No rating

Maple Village School

Private | PK-4 | 97 students

Maple Village nurtures the growth of the whole child through hands-on learning.

Living in Long Beach

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $397,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,350.

Posted February 27, 2014

Teachers are uneducated in curriculum. They push their beliefs and opinions onto parents and children rather than focusing on children's potential. It's truly unfortunate for this school, because parents try their best to conform to this schools ignorant philosophy. Teachers are lazy and want what's easy.

Posted July 2, 2013

Maple Village School is a school with an amazing heart. We loved it from the moment our children started there, in kindergarten and in the 2/3 combo grade class. The teachers are dedicated and responsive, the staff and administration are always listening and caring, and parents are very eager to support the growth and well-being of this little fledgling school. Just by visiting this school, you can feel how special this school is. It really operates on the three-fold aspect of Waldorf education: head, heart and hands. I highly highly recommend this school to anyone looking for a self-and-community-centered education--the school creates a beautiful balance--and wanting their child(ren) to be strong, courageous and imaginative citizens of the future. What more can a parent ask for in an education, in a school? You will fall in love, I am certain.

Posted December 1, 2012

I will forever be grateful that my family found Waldorf, and Maple Village specifically. Having had a "conventional" school education myself it took a while to begin to appreciate what they do and how they do it. I now have my two young kids at Maple Village and I truly can no longer imagine sending my kids to another school. The school and the wonderful teachers seem to take full responsibility for the children, as individuals -- not just for their academic education or for their entertainment or for their socialization. I feel like my children are being guided through their first steps outside of our house, physically, emotionally, academically, and spiritually. My experience with Maple Village has already changed many of the ways I view education and even the way we raise our children.

Posted November 16, 2012

I have been a parent at MVS since it's inception. I now have 2 children there, grade 1, and parent / toddler. I can't safe enough about the warmth, compassion and reverence that goes into every aspect of this school. The approach to education is unparalleled. I am now a student in Foundation Studies for Waldorf Teacher training. Knowing that every teacher my children meet along this journey has gone thru this training makes me feel even more blessed to have found Waldorf Education. The community of parents, teachers and administrators is like family! An inspiring, warm, compassionate group of human beings!

Posted November 16, 2012

II am so glad one of my friends told me about Maple Village School! My daughter is enrolled in the Parent/Toddler class and we both love it. There is a real sense of community at this school. I value the focus on nature, connection with the seasons, play, and healthy living and eating. It is a very nurturing environment that your child will blossom in. I highly recommend you go to their website to learn more about Waldorf education and set up an appointment to sit in on a class. They currently offer classes up through 2nd grade or 3rd grade I believe. You will be so happy you did!

Posted November 15, 2012

I have both my kids enrolled in the Parent Toddler program and we can't say enough about how much we love it. We walk into the classroom and are instantly surrounded by warmth and beauty. Our teacher Ms. Lisa is amazing. My favorite part of the class is her storytelling which is accompanied by Mr. Andreas' live guitar music. I love that my kids see music comes from a real person they see every week and they come home and try to set up mini stories of their own just like Ms. Lisa. The kids and parents are treated with so much love and respect. Maple Village has inspired my family in so many ways. We have adopted quite a few traditions from the classroom setting. We also love the emphasis on nature and healthy eating and the environment is ideal for kids to learn through wholesome play and experience. I have also really come to love the community of parents which has welcomed me with open arms. And I love that I get to keep learning as part of the Waldorf experience, not just my kids.

Posted August 7, 2012

How do I put into words what this school has given my son and family? A joyous peaceful life that we all love! My son began at the school at age 3 and is entering his fifth year there this Fall. His challenging, spirited Self has been honored and gently re-directed in ways that have preserved both his innocence and his esteem. He is honestly the most self-assured yet thoughtful child I know and I know this has so much to do with Maple Village School and its incredible staff of fabulous educators. As an educator myself - of twenty years and counting - I cannot recommend a place more for instilling in our children a lifelong love of learning, an enthusiasm for life that is infectious. In my opinion, nothing is more important to the planet right now than that!

Posted June 7, 2012

An excellent concept school in a peaceful setting. Wonderful work done with the children and lots of communication with parents regarding children's development.

Posted May 14, 2012

My kids love this magical place, I can not be more happy, the teachers are so nurturing and caring, they only have healthy foods, it is environmentally friendly, "time out" does not exist :) , you can feel the good energy as soon as you enter in the hallway, it is a beautiful place, I feel so lucky to have my kids there. It is a stress free school for our children, lots of stories, acting, arts, music, playing, they have been learning so much!

Posted May 4, 2012

We're currently enrolled in the Parent-Toddler class at Maple Village, and we find it very satisfying. My son is thriving, and loving every moment, and I enjoy seeing him love learning new things, making friends, and becoming such a balanced boy.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Gardening teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Italian
Korean
Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• Korean
  • Tagalog

Health & athletics

• Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:45 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 8:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Christina Sbarra
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • walk-ins
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Waldorf
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Arts (all)
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Transportation options
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
  • Poetry
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school does not have a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor