Long Beach, CA

Bixby Elementary School 3

Posted September 07, 2014
Most of the staff members are ok, if not pretty good. We've had one stinker per kid. Things should be good this year, but the new principal! Oh My Gosh! Yeah, we want to put our kids in a different school. Its only been 3 days and, already, she ignores what you say, talks down to you, and acted like you offended her when you talk about problems about the school. We were just telling about what its like at the school, not offending her personally, She doesn't even know what the school is like. She just started. She didn't listen to anything, and just kept trying to find ways to make us feel stupid for bringing stuff up, not to talk about our real problems, or anything. It was so weird. We Googled her, and read her reviews from her past teachers that she was in charge of. It seems like they (the teachers) were treated like us. Like they didn't feel safe talking to her, she wasn't fair about discipline, and you can't trust her. We also felt like she was distracted (like thinking about something else) while we were talking to her. Pretty weird. We don't know what we want to do. The teachers are good, but if she isn't going to be fair, or blabs about what we talk about, then its not ok.

Posted June 25, 2014
Bixby is an amazing school. My son has learned so much! He is currently in the PALS program and I couldn't be happier. Communication is amazing among parents, teachers and all staff. They have an abundance of after school clubs that students can choose from. As with any school, be involved. Your school is what you make of it. Mrs. Jones sadly is leaving this year to pursue another career path and I can only hope that the new principal is just as amazing as she was.

Posted June 06, 2014
I love this school!!! Both my GATE kids love this school!! This is the number one school in Long Beach Unified with heart and soul. Every school teaches your kids... We just like the friendly way Bixby does it. It is a caring , relatively small school, that get the job done. Supportive, caring, highly trained teachers that educate your child and make learning fun. Go Bixby...This is our 10th year at Bixby!! And regrettably our last. Onward Stanford.

Posted April 28, 2014
Okay, where do I start -- With the caring teachers? The spirited staff? The awesome groundskeepers? The great students? The involved and active volunteer parents?? It's all added up to an absolutely fantastic school experience for my kids. Through the challenges of budget, staff and curriculum changes, everyone has still managed to remember the importance of teamwork. Great!

Posted August 13, 2013
Bixby rocks! Every year we have been here it seems as though the parents get more and more involved and really pull the school community together.

Posted August 08, 2013
I love the small community is Bixby Elementary. The teachers and staff are excellent. We have a great PTA with involved parents.

Posted August 08, 2013
Bixby School is a special place that not only values student achievement but is a true community of students, parents, teachers, and classified staff, working together to address the needs of every child.

Posted October 27, 2012
After our home school was closed our son was sent to Bixby. It has been a great experience, the community feel of this school made us feel welcome. The teachers my son has had (Stamper) and now has (Wilkerson) are excellent. The WRAP program is excellent, my son doesn't mind having to go and that takes away some of my guilt that he is at school from 8 to 5:15.

Bixby Elementary School 3

Posted July 31, 2012
First and foremost, Bixby has been a great school for both of my sons. One has moved on to Stanford and the other is in accelerated classes at Bixby and I have been very pleased with his 3rd grade teacher Mr. Yaffee. I have to admit he did not feel challenged enough but I think the instruction was adequate for his age. PARENTS reinforce what your kids are learning at school at home and PARTICIPATE in the PTA. This is where a lot of decisions are made about what type of equipment your children have available in their classroom and extra activities that enhance their learning like Authors day, Meet the Masters, etc. Volunteer in the classroom, this makes your child proud to be at school. I work, but I take the time to participate on both PTAs and volunteer at both schools occassionally. Most importantly Bixby is a safe school and the staff is professional and friendly. You will only get out of education what you put in it so help your kids with their homework and enhance their learning with outside activities...museums, travel, etc. I like Bixby and so do my kids and that is more important at this time.

Bixby Elementary School 1

Posted July 30, 2012
My son entered Kinder last year and I really should of taken him out of the class after the orientation. Its a bad sign when a teacher announces to the parents that she was a 4th grade teacher and then was "stuck" in Kinder for this year. Needless to say, it was not a great year for my son. As a result, I have had to put him in extra tutoring to catch up and so have the other parents in the class. I am also constantly assuring him that school is fun....which it should be. My score is solely based on this one teacher. I hear the other teachers are good. I hope this is true for the sake of the other kids. But I think we are going to pass on this school for the coming year. Best of luck to all that remain.

Bixby Elementary School
5251 East Stearns Street, Long Beach, CA  90815
Last modified Bixby Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bixby Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 57 reviews. Top