Long Beach, CA

Posted December 06, 2013
While talking with a parent, I met the principal of Lafayette and witnessed their interaction. I was impressed with the principal's knowledge of the parents and students, her warmth and her obvious drive to help her students be a success. Being a former teacher, I know that a good principal sets the tone for an entire school, and that principal is setting the bar very high for her staff. It's the students who will benefit.

Posted June 05, 2013
This school has exceeded my expectations. They have achieved an API score of 860. My daughter is in the 4th grade, excel program and absolutely loves her teacher Ms. Gault. I happy that she is enthusiastic about learning.

Posted October 16, 2011
Lafayette Elementary School API is 860 for the 2010-11 academic year. The Long Beach had the goal that all elementary schools score at least 800 on the AP on the 2010-11 academic year. Lafayette elementary scored 811 in 2008-09 academic year, followed by a score of 855 in the 2009-10 academic year and this last year 860. Parents at Lafayette are very proud of the student success on the API test.

Posted September 23, 2009
They are hardly substandard. they reach and meet for the best.

Lafayette Elementary School 2

Posted August 06, 2007
Some of the teachers are great yet the the other part are very poor. the housekeeping of the school is poor.

Lafayette Elementary School 2

Posted September 18, 2005
Low to average academic programs with big room for improvement. More parental involvement is definitely required.

Lafayette Elementary School 1

Posted September 01, 2005
The school personal has very low expectation for students therefore, they do not provide or care to provide students with a challenge curricula so tha students could succed in school and for their future. The students who need help are place in classrooms where the rest of the students are struggling to fail.

Posted July 28, 2004
I have twin boys at lafayette in first grade. At first I was worried that they had so much homework in kindergarten, their teacher expected so much from them. But I learn that kids at a young age are smart and the more they learn the more they want to know. One of my boys is now in their excel program and the other one always get happy faces.Lafayette has wonderful teachers that are very qualify for teaching. I specially thank MRS. Bunting for being the best kindergarten teacher.My only complain is that they don't have enough supervsion in the playground but I do understand their is lots of kids to look over. I suggest we as parent take one day of the week to supervise our kids either in the morning or in the afternoon. I do it everday and I work I know another parent can do it too.

Lafayette Elementary School 3

Posted June 15, 2004
My daughter is in Kindergarten at Lafayette Elementary School. My opinion is that while the administration is dedicated and enthusiastic and the teachers (Her teacher specifically) are creative and imaginative, they are forced to perform at 'champagne' level with a 'beer' budget, thereby nullifying their great efforts. The school is largley hispanic with most programs in the school taking that into account. We are African American. And that coupled with the fact that this is my daughter first year of reach 'school' and her excitment and enthusiasm with learning, the school fell short and failed to meet the challenge. There are so many non-english or limited english speaking children who need special attention that those without any of the predominate special challenges get left behind. I commend the staff and faculty for their tenancity and, given a different set of circumstances and a larger budget, they would perform outstandingly.

Posted February 23, 2004
Lafayette Elementary has well exceeded any expectations I had when my son started there 3 years ago. He is now a 2nd grader in the Dual Immersion program. With no background in speaking Spanish in the time since he entered this program in 1st grade not only has he grasped a firm hold on the spanish language he has shown remarkable progress in every area. The students in this program all seem to be well above average in all areas and develop a sense of community and maturity well beyond their years. The teachers at Lafayette are absolutely incredible. The dedication and devotion to the students is evident by the tremendous success of the students and their love and respect for their teachers. We have a new principal this year who has added many new componants to our school which in my opinion have added a strong supportive and nurturing componant to the rigorous intellectual componants. Together these things seem to make well rounded and confident students who will be prepared to adjust to the growing demands as they mature and move on in their education.

Lafayette Elementary School
2445 Chestnut Avenue, Long Beach, CA  90806
Last modified Lafayette Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lafayette Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top