Newcomb Academy

Public | K-8

Living in Long Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $425,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted June 10, 2014

I am a parent and have my 3 daughter, niece and nephew at this school and I am so blessed to have them attend Newcomb academy. The teachers, staff, programs and activities are amazing. My children have learned so much and cannot imagine leaving. One of my daughter's graduated 8th and another 5th. I hope my son can get accepted for 1st grade this coming school year since I know first hand the academic advancement my daughter's receive.

Posted May 17, 2014

Good school, good teachers overall and lots of programs not in other long beach schools due to the strong support of the newcomb foundation.

Posted October 8, 2013

My son transferred to this school in 6th grade and he is now in 7th grade. We were very nervous about the transfer. However, he has done very well with the transistion. He has made new friends and has done well in his classes. He also likes all of the elective options that are available, from band, chorus, Avid, photography, etc. We are glad that we made the move to Newcomb.

Posted September 3, 2013

Newcomb is a great school. My oldest was accepted to Poly Pace and hit the ground running. The academics have been outstanding, with the highest standardized math scores in the District. Having Math+Music in elementary school has helped. The school is truly a community of involved parents who share a value of education and step forward to contribute. It may appear cliquish and pushy to those who aren't familiar, but newcomers are always welcomed. The PTSA and Foundation are strong, an provide opportunities to get involved and improve the children's educational experience. The principal is very approachable and knowledgeable. Our family has made lifelong friendships with other Newcomb families. Most of the teachers have been excellent. A few in particular are very passionate, competent and engaged with their teaching. Most are challenging, but nurturing. Not all meet this high standard, but from the experience of my kids, most do. Our family chose Newcomb as a school of choice and are quite happy with our decision. We are grateful for the great education and wonderful experiences our kids have had.

Posted January 13, 2013

This school has been mixed, the new principle seems on top of things but boy does she have her work cut out for her. There is a huge divide and definitely NOT equal opportunity if your child is not in the accelerated or GATE(3rd and up)/PALS - (2nd Grade). The opportunities given to the gate kids' include participation in plays, extended science learning, introduction to more advanced concepts, in music they have opportunity to play instruments not available to the other students until later grades... it goes on. It's not pleasant to stand by and think how you are going to supplement your childs' education at home so they don't fall behind with the mediocrity they are receiving with a burned out mediocre non-gate identified class.

Posted January 12, 2013

want to go to this school next year I am 6th grade and my mom says it is a good school I wish I could because it has a good rating

Posted November 14, 2012

I wish I had never sent my children to Newcomb. There are a few very good teachers, but more of the teachers are horrible. They humiliate the students and don't inspire the love of learning. The whole atmosphere at the school is of conformity and competition. We switched our kids into the Los Alamitos schools and our kids couldn't be happier. I wish I would have made the switch sooner!

Posted June 10, 2012

Newcomb stinks! I completely regret sending my daughter there from K-2 grades. The teachers are rude and insensitive, The administration is argumentative and useless. We have been through many unpleasant situations! Please do not send your kids there. The whole staff should be fired and they should begin again. My daughter is going elsewhere in the fall!

Posted January 16, 2012

Newcomb Academy is an outstanding school. My child has received an excellent education. Has every teacher been great -- no. However, the overwheming majority have been excellent. I considered transferring my daughter to Los Al for middle school and am so glad I didn't make that choice. After having talked to parents that did, I have heard mixed reviews. No school is perfect but Newcomb is as close as I have found.

Posted December 29, 2011

Newcomb was a soul crushing experience for my sons, particularly for one who had a mild learning disability in written language (only). Since the staff there is used to children who are "easy" to teach (GATE is a huge population) they had no idea how to help him and ended up setting him up for both academic and social failures. He was stuck at a back table for reading instruction being poked by an aide (even though he was advanced on the STAR every year!) and allowed to be bullied and ridiculed by his peers daily because of his teachers ignorance. We transferred to Los Alamitos (Oak) where he thrived under their excellent and current instructional techniques. They use encouragement and actually teach the kids instead of sending them home with reports for the parents to write or teach. In Los Al, he earned a perfect score on the Social Studies STAR in 8th, and advanced in LA & Science because of their skills. Go the extra mile (literally) to Los Al. It is one of the best decisions I have ever made. It was a life changing experience for us since he is now in high school, LOVES school, is very active and has many wonderful friends. Save your child and family years of anguish!

Posted August 31, 2011

My daughter finished Kindergarten and will be entering the first grade in September. I have had nothing but good experiences at Newcomb and am looking forward to having a new principal. The teachers are caring and get involved and the PTA is constantly looking for ways to improve the school. Do I think the school is perfect? No, but I don't think any school is. I do believe my daughter is getting a solid education and that's what is important to me.

Posted August 29, 2011

My kids and I are very happy at Newcomb Academy. My children have attended this school since Kindergarten and are staying through 8th grade. We have had a positive experience with every teacher and when a problem arose, we sat down and discussed how to solve it. Of all the K-5th grade teachers, I have only been unhappy with one that teaches Third grade and that was due to the lack of Language Arts in her class. The office staff is short staffed due to budget cuts but parent volunteers help out by answering phones and attending to the front counter. I think we have a great thing going with a decent administration, great teachers, parent participation and the Foundation. I believe those who have problems at Newcomb may have problems wherever they attend. I know first hand that many of the students that leave for middle school do so for guaranteed admittance to Los Alamitos High School since it is around the corner. I am looking forward to another year here and the new principal!

Posted August 28, 2011

My daughter has had a wonderful experience at Newcomb. She has gotten Wonderful scores on her STAR Testing each year. Transferring to Newcomb wad the best thing for her. The office staff has been pleasant however could use a little polishing with their customer service skills. If you want your child to get a great education and be prepared for high school. Newcombe is the place for your child. With a new Principal this year I see an even brighter future at Newcomb.

Posted August 27, 2011

I agree with a previous post that Newcomb is a harsh environment (prying parents is true also), so if you are looking for a positive experience, don t take a chance on sending your children here or worse, purchasing a house to go here like we did. Newcomb is my neighborhood school and unfortunately I felt forced to pull my kids out and send them to nearby Los Alamitos schools (along with literally dozens other families from this neighborhood). Some of the teachers are wonderful and caring educators; however, another group of teachers at Newcomb are so proud of being considered witches that they decorated the teachers lounge with a banner labeled Coven along with their pictures decorated with witches hats, etc (it was up for months not for Halloween). This is a crystal clear example of a broken administration which allows a hostile environment for families, students, and those poor other good teachers who have to work there. I understand that a new principal is coming good luck to him/her for the sake of all the parties affected by this hostility.

Posted July 18, 2011

During the process of selecting my two toddler's kindergarden school I contacted Newcomb Academy School and spoke with the Administrative Staff who, were absolutely rude. The staff had no interests in answering any of my questions. Rather, I was immediately asked my home zip code (I live in between Wardlow & Stevely Ave/zip 90808); and I was immediately cut off and told that Newcomb was not part of my school district. Who are we kidding? I am very well aware that Newcomb buses children who, belong to other school districts. After receiving the treatment I did over the phone by the Administrative Staff; and reading the negative reviews, I now have asolutely no interest in enrolling my children in Newcomb Academy. Good impressions towards a school begin at the Office Administrative level.

Posted June 30, 2011

After a horrid experience this year at Newcomb, I had no choice but to pull my two children from this school. We live in the Newcomb neighborhood, however, my children will now attend the Los Alamitos School district. The bullying that is allowed at this school because the administration is too weak to address the parents of the bullies is beyond ridiculous. I informed the district about this situation and they did absolutely nothing. The office is run by "volunteer" PTA members who listen to private student matters and later discuss them in depth with their colleagues outside of school. Some of the teachers just ramble into school and feel they are above addressing parents concerns. The good teachers are far and few between. I stopped volunteering because I could not tolerate watching how lazy the teachers are interacting with the students. Your child deserves more...please send them somewhere else where they will get the attention, kindness, education and direction they deserve!

Posted March 15, 2011

Newcomb has a great Middle School staff! The teachers genuinely care! They communicate well with each other .

Posted February 18, 2011

I am very happy with Newcomb's music department. Newcomb is continuing to expand their music program. Kindergarten - third grade take piano keyboarding lessons. 3rd -5th grade learn string and band instruments. Over 75% of middle school students continue their music studies. Mrs. Shea adn Mrs Ohl are amazing music teachers. Ms Fuchs is an amazing piano teacher. It is amazing to see the kinders learn to play the piano so easily.

Posted February 18, 2011

This school is great, I can't be happier. Communication between teachers and parents is great, I always receive some kind of feedback on how my daugther is doing at school either verbal from her teacher beacuse I inquire about or via the in class work or homework that is sent home everyday. I have received calls from the principal to inform us of major family events taking place at school, she is friendly and always out in the school campus keeping an eye on the children.

Posted February 18, 2011

Newcomb has a fantastic staff and great teachers and is all brought together by a principal who takes great strides in creating a warm, respectable and responsible school and surroundings. The many activities keep the parents involved and up to date. My daughter had her pick of schools for middle school and chose to stay at Newcomb where she has been since grade K.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

10 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

10 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students76%

Parent education - high school graduate65%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)76%
Parent education - college graduate85%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students17%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

• Wendy Sowinski
Fax number
  • (562) 430-2359

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Cafeteria
  • Library
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Sports

Boys sports
  • Basketball
  • Football
Girls sports
  • Basketball
  • Volleyball
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7020 E. Brittain Street