Posted June 22, 2014
After having 2 of my children complete the program K-8 and one almost done I can truly verify that this is one of the best programs in the district. Both of my children ended up in the PACE program at Poly High School which is THE best academic program in the district and my third one will most likely end up there. When you enroll your child in this program you have to trust when the teachers tell you that the English will be just as strong as the Spanish. This is a 90/10 model which means that Spanish will be the strong language at first and it will eventually be 50/50. If you wish to enroll your child at this school or any other Dual Language program I suggest you do your research as this program is not for everyone. Many parents enroll their children in this school because it is a "cool thing to learn Spanish" but they don't realize that it is quite a commitment. I do not regret my decision in enrolling my children in this school. The teachers are very caring, dedicated and hard working.

Henry K-8 1

Posted June 04, 2014
God, where do I begin. I have had nothing but problems with the Kindergarten teacher here. My child was late just two days in the first two months and I got an earful about tardiness. When I calmly explained the situation to the teacher, my CHILD was the one who bore the brunt of the criticism, not me. This is absurd. You do not make a kid feel like !@#$% for an error of the parent. Then, to make matters worse, I have been berated for not being sufficiently enthusiastic about the dual language routine they have going there. I am 100% in favor of it, in fact. But, it is definitely true that Henry neglects English and other core subjects in the name of language immersion. I am extremely concerned that my child does not appear to be meeting the state requirements for math and science. When I raised this concern to an administrator, I was brushed off. If you are looking for a great core subjects school, I strongly recommend looking elsewhere. But hey, if you just want your kid to speak Spanish, then by all means Henry is your place.

Posted April 02, 2014
Fantastic school! I wrote a review a few years back about whether to enroll my son at Cubberly or to enroll him at Patrick Henry. Well, I am glad I made the right choice. This school is pretty amazing. My son is writing, reading, singing, doing math in both languages now (Spanish and English). The parent participation is really great. Lots of very hard-working committed parents. I am a working mom, but I find ways to volunteer as needed from home. If you were wondering about this school, wonder no more. It is exactly what they say out there: Awesome School. There seems to be a good working relation between principal and teachers, teachers care for their students, well supervised, phenomenal after school program (free, not income based!) - your son or daughter will be speaking two languages in no time!

Posted August 28, 2013
Patrick Henry is like a big family The teachers are very nice and pay attention to the students , the school has a very family feel to it, the old principle was very sweet i'm not to sure about this new one he needs to socialize with the parents and students more .One thing this school is better for your child if you want them in the dual immersion program. The playground staff are very sweet and funny and your child will love them.

Posted June 24, 2013
Great Parent Involvement, Dedicated Teachers, Many Extra Curricular Activities, and a Solid Dual Language Program!! The only negative is the office staff. Very rude and unhelpful. They are a bad representation of a wonderful school.

Henry K-8 3

Posted June 13, 2013
I am very concerned that the dual language programs will leave something behind. How can you be attentive to both languages and at the same time keep up with math, science, et al? Something has to give. Kids will be able to speak two languages and then be behind the curriculum of others. Something does not make sense.

Henry K-8 3

Posted May 30, 2013
Unless your child is in the duel emersion program this school is not the place to go. I feel bad, but the English speaking classes are left behind. This is NOT a Spanish vs English thing so don't judge this comment as so please. There needs to be a balance here and there is not. The small portion of parents and classes that are in English Only (EO) classes are left out. Most of the activities/performances are done in Spanish. There needs to be a balance so people off all backgrounds feel represented. I cant speak about all the teachers, however I am not impressed with the ones I have had so far. The parents do get involved and for that I gave it an extra star taking it to 3. I'm not sure about the principal yet. He is new and he may be getting a feel for this school. It may be better next year.

Posted March 14, 2013
This school's TEST score has been jacking up in the past couple of years. Maybe because the principal is new, we need to give him more time to grow into a top communicator to all parents like the ex one we had.

Posted March 14, 2013
Hardware wise, Some one needs to do something to this ALL asphalt campus. Literally, not joking - ALL asphalt, little to none green campus ! Software wise, Someone needs to take initiatives to push the quiz and other test scores and other student report cards into online system. They raised a lot of money each tri-master and named it "Technology fund" but they need to first educate their teachers to input the test scores into their already have SchoolLink system to share school results with parents. This takes a stronger leadership to make it happen in this school. One can use the improvement items listed above as an assessment tool to see how much time Henry takes to get there from the time this comment was created.

Posted May 28, 2010
Patrick Henry has great parental involvement. There's agreat comrodary between parents and teachers. The principle provides good leadership, making the school community similar to a family atmosphere.

Henry K-8
3720 Canehill Avenue, Long Beach, CA  90808
Last modified Henry K-8 is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Henry K-8 Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews.