Long Beach, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted May 11, 2014
I don't know why I have waited 6 years to post a review about Kettering. My best guess is that I've been so happy with the school that it hasn't crossed my mind to give a review. Today, I am looking for reviews on Middle Schools for my daughter and I thought it would be so helpful to those who wanted a review of Kettering, so her goes. My daughter has attended Kettering for all 6 years and I am writing this review with tears in my eyes because I am so sad to leave. This is the kindest, gentlest, safest, most compassionate little school I know of. My philosophy is that my children are going to get a good education at a number of schools, but what might hinder their great school experience is the environment in which they learn. From Grace the secretary, to Mrs. Snow the lunch lady to Mrs. Anderson the Principal, to all the wonderful teachers, you don't find any better. My daughter has had Mrs. Burner, Ms. Mitchell, Mrs. Cousino, Mrs. Dahl and Mrs. Luzod. She has thrived and excelled in this gentle, caring, nurturing environment. You would be a fool not to choose Kettering to send your child if you have the chance. Good by Kettering, we will miss you!!!

Posted April 13, 2014
I have 2 kids in this school and I just love it here. The teachers are just amazing! They work hard, so hard for our kids and I can't imagine being in any other school. The kindergarten teachers set the foundation for learning and listening. It is not an easy job getting 25 5 year olds to listen and learn 100 sight words in 2 months time. I also thought that maybe the kinder teacher was a little distant in the beginning to my child. What was actually happening was that she was observing my child and noticed that she had a learning disability that went undiagnosed through all her years of preschool. We were able to begin treatment and therapy immediately and now she's thriving! Only an experienced, dedicated teacher would have noticed it so early on and she did. Also ,the after school activities are endless from piano, science club, art, basketball, skateboard you name it they have it. From PTA and other staff, this school is great and has it all :)

Kettering Elementary School 4

Posted April 11, 2014
Both my daughters attend Kettering. Community is a great one. Lots of amazing activities and programs. PTA / parents very active and involved. Sad to hear that the reviewer before me is unhappy with our kinder staff. I love our teacher and both girls have been in her classroom. She is very involved and concerned with the getting the kids ready and at the learning level they need to achieve. If you are approachable, she is approachable. She's not warm and fuzzy but she's a great teacher and I guarantee that your child likes her even if you do not. The entire staff is wonderful with the exception of one of the current 3rd grade teachers. Not a fan of the current principal at all. I still highly recommend this school and am very fortunate to have found this gem in Long Beach.

Kettering Elementary School 3

Posted October 30, 2013
not happy with this school only because of the kindergarten staff so far...i have heard the rest of the teachers are great but unfortunately, not having a great experience with the kindergarten teacher...very unapprocahable, doest ever smile, makes you feel uncomfortable when talking to her, very disciplined with the kids..not nurturing or warm...very cold personality...looking for other schools now because of the experience with this teacher. :( otherwise pta is great and other staff seem good! but not much of a playground for the children to climb and be involved in other activities.

Posted May 30, 2013
This is a fantastic school with great teachers in all grades. Parents are involved and the students are engaged. We have 2 kids that have gone through the school and could not be happier with their experience.

Posted November 15, 2011
After starting Kindergarten at a popular charter school fall of 2010 and having a less than positive experience, we switched our son to Kettering, our home school. Best decision we could make. He, as well as my husband and I, instantly loved the school. We were welcomed warmly by other students, families, teachers, principal and all support staff. He is now in 1st grade and we have a new principal who is terrific, as was the former. Both Kinder and 1st grade teachers are super. We feel very lucky to be part of this amazing school!

Kettering Elementary School 0

Posted May 03, 2010
My son just started kindergarten this year. He loves it and surprises me every day with his progress. The PTA is committed and put on great events. The teachers are awesome and he is extremely happy with the after school CDC. He doesn't want to come home.

Kettering Elementary School 0

Posted April 29, 2010
The heart felt passion for teaching shines academically through every child. If you see your children excited about going to school, and coming home with A's, the school has to be great.

Posted November 17, 2009
my son just started this school and it is amazing. the principal is great the best elementary in long beach

Posted March 24, 2009
Kettering is a small school with big hearts! Teachers, parents and students all work together to maintain the incredible reputation it has. In addition to the top notch academia, kids get to be kids and enjoy the foundation of their education. The community is outstanding, especially in these hard times. My son is not only thriving, but exceeding beyond my expectations. And more important, he's happy!

Kettering Elementary School
550 Silvera Avenue, Long Beach, CA  90803
Last modified Kettering Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kettering Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top