Public charter
Long Beach, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted November 19, 2014
My child is a kindergartner at New City and loves the school and her teacher! She comes home bursting with new ideas and information (how a starfish walks, what readers do, how she and her math partner solved a problem). The constructivist pedagogical model that the school's curriculum is based on is on the cutting edge in terms of developing critical thinking, problem solving, and analytic skills. All of this in two languages!

Posted September 06, 2013
I love this school and my daughter does too. She has been going there since kinder and is now a 4th grader. I could not ask for a better more caring school than New City. The kids, the parents, the staff and all the teachers really make us all one family. We all look out for each other and are a great family. It really is a small school with BIG IDEAS!!

New City School 1

Posted September 05, 2013
New City school used to be a great place. There are some great teachers like Armando but many of the great ones, like claudia, jose, and brenda have left. Since closing the pine campus New City school has really gone downhill. Safety is a big concern and having classrooms in a big open space creates an environment of chaos. The school lacks accountability and if your children have any concerns with safety no one will help you. All of my children attended this school at one point but none of them are there now. I would not recommend this school to anyone. The school claims to have a strong game plan for your kids but for the most part many teachers are just shooting from the hip. My child would start to read a text and suddenly be moved onto something else without any closure or culminating task. It is really sad. We really wanted to love this school because in theory it sounds great. If your child attends NCS I suggest you sit in and observe and ask yourself if that environment is truly helping your child.

New City School 4

Posted April 11, 2012
Both my children go to the Pine Ave. campus of New City PS and we have been very happy with this forward thinking school. The K-2 and 3-5 multi age classrooms create a wonderful sense of community and caring among the students. Both boys are excelling in math and LOVE the music, art and science program and we love the bilingual instruction. It is amazing to know that all students and teachers, and almost all parents know each other. The parents are fiercely supportive of the school and the students. The teachers are committed and teach to the whole child. How refreshing and inspiring. My boys are curious about the world around them, full of questions and LOVE to learn. They don't view school as a chore or a burden, they are excited to go back to school after breaks and love their teachers. It's ridiculous that this website scores New City at "1 out of 10." This scoring is another example of how off track our society is on what really matters in preparing our young children for the future.

Posted April 04, 2012
Learning is reflected in so much more than test scores. Do our kids love learning? Are they curious? Do they have confidence that they can find the answers to their inquiries? Are they part of a community that is working in cooperation with one another vs. competition? Are they given the tools of problem solving? The kids at New City Public Schools are learn all of these skills and more. Your child will greatly benefit from his or her experience at the New City Public Schools.

Posted April 03, 2012
We LOVE this school. We have a 5th grader, a 1st grader, and our youngest will start Kindergarten in the fall. This is a bilingual program- our 5th grader is fluent in Spanish and English, and our 1st grader already understands almost all the Spanish she hears, and can speak quite a bit. The teachers are fabulous, and the focus is on the student as an individual learner, not as a drone test-taker. I can't say enough good things about this school.

Posted April 03, 2012
My daughter is a 2nd grader at New City and she loves it. My husband and I chose the school for the bilingual program but the school offers so much more than just the Spanish program. My daughter is learning to be engaged in her community, learning about other cultures, to be a critical thinker and be allowed to apply her skills. Of course she is also learning to read, mathematics, language arts, etc. All subjects the traditional schools teach plus so much more. How many kids celebrate Earth Day by marching near their schools chanting: "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle", in both English and Spanish? The teachers and the curriculum at the school are fantastic.

Posted April 02, 2012
This is a great school! You can tell by how many teachers send their kids here! I have even seen families leave this school only to come back.

Posted December 21, 2011
My 11 year old left New City to head off to a large non-bilingual middle school after 5 years there. Initially I was concerned that she was going to have a difficult transition but I can now say that New City prepared her well for her future. She is reading above grade level, doing honor's level math and is excelling in all areas. She is ahead of her peers as a writer, artist, musician and thinker. New City also gave her a moral compass that makes her compassionate toward her peers and a tireless fighter of injustices that she sees at school. This little non traditional school is not for everyone, but it was definitely for my daughter.

New City School 1

Posted December 02, 2011
My son goes to new city and it seems like hes being taught second grade material. Is this what its coming to? I dislike this very much. No wonder the district wants to close it.

New City School
1637 Long Beach Boulevard, Long Beach, CA  90813
Last modified New City School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
New City School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 85 reviews. Top