Long Beach, CA

Posted July 03, 2015
Wow, some of these other reviewers really need to get in touch with the reality at our public schools. You really think that there are resources for teachers, playground supervisors, school staff to address every conflict that happens at an public elementary school? You might get that kind of focus at a preschool, where you are paying tuition but our public schools just do not have the resources & the reality is, 70% of the time no adult actually saw what happened in a "conflict". Still, Fremont teachers & staff do an AMAZING job working with what little resources they have. We've had one student attend K-5th there & another still in attendance. Our experience has not been perfect & yes, there are "cliques" which exist EVERYWHERE, at every school! - get over it & be an adult. Step up, be an example for your kids & get involved for your kids' sake!! And for the record, there IS "free play" - but there are also rules in place to protect anyone from getting hurt. If you want to attend a school where you don't have to show up for anything, and you want the teachers & staff & school district to make all the decisions for you, then Fremont is not the place for you. It's the only school in the entire district that still has certified teachers in fully functioning technology AND science labs. And the only reason that has survived all the budget cuts & lack of funding is because of the parents & students stepping up to fund raise to keep these two labs year after year. It's really a pretty amazing school and an amazing experience for our kids to see what power and effect they can have on their circumstances if they choose to get involved. Again, if you do want to be involved - probably not the place for you. As for the comments on racial and class bias, elitism & competition among the well-to-do...completely inaccurate. I wonder if this parent has actually spent much time on the campus & talking to other parents & staff. Fremont is truly a "village" that is trying to do the best for our children with the resources they have. I don't know where else you're going to find a better school!

Posted July 28, 2014
I just have to say that I agree with the post below regarding the Principal (have not experienced the other stuff regarding class bias or whatever, etc). When kids get in trouble for playing tag, there is something wrong with the system. Way too strict for Fremont. Also when kids have conflict it should be a teaching moment, each side heard, so they can learn. Yes I agree with the prior poster that free play and games such as tag are so important (it's not all about academics) in the development of children.
5 people found this helpful

Posted July 24, 2014
I just have to agree with review below, about the free play part. When kids aren't even allowed to play tag, among other things noticed at this school that there isn't time to go into, there is something wrong.

Posted July 18, 2014
I found that the 'community' was based on exclusion with cliques, racial and class bias, with fierce competition among the most well to do. Partly this was due to the ''accelerated' PALS class where there were more resources and even separate field-trips. This elitism grew and deepened over time. The 'other' classes were unbalanced to the point where there were more unruly kids and desperate measures. PALS class is traditionally 2/3 female; if you missed the chance in kinder, tough luck. New Principal has some skewed priorities and is strict about them. Pink slips issued to children playing tag for example are targeted and told to choose a structured play activity during breaks. Yet free play is great for developing a child's self direction. There were a couple of great teachers but there are a few awful ones that have emotional difficulties, lack of boundaries or simply mistreat children and parents who complain.
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 16, 2013
my son went to kinder last year at fremont we had a wonderful experience.. the parents were very nice. My son was in Ms. A class she was a great teacher with all the kids.. I hope he has a good teacher these year also.

Posted August 08, 2013
As recent immigrants, this school was the best decision we could possibly have made, the close knit community that is its secret to success, has also proven to be ours. The parents are overwhelmingly supportive of the school, its programs and their children. Our daughter has been at the school since first grade (now almost ready to start fourth) and her experiences have been exceptionally positive, aiding in her development as a student and as a person. In her first year she had Mrs Driskill, who helped turn a shy South African girl into a confident, enthusiastic american student. Last year she was lucky enough to get Mrs Chung, who has this amazing ability to connect with all her students on a unique and personal level, no matter how many individuals end up in her room. Every one of these teachers has something special to offer, and is dedicated to providing their students with the best possible all round experience. The support staff is also just that, supportive. Total win.

Posted June 25, 2013
I can only review Kindergarten, and only Mrs. A's class. I almost shed a tear when my son graduated because she was such a committed teacher. All the kids loved her, all the parents too. The parental involvement is what keeps this school great despite heavy state cuts. I was never there a single day without parents volunteering.

Posted September 13, 2012
Our son just started kindergarten at Fremont, and so far our experience has been overwhelmingly positive. You can feel that the staff share a common goal with the parents--to have the best learning experience for the students. His kindergarten teacher goes above and beyond her duty and spend her own unpaid time to give each student individualized attention. We certainly feel very fortunate to be a part of Fremont.

Posted March 20, 2012
This is my 7th year as a parent at Fremont and I love it. The teachers are fantastic and the PTA is wonderful. I know schools are suffering from budget cuts but we are lucky to have so many volunteers in the classroom which helps to allow the teachers to focus on teaching. Also, what other school has a science lab and a computer lab? Not to mention an amazing drama program! It is a wonderful, nurturing school, with approachable teachers and down to earth parents. My children have been fully supported, and any concerns I have had have been dealt with immediately. The teachers and the school address bullying, and have even implemented the Peacebuilders program to teach the students about what bullying is and the importance of acting kindly and respectfully. I would not want my kids at any other school!

Posted February 10, 2012
I have been a parent at Fremont School for 10 years. It is true that it is suffering due to budget cuts like most schools. The impact has been considerably softened because of a professional staff and an amazing community. The PTA continues to be amongst the best and has not only increased volunteerism, but has continued to fund the Science and Technology labs and has recently started funding teacher aides. They have additionally funded technology upgrades in every classroom in an effort to help the teachers face the challenges of increased class size and decreased budgets. Fremont continues to be the among the best in the district.

Fremont Elementary School
4000 East Fourth Street, Long Beach, CA  90814
Last modified Fremont Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Fremont Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top