Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 25, 2016
Thanks to Mrs. Spicer, First Grade teacher. She is a beautiful soul who loves to teach. She is caring and she knows how to infuse a good energy in her class. I went twice to share some dance and Spanish to children and I could see how they respect her and love her. She doesn't need to raise her voice and stays calm all the time. My daughter didn't know how to speak English when she entered to First Grade and Mrs Spicer was able to give her enough confidence to teach some Spanish to their friends and make her feel like she has an advantage instead of a "handicap". Thank you Mrs. Spicer for a wonderful year teaching my daughter how to be responsible, caring, and the best she can be!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 25, 2016
Maybe it's just that my daughter is first grader, but I feel their homework is just a 5-minute homework and that's it. Sometimes I think is great, but I remember her homework was a way more difficult when she was at pre school in another country :) I will say is just right because it's 1st grade, and I imagine they are going to increase the amount in the following years... hopefully not too much!

Posted May 25, 2016
My daughter has been here for one year so far and it's been a great experience for her (1st grade) Her teacher is a bless! I was welcomed to teach some Spanish for kids a couple of days and could see how great their teacher is :) I don't think there is a prejudice for parents who work full time, I was working and studying grad school and I felt support from other parents and school. Kids Club (after school program) is good, although I think they could do more different kind of activities thank just crafts, playground and movies (you can sign your child to do homework too)

Lowell Elementary School 3

Posted May 08, 2014
Great school! Parents are very involved but very prejudice towards parents that look different or are not as involved as they are. Sorry, I have a job.

Posted April 03, 2012
A really good school. So much so, that I'm planning our next move to keep us within school boundaries. My daughter has a attended since midway through Kindergarten, and is now in 2nd grade. The overall feel is very VERY parent-involved, which is great, but for those who are unable (like myself- single parent, work full-time), I do get the impression that I'm judged as not being as involved as I 'should be'. Most of these kids have at least one parent who stays home full or most of the time. I know my daughter wishes that I could help in the class (so do I) like her friend's parents do, which can be hard for her to grasp.

Lowell Elementary School 4

Posted November 29, 2010
Too much emphasis on teaching the test. One the plus side, the school staff is wonderful and the parents are very involved. Too bad the kids spend most of their day sitting at a desk learing by rote.

Posted March 02, 2010
Execellent teaching and support staff. Great to be at a school where everybody - teachers, parents, administrators, etc. wants children to LEARN. This is not the school for faint hearted parents, that only want a school that is just day care center. Lowell expects full participation of parents in the education of our children.

Posted November 04, 2009
small town feeling, parent involvment

Posted September 16, 2009
The principal, teachers, professional staff and parents provide a healthy, enriching, positive and fulfilling learning community.

Posted December 04, 2008
Quality school based on focus on reading, writing, math from beginning of school year using multi-sensory approach. Different areas of class use computers, earphones, visual displays, etc. for varied learning strengths. Glad I didn't have to go to a private school.

5201 East Broadway, Long Beach, CA  90803-1803
Last modified Lowell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.