School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The Cubberley team takes great pride in working each day to educate the leaders of tomorrow. Go Cubs!
August 29, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Cubberley K-8 1

Posted March 08, 2016
I have never written a bad review. I believe in going to the person you have a problem with to work it out. My daughter went to Cubberley, and has some special needs. The teachers were amazing at Cubberley! They get 5 stars. The administration failed. Without getting into the details, there was not the support she needed. Everything was handled wrong every step of the way. I can say, before our first day at her new school, there was more support from her new school & the administration & genuine care. It is so nice to have my daughter in a school now where I know she will be taken care of and have that support. It makes a huge difference! I let Long Beach School Board know, nothing was done for my daughter. No improvements even though they said there would be. Unfortunately I have heard from other families with kids at this school had the same experience. Kids bullied and mistreated, and no support from the principal. No support where it needs to be. It's about the kids! I am writing this review in hopes that they can work on it and get it right!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted March 05, 2016
teachers are the best part, they were all so supportive to my daughter. i think the teachers get all the credit for the positive support my daughter received.

Cubberley K-8 2

Posted September 29, 2015
This school has an advance class (PALS/GATE) where the attendance is decided with reading, writing, and math tests, as well as a "personality profile". This personality profile is a point sheet that is controlled and graded by a single persons, bias, prejudice, and perception having nothing to do with scholastic aptitude. The twist is that the parents are not even allowed to view this “Green Sheet” which holds a larger deciding factor in the child's advancement than their actual scholastic tests. Instead of arranging advancement by graded scores they use unrelated personality traits (profiling children) in order to place ones that they want in advanced classes rather than ones whom deserve it. If you wish for your child’s advancement based off of their scholastic capabilities and not “someone’s” personal opinion of your child’s creativity, leadership abilities, advancement in the arts (these have nothing to do with the program) then please share this information and investigate your child’s scores/ compare with friends. Personality profiling is not only bias but can easily be prejudism and racism. This cannot be allowed to continue.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted September 29, 2015
Mrs. Williams and Mrs McCormick are wonderful teachers with effective methods, morals, and communication skills.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted August 29, 2015
My oldest son started Cubberley in 1st grade. Having moved from LA to Long Beach and though we'd done our homework on schools when buying a home, my husband and I were still impressed upon arrival. The level of instruction challenged my son in the beginning, despite having been in the "high" group at his past school in kindergarten. During his time at Cubberley, there wasn't one teacher that didn't offer him an experience that added new intellectual tools to his tool box. He graduated in June, and looking back we feel his experience really prepared him for high school. The same can be said thus far for my youngest son who begins middle school at Cubberley this fall, and has been there since kindergarten. Our family's experience has been that of teachers who don't just teach "to" the kids, but actually immerse them in the learning experience. Activities have included a re-enactment of the Cesar Chavez protest march, a class party filled with exotic fruits and veggies that students would normally never experience as a way to celebrate ending a book that included the various foods, and regular visit to the school's garden boxes lead by parent volunteers which enhance the teacher's science curriculum. I had one son in GATE/PALS program, and one who wasn't, and both experienced a high level of instruction. The parent volunteers are some of the most active I've seen or heard of at any school. The PTA and Foundation have limited fundraising to one event per group, with 95% of the profits going to school needs. No chocolates or gift wrap! YAY! The PTA recently funded the purchase of 8 (9?) iPads and Apple TV technology that will enhance classroom instruction and create a "smart board" environment in the newly installed computer labs! Teachers encourage volunteering in the elementary classrooms, which makes a big difference, especially since class sizes were increased by the district. When my oldest went through an anxious phase, the counselor, teachers, and office team all came together to help our family through that hard time. My now 9th grader goes into this new phase completely self-sufficient and responsible for his own assignments and studies, and feels confident and excited about high school. I am forever indebted to Cubberley's excellent teachers and staff. I look forward to a few more years as my youngest son enters middle school!

Develops honesty: no rating

- a school leader
Cubberley is lucky to have a wonderful program funded by the school PTA, Rachel's Challenge, which is geared towards middle school at this time. It is a program that addresses the important of kindness and empathy.

- a school leader

Posted August 29, 2015
Cubberley is our home school but, before my daughter started kindergarten, I had it in my head that she should go to a neighboring district, where the schools have more money coming from families and a higher level of technology, etc. We were denied the transfer by the district, however, and she began kindergarten at Cubberley. Three years later, I couldn’t be happier with the way things turned out. Cubberley is a fantastic school and my daughter has grown emotionally and learned an incredible amount. She is quiet and shy, but she has had wonderful teachers who have been able to draw her out. She now raises her hand to answer questions in class without hesitation. In kindergarten, she had trouble completing assignments in class. She was meeting or exceeding all of her benchmarks, however, and her teacher understood, and communicated to me, that she was easily distracted by her active imagination. She told me not to worry and that it would most likely improve with age and maturity. Now, three years later, with the help of other supportive and understanding teachers, she is excelling and has been selected for the advanced class. Aside from great teachers, Cubberley has amazing parent involvement. You cannot walk on campus without seeing parents everywhere: volunteering in classrooms, tending the gardens and teaching the kids about healthy eating, manning the copy room so the teachers have all of the materials they need, hosting luncheons for the staff, etc., and so much more goes on behind the scenes. As to the administration, I never knew the previous principal that others have raved about and, thus, have nothing to compare the current principal to. However, in my experience as a parent and a volunteer, I have found her to be extremely caring and supportive. My son is about to begin kindergarten at Cubberley and I’m excited to watch him grow and thrive there as well. I feel so lucky to be a part of the Cubberley community.

Posted November 22, 2014
We love Cubberley! My girls, currently 3rd and 1st graders are thriving there. All of their teachers have been fantastic--focusing on teaching the "whole child," with a emphasis on science and social studies. The before/aftercare program, Kids Club very we'll run. The staff truly get to know every child and connect with each family. I am a teacher at a very high performing, more wealthy school here in Long Beach. Cubberley doesn't have quite all the extracurricular programs that my school does, but the quality teaching and neighborhood school atmosphere more than make up for it. In our experience so far there is not an emphasis on teaching to the test and homework expectations are totally reasonable and age-appropriate. I'm so glad we have such an awesome home school!

3200 Monogram Avenue, Long Beach, CA  90808
Last modified Cubberley K-8 is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.