teachers and the curriculum at the school are fantastic.

Posted April 2, 2012

This is a great school! You can tell by how many teachers send their kids here! I have even seen families leave this school only to come back.

Posted December 21, 2011

My 11 year old left New City to head off to a large non-bilingual middle school after 5 years there. Initially I was concerned that she was going to have a difficult transition but I can now say that New City prepared her well for her future. She is reading above grade level, doing honor's level math and is excelling in all areas. She is ahead of her peers as a writer, artist, musician and thinker. New City also gave her a moral compass that makes her compassionate toward her peers and a tireless fighter of injustices that she sees at school. This little non traditional school is not for everyone, but it was definitely for my daughter.

Posted December 2, 2011

My son goes to new city and it seems like hes being taught second grade material. Is this what its coming to? I dislike this very much. No wonder the district wants to close it.

Posted November 28, 2011

My daughter Mia has blossomed at New City School since kinder. She started as a shy 5 year old and now is an articulate and confident 7 year old who is an enthusiastic learner and curious about the world around her. Their learning program emphasizes critical thinking over memorization and offers music and art as well as an amazing bilingual immersion program. The best part of our experience is that Mia can't wait to get to school in the morning! Also, because the teachers and staff are nurturing and don't rely on punishment, she calls New City School her 2nd home. As a parent, I couldn't be happier and would highly recommend!

Posted November 26, 2011

We love New City School on Pine. It is small and friendly, everybody knows everybody and the staff care about your child as a whole. It has especially been a God send for my son who has autism but is in general ed. He has learned how to handle change, how to talk through any social dilemma and that learning can be fun.

Posted November 22, 2011

My son has attended New City School in Long Beach for 6 years, and I am very happy that we chose this school for him. With no report cards or grades, it is different than the schools I attended as a child, but we always know how he is doing in school. They have student-led conferences every few months where he gets to show us how he is doing and what he has been working on. There is less focus on memorization and more emphasis on understanding how math problems work. He has learned to love to read, and it is not a chore to get him to sit down with a book. He is always excited about his history lessons, and loves to talk to us about them. I appreciate their bi-lingual program, and it is neat that he is much better at following conversations in Spanish than I am. He is in a safe environment at the New City School, and I have great respect for their staff and leadership. I feel that they honestly care about him and his educational prgress.

Posted November 22, 2011

I have been sending one ore more kids off to New City for the past six years. When we first started, the whole enterprise for me was a leap of faith. When I would compare notes with moms of kids who attended other schools in Long Beach, I would usually end the conversation in a quiet panic, secretly plotting to purchase math facts flashcards and giving Saturday a.m. spelling tests. But the my child would do something mind-blowing, like solve what amounts to an algebra problem in Kindergarten and I would think, "fine, let's give it another chance." New City may not be for every family, every child. But the great unspoken truth about New City's approach, with multi-age classrooms and hyper-individual attention to progress, is that it tends to mitigate the natural variation in how quickly kids learn new concepts. Indeed -- and quite organically -- leaving no child behind.

Posted November 22, 2011

After sending 3 children through traditional Calif. schools that were a maze of testing and often critical, competitive, one-size-fits all programs, we sent our last child to New City School four years ago. The bilingual, constructivist curriculum is supported through strong and long student-teacher relationships. A culture rich in music and the arts and an active commitment to educating students about social justice and healthy lifestyles is evident across the disciplines. The high level of parent input and involvement and emphasis on students' collaborative learning process are key to the school's success. The recent addition of an urban farm has provided yet another opportunity to engage in real-time exploration and learning. This is a school that responds and grows with the needs and challenges of a rapidly changing world; a place where Spanish is sung, art is individually designed and molded, and young hands plant seeds that will one day noursh them.

Posted November 22, 2011

We have attended NCS for 2yrs and are more than happy with our daughters progress. She is reading & writing so well. She loves her teachers & the staff. She has lots of unique opportunites at New City that she would not have at other schools in the district! I recommend New City to many parents each year.

Posted November 21, 2011

My 5th grade son has attended New City Public School since kindergarten. We chose New City because of the emphasis on the whole child, problem solving, second language acquisition, and developing a love of reading, and school, in general. Our son has received a good education, feels that he is in a good, safe, place, has embraced problem solving both academically and interpersonally, and has acquired a love of reading. We are very happy with New City School and it has proven to be a great alternative for our family.

Posted November 21, 2011

My son entered K last year and we chose to attend New City School rather than our highly-ranked (by test scores) neighborhood school. We have definitely made the right decision for our family. Things I love about New City - the bilingual program, its emphasis on the environment and social justice, the farm and the hands-on science lessons that take place there, field trips, small classes, a strong sense of community, no drilling and memorization for standardized tests, student-led conferences, daily music, and electives. It is a school staffed with committed teachers and administrators who passionately believe in the school's mission.

Posted November 21, 2011

This school is wonderful place for children to learn. My child has been in the program for six years and has thrived (I drive from an affluent neighborhood far way to have her attend). Her teachers are amazing at bringing out the best in children.I could list an endless array of the benefits of this sort of learning: an appreciation of history through the prism of social justice, a math program that teaches math understanding over result-driven algorithms, bilingualism as a means to navigating our multicultural world, why fairness matters, how being a morally autonomous person means more than just getting stars on the board or not getting in trouble ( it means caring about others and treating them as ends in themselves), how science fuels innovation, why music and art matter, how every person (even a child) has a voice and should be heard, how learning is something that we should all love to do (not just to get grades or high test scores) because learning is good and fun and makes us better citizens, etc. I recommend this school to everyone. It is a model for the right kind of learning. Ahead of its time perhaps. But what new way of thinking was ever accepted when it was proposed?

Posted November 19, 2011

NCS is currently in jeopardy of loosing their Charter. They are ranked LOWEST school in the LBUSD and have some of the lowest test scores. This school is failing and so are the students. My child has been in NCS since Kindergarten. Now in the 3rd grade and at barely a 2nd grade literacy I am taking her out. The none traditional form of Math is taught in Spanish. No hom from te work or tutoring to help out the students is offered, even after requests to Director. The open environment of the LB Blvd campus can be chaotic and distracting for some learners. I would not recommend this school academically. The philosophy is great as well as the dual immersion but that is all the school has to offer. That is not enough for my child.

Posted September 8, 2011

Thank you for so nicely saying all the things I feel about this school! My child just started kinder there, and while the outside world seems to regard my choice as a naive mistake, I feel very lucky to be there. It is a privelege to work with such a caring staff that truly understands that I am entrusting them with caring for the most important person in my life!!!

This school's
API score

660

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

1 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students23%

Hispanic or Latino16%
Students with no reported disability17%
Fluent-English proficient and English only19%
Parent education - declined to state27%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students11%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Cafeteria