Gant Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 664 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 30, 2013

My child is currently at the 1st grade GATE program and the teacher is absolutely wonderful. My child is doing very well in the class and loves the teacher. Their class curriculum is geared towards GATE objectives and I strongly disagree with the comments made by the previous parent about the GATE program and the 1st grade GATE teacher. We are experiencing a wonderful school year here at Minnie GANT as we did last year with the great kindergarten programs and teachers at GANT. Go GANT GATORS!

Posted October 26, 2013

Be careful what you wish for. Want a school w/ decent test scores and high parent involvement? Who doesn't? But the politics run very thick at this school and a lot of "involved" parents are pretty insecure and hyper-competitive. The GATE program is broken. The woman who ran the 1st grade GATE program is possibly the most inappropriate teacher I have ever run across...and she has been in that role for many years. I must say that many of the teachers we had were fantastic. But the overall environment there is, in my opinion, somewhat unhealthy for students and parents.

Posted August 5, 2013

Our family has had an excellent experience at Minnie Gant. Responsible and approachable leadership along with a high level of parent participation makes this school top notch! My daughter is a proud Gator and cheers everytime we drive by her school during Summer!

Posted August 1, 2013

Gant is a wonderful school. Between our kids, we've been at Gant for 11 years. We have had amazing teachers, we've had good teachers, and we've had okay teachers. We have experienced four principals during our time at Gant, the current principal is our favorite. Almost all of our experiences at Gant have been positive. Parent involvement is huge, but not in an unhealthy way. The only thing that we would change if we could, would be to increase teacher involvement in programming and activities. Your child would be lucky to attend Minnie Gant.

Posted August 1, 2013

My son attends Minnie Gant Elementary. I am involved in PTA and I couldn't be more happy with the education they have received and the work that the teachers, parents, and PTA have put into the school to keep Gant Great! Gant has so many great programs and activities that both my sons have participated in over the years. I still have one more that will be attending Gant in the future and we look forward to it. The teachers and administrative staff are incredible!

Posted August 1, 2013

Minnie Gant is a neighborhood school here in Long Beach, California. I graduated from Minnie Gant Elementary in 1990. While I was there I had teachers who took the time to work with their students and be very hands on. The PTA at Gant has always been one of the best in Long Beach always going above and beyond to make Gant great. Gant is the kind of school that teachers do not leave and where previous students aim to own homes in the surrounding neighborhood so their children can go there. I am one of those Gant alumni. My oldest daughter is going into the 1st grade at Gant in the fall and previously attended Kindergarten where we were lucky enough for her to have MY first grade teacher as her Kinder teacher. Like I said, teachers don't leave Gant. From community support, great parent classroom participation, awesome PTA, phenomenal teachers, outstanding principal, and gracious staff these are the things that make Gant GREAT!

Posted July 25, 2012

My children will be in 5th and 2nd grade this fall, both have been at Gant since K-garten. We love this school! The teachers are wonderful and have always challenged my children to their max. Mr.Wood, our principal is very involved and approachable. My children love that he always says hello to them by their name. Our PTA is one of the strongest, and although it does seem as though it's "ran" by the same circle of parents every year, MOST parents are extremely active in the classrooms and are willing to volunteer at the big events (jog-a-thon, book fair, carnival, etc). Having an excellent public school that motivates students scholastically and creatively is essential to all communities. We are proud to be a part of one of the very best in Long Beach!

Posted September 13, 2011

This school is better than almost all the private schools that I have physically visited. I could not more proud of the standard by which this school strives to obtain. This is obtained by a combined effort of the Principal, Teachers and the "EXTREMELY" active parents. As many of the teachers are extraordinary, a special thanks to Mr. Wood and Mr. K, for your "Over the Top" commitment to the children! Michael Blosser

Posted July 2, 2011

It is my first time reading this website and I found it very interesting reading all the reviews about my children's school. Some of the reviews were very accurate and I absolutely agree that some of the parents, who unfortunately cannot afford private education, feel the need to be a little obnoxious and push their kids extra hard because of that insecurity. I have always believed that is why some people use their "volunteer" platform at public schools to be a little overbearing because of lack of success in their personal lives. However, all the teachers my children have had so far have been outstanding. I would strongly recommend this school to any parent. Your children will receive a wonderful foundation and a lifetime love of learning.

Posted June 19, 2011

My daughter went to Gant k-5.Every one of here teachers was outstanding! We are very sorry she is leaving (off to middle school). I have been a substitute teacher in the district and want to comment that there seems to be more diversity at Gant than at many other schools in the district. I have been to many schools where the entire student population is Hispanic. That is not diversity. Gant has a nice mix of ethnicity. Students learn about other cultures. It is a fantastic school all around.

Posted June 16, 2011

My son just finished Kindergarten at Gant and had an excellent experience. The teachers are extremely skilled. The Principal seems to work well with both teachers and parents. The parent involvement is unbelievable. Fortunately, parents and teachers have strong, healthy relationships.

Posted May 16, 2011

This year will be the last at Gant since my 5th grader will be promoted on to middle school next month. Both my kids have gone here and in my opinion, have gotten a quality education (I am a teacher myself). Both my husband and I have positive experiences with the teachers, staff, students, and parents. The new principal is very approachable and will listen and act on issues. Most teachers are very supportive, professional, and know the curriculum. All students have access to the numerous and varied programs and activities (performing and visual arts, jog-a-thon, carnival, access to literacy, before/afterschool care, etc.). An added bonus is having the university right across the street...a daily reminder that higher education is right at your doorstep. I believe the success of this school lies in the heart of the families that go there and care about the welfare of the whole community.

Posted October 9, 2010

This school, where both my children went to elementary schools, has always had the very best in teachers and principals. It deserves to keep the reputation it has always had and so richly deserves!

Posted September 22, 2010

I attended this elementary school about 10 years ago, My experience here was great. They always say you remember High School more but I can honestly say that my years in this school were not forgotten my trips across the street to CSULB were inspirational to me to one day go there. I am now a third year student at CSULB, Gant gave me hope to one day attend here with there constant involvment with this school. The staff and teachers were amazing, each taught me everything I needed to know and more. This school was so much fun, I remember the carnivals, from 1st grade to 5th I could still name my teachers. This is a great school for your children take it from me, I went there. I still remember my time here and the staff is very friendly and VERY EQUIPED!!!!!!

Posted September 22, 2010

It has great teachers and staff that really help the children succeed.

Posted September 20, 2010

Love Gant! I have two daughters that go to Gant and have been blessed with their teachers. Gant is ranked 10 which is a high honor and a California Distinguished School. Great staff along with a great PTA support. Go Gant Gators!!

Posted July 8, 2010

I am also baffled by the May 20 post. If I read it correctly your child attended Gant until first grade? I'm confused then, how you feel you are equipped to speak to the overall level of teaching? I have four children, three have gone all the way through Gant including my autistic son. Sure as in all schools, there are some rotten apples in the bunch but what a lesson to teach your kids? All experiences might not perfect and in your control, that's life. We mostly had teachers that loved to teach which in turn made my kids love to learn. Spoiled and obnoxious? As in any group, maybe so, but there are many parents out there fighting for your kids and mine. While sadly, I might have to agree with you on the level of competency in our administration, our experience at Gant has been fabulous!!

Posted June 5, 2010

That last review had me scratching my head. Over inflated sense of ego...and the children too? Spoiled and obnoxious? Woefully ill-equiped special needs teacher? Sounds like someone with an axe to grind. My son attends the school and loves it. Teachers, parents, and playground supervisors, as well as other administrators are wonderful. Teachers have more experience than most schools, with quite a few having been at Gant for 10 years or more. They have a great special needs program, and have had that program in place since I was a child(I attended Gant as well). Teachers work with the children, and with their pupil to teacher ratio, no child gets left behind. Teachers at Gant make learning fun, they challenge the kids everyday. As for the previous review, I have to ask the parent. Could it be your child?

Posted May 20, 2010

Although there are several fantastic teachers at this school, one of which my child had in kindergarten, this "above average" school with great test scores and a very involved PTA, this Gant School may not be for everybody. The administrative leadership (principal) at the school site is absolutely clueless on so many levels in my opinion. The PTA is very involved; you might say that a select group of parents practically run the school. Although, not in the wealthiest area of Long Beach, many parents who send their children to this school have an over inflated sense of entitlement, that is then passed on to their children. Spoiled and obnoxious might work well to describe many of the students and their parents. My child has special needs and recently attended Gant School. The first grade experience was a horrible experience for our family. Although my child is very intelligent, the team of teachers who worked with my student were woefully ill-equipped unable to meet the needs of this special child. And they had no interest in doing so either.

Posted May 18, 2010

Minnie Gant has a wonderful Kindergarten, after that it's hit or miss. There are some wonderful teachers and others just resting on their laurels. The community luckily is very generous and supportive with time and finances so the children can thrive. Mrs Lambert does not seem to have the skills to access the teachers or discipline students when needed. It's hard to lead a school with just a smile.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students79%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 17%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Staff resources available to students
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Computer lab

Arts & music

• Performance stage
Performing and written arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1854 Britton Drive