Burcham Elementary School 3

Posted January 31, 2014
Burcham parents or staff, please share how you manage after-school care/support with T-K? I've had a positive impression of the new principal, Mrs. Sanchez, and the TK teacher but am sad there is no after-school option for TK like other grades and schools. I wonder if more families would be willing and able to give Burcham a try if this was addressed? If there is after-school for TK and the WRAP coordinator has incorrect or incomplete information, please share who/where to contact, and I'll happily update my review. I'd hate to think the reviewer and one-star rating (June 6,2012) reflects the current principal, staff and PTA's view (that safe after-school care for working parents is only an individual parent "problem"), but at this point we have to hope we get into another school or else we can't go to TK at all, which is a pretty disappointing way to start our Burcham and LBUSD experience.

Posted January 27, 2014
Burcham has a renewed focus since Mrs. Sanchez started in Fall 2013. In my opinion, old reviews & earlier criticisms of our school no longer apply. This is a school that WELCOMES parent involvement, has a very active PTA, & staff/teachers that are caring & skilled - all nestled in a quiet & safe neighborhood campus. My kids have been at Burcham for 5 yrs & I d say the school is one of the best kept secrets in LBUSD. Besides engaged teachers & excellent leadership by our principal, we also have a great PTA. Go to the PTA website to see all we do: http://burchampta.org/programs/ Our PTA is also on http://www.Facebook.com/burchamPTA Burcham is one of the few East side schools that has kids from the West side as part of our school a small portion of students are bussed to Burcham. This has sometimes been spoken of as a negative but, to be honest, I think it enriches our school. Our school is a good representation of life in the real world you find all colors, all economic backgrounds, and a range of abilities. So, to close - we have been happy we chose Burcham. Kudos to our staff, PTA & fellow Burcham families for creating a nurturing environment for our Bobcats!

Posted January 27, 2014
We are a neighborhood family and are so grateful that we live close enough to walk and ride to school, It has helped us feel more connected to our neighborhood and my kids get ample time outside because of their comfort in our community. This is priceless and a benefit to going to your local school that many may overlook! We love our teachers and the great PTA at Burcham. We are very happy we chose Burcham!

Posted November 15, 2013
I'm really liking our new principal Mrs. Sanchez. She's doing a great job of turning our school around. Our school was always good, but she's making it a great school. She really works hard, and we can see the many changes she has done already to the school. She's always walking around the campus dealing with the day to day stuff that happens at school. I love that we go on campus and see her almost everyday, outside, interacting with the kids and parents . She's really what this school needed.

Posted January 24, 2013
My family is very happy with this school. This school has some of the best teachers in the district. My kids have done well, and their grades and test scores show it. We haven't had any problems with the principal or the office staff either. We are happy with our decision to have our kids attend their home school because... it's close to our home, they are doing well, and they have made some very nice friends.

Burcham Elementary School 1

Posted September 03, 2012
I too really wanted to like Burcham aside from reading some negative review LISTEN TO TRUTH If you are an involved parent this is NOT the school for you. The principal and staff are very distant and non-corporative. Sitting outside the office you hear the staff making rude comments out students. I have had conversations with the principal promise things to my face and doing something completely contrary to our agreement. My daughter was accepted in the school until Mrs. Diggs found out she needed additional reading help, at which point her spot was given away and I was denied access to the school. It appears if your child needs extra help this school does not want to be bothered and will not reach out to help. The counselor and principle are the first line of defense for any school and with Mr. Miller and Mrs. Diggs representing a teaching institution of caring and concern, in my opinion, they should re-think their profession.

Burcham Elementary School 3

Posted June 14, 2012
I truly love this school. The teachers are the best. The principal, on the other hand, is not so involved. She hold no one accountable when there is a problem. She is not seen on campus, and hides in her office. As for staff support from her....I think its sad. Our teachers deserve her support. I do not want to see this school close due to bad reviews...but I think people deserve to know what is going on in this school. My daughter will not be attending her 8th grade year there. That breaks my heart. My daughter deserves better support from her principal when it comes to big issues!

Burcham Elementary School 1

Posted June 06, 2012
I really wanted to like Burcham since it is my daughter's designated home school and she will be starting kindergarten in the fall, however after having 2 bad experiences with the school staff I have decided my daughter will not attend school here! I am still in disbelief after my last visit to the school office when I inquired about registration and if Burcham offered any kind of child care before or after school and was told by an employee "No we don't offer any, that is NOT OUR PROBLEM it is the parent's responsibility to figure out." It's pretty obvious why this school has the rating it does, lack of leadership and a staff who are indifferent and don't really care about the community in which they are working.

Posted May 06, 2012
great school!!! weve been blessed here. both my kids are doing really well. awesome teachers and the parents are very involved :)

Burcham Elementary School 4

Posted April 07, 2012
I am very happy with the education my children are receiving. I would say k-5 gets 5 stars and 6-8 gets 3 stars. I agree with the parent below, the bullying in the middle grades is getting worse and I too believe it is because of the principal not following through. The elementary school teachers are all amazing. The teachers and parents are what is holding this school together.

Burcham Elementary School
5610 East Monlaco Road, Long Beach, CA  90808
Last modified Burcham Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Burcham Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top