Rogers Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 875 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 22, 2014

I am currently an 8th grader at Rogers Middle School and honestly im really sad to be leaving this year. This has been the best 3 years if my life, I have made so many new friends and i just absolutly love it. The teachers and staff are absoulutely amazing they are all so helpful and caring. Personally i have never really had any problems with any teachers and i have learned so much from them all. If you are looking to send your children here i highly reccomend it, its a great school.

Posted January 29, 2014

My son is in the 5th grade and I am fervently looking for a great middle school with great teacher and staff. The office staff at any school carrys the tone for the whole school experience. After reader the comment from Roger's office requesting that a parent take there child out of the school, my opinion on Roger's as a choice school has dropped. Just because Roger's has a list doesn't mean it is a Great school. It doent even have the diversity students need to experience in life... Those budget cuts have created segregation in our schools. So...office staff thanks for being honest and showing your true colors. God Bless

Posted August 4, 2013

While I know that test scores only tell part of the story, RMS test scores are the highest of any middle school in LBUSD. Our principal is very involved, and I cannot say enough about our amazing teachers and staff. We frequently have more teachers that parents at our monthly PTA meetings! The instrumental music program at Rogers is the best. We have been at Rogers for four years, will be here for four more and wouldn't want our boys anywhere else. Go Mustangs!

Posted August 4, 2013

My daughter is entering 8th grade at Rogers and I have a son entering 6th grade this year. Our first year had it's ups and downs and I felt "out of the loop" until I started getting involved. Attending the PTA meetings is vital as many of the teachers attend and it's a good time to get to know them and their viewpoints. The new principal is fantastic and involved with the kids. She is definitely on top of things and looking to continue the success of the school. The music program is incredible and the best in the district, by far. There is a reason this school has the highest test scores in the district. The teachers hold the kids to high expectations and the students rise to those expectations. There are lots of opportunities outside of the classroom for school involvement (sports, drama, clubs etc.). I'm very happy that my children are attending this school.

Posted June 1, 2013

My child's first year at Rogers was very good, but her second year has been a real problem. She has been in accelerated classes which means a great deal of homework and complicated, long term projects in all of the subjects. I find that while the teachers are experienced in their subjects, few of them are experienced in children. Middle school is a difficult time for children who are transitioning from babyhood to teen and to have teachers with attitudes that clearly say, "just do the work, I don't care if you're changing or not" has been a disappointment. I thought that being a "Great School" meant that the teachers also understood child development; meaning "the whole child." Additionally, they don't call or write to let you know if the child is experiencing problems in their class. So you end up finding out when it's too late to do anything about it. Three of my child's teachers had an attitude like I should have known what was going on in their classes. How could I have known if they didn't tell me? Most of them don't use SchoolLoop for posting assignments. This is just wrong. And then they take weeks to update the grades. There's a lot that needs work at this "Great School."

Posted August 12, 2012

My daughter is going into the 8th grade at Rogers. She has liked all of her teachers but one and I have liked all but one (different from the teacher she didn't like. Hence, 4 stars -pretty good odds, though). The administration has been fantastic. They actually hold the kids accountable for their actions! As a parent of a middle school kid (and one who has been a substitute teacher in the district), I, too, love Rogers. My daughter did not go to one of the nearby elementary schools, but has never felt like an outsider. She has made many new friends, most of whom I like as well. The office personnel has always been very nice and accommodating. We are quite happy with the staff, the faculty, and the student body.

Posted April 9, 2012

As a parent of an 8th grader I have seen the "boring" assignments aka worksheets and copying definitions as well as many opportunities and even requirements for creativity.. There are many projects which allow for individualized work. We are in he GATE program so I can't speak for the whole school. In GATE there are often options for the way the child wants to learn. I believe it is usually the class size that inhibits individualized teaching (and sometimes even teacher grading-- I understand having your peers grade your paper in math where there is one right answer,. But in english to have a weak writer critique a strong writer's paper?). Like any school there are some stronger and weaker teachers and some that are a good fit for one kid and not another. And even a good teacher can have a bad year (ever had a parent with cancer? Kind of affects your work). I have found the teachers to be VERY open to my questions and concerns. Except one....who is (drumroll) now gone. Yes, parent concerns were addressed! I have also gotten immediate action on both academic and peer concerns from administrators who listened very respectfully.they were also responsive to my child.

Posted April 5, 2012

After reading the review from 2/21, I felt compelled to respond. I am one of those office workers that the writer thinks is rude. I think we have one of the best office staffs in the district and this is constantly confirmed by visitors. My only advise to this parent is that if you are this unhappy, why are you still here. We have a very long waiting list of students who would like to attend this awesome school, so we could use the space.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 5, 2012

It's such a shame that more parents don't have time to post reviews here, because one unhappy parent with plenty of time on their hands can completely skew the ratings. Rogers is an amazing school, the administration and staff are very caring, ESPECIALLY the office workers. The teachers work very hard to engage the kids in learning and provide opportunities for creativity and self expression throughout the year. The school's budget has been more impacted than many other schools during this time of crisis because of a loss of funding due to a slight socioeconomic shift in the population, and yet the level of education has remained the same or improved. The music program is phenomenal and a very small portion of the parents work very, very hard to raise the money necessary to provide the opportunities for all of the music students to be able to travel and participate in competitions. Of course, those parents are the ones who are too busy to post here, and those who have enough time to post negative reviews clearly are not involved enough in their child's education to know what is actually happening at Rogers. It is hands down the best middle school in Long Beach.

Posted February 21, 2012

If you are stuck with a kid in this school, be assured that it seems not to be typical of LBUSD. The teachers give boring assignments. The administration is uncaring. Even the secretaries in the office are rude to parents and students alike. The emphasis is on discipline, keeping kids in line and passing standardized tests. Assignments discourage creativity; more often than not my kids are asked to do an assignment by filling out a template. Any variation from the template will bring them a bad grade. The music instruction in this school is great, but favoritism, often purchased through an annual fundraiser, is obvious and reigns. So you can have a kid who is talented, but if you aren't a music administrator in LBUSD, your kid will not be in a prominent position. You can buy your kid a good chair in the orchestra by bidding on a day with the music teacher at Disneyland. I have other children in elementary and high schools in LBUSD where there are caring teachers, kind administrators and even coaches who demonstrate profound interest in students. It is very, very hard to find anything like that at Rogers Middle School. If you can, stay away.

Posted May 8, 2011

I am currently a student at Rogers Middle school and it is such a wonderful and amazing school! The teachers are so helpful and provide you with a wonderful educational experience! The teachers have so many excellent ways to teach us in a fun, but educational way! I love this school. I wouldn't want to be in any school other than Rogers.

Posted November 30, 2010

Rogers MIddle School is amazing! I luv it and am currently an eight grader and am so depressed to be leaving this great school. The gate program is awesome and the campus, although smaller than Stanford is acceptable with the huge field of grass. Our girl, boys soccer is the best and so are our girls volleyball. If you are advance in these sports and even track and field than i recommend that you attend Rogers. WE took it to the nationals all three years that i was here. The teachers are great especially the music teacher. All of his students love him and they advance day after day after attending his music class. I HIGHLY recommend him if you are interested in music. The teachers are great although some would need a little more effort than usual, but that is why you have your mates to talk to. :) You will instantly make new friends i guarantee it! The academic program is terrific and the neighborhood is amazing with Lowell Elementary right next door.

Posted March 25, 2010

Rogers is a great school. i'm currently a 7th grader. Some of the teachers are mean and strict but there are some awesome teachers. they are really good teachers too, i learn a lot. i really hate the uniform. overall i definitely recomend rogers. ive had kinda fun for the 2 years ive been here.

Posted February 22, 2010

I hate this school it is a horrible enviornment the teachers are unexxperienced and un caring and the uniforms do not allow us to express our creativity i understand uniforms are to eliminate the 'my clothes ate better than yours' but still i think it reppresses students creativity there are also too many chick cliques so rude any way i do not recommend this school dont be fooled by its 'small school charm' that adds insult to injury.

Posted February 19, 2010

I have just joined Rogers Middle School as a 6th grader, and honestly, THIS SCHOOL ROCKS! We have sooo much fun there, and I highly recommend the school. And if, parents, you have a child who isn't in the age of middle school years, it is literally right next to the elementary school- Lowell. I also went there and it is so cool as well. At Rogers, the principal is so nice and kind, and so is every other staff. This is the middle school you should choose.

Posted January 15, 2010

I've just joined rogers as a 6th grader, its been truly amazing and fun! I might never want to leave! If you are looking for a good music program, this is the best place! The music teacher this year is the best. He is so funny and awesome! HE ROCKS! I think I've said too much, come see for yourself!

Posted October 30, 2009

I love my school! this year our sports teams were undefeated and our test scores were above our average! if u are looking for great teachers, sports teams, after school programs, or music programs we have them!

Posted October 25, 2009

I love this school. Everybody is nice and care about each other. But the people who takes the bus to come here aren't nice.

Posted September 2, 2009

Middle School can be scary as a parent. But at Rogers the safety and well-being of every child is top priority. Teachers greet students with a smile, and the students respond instantly. I have wandered the halls frequently this past year and find the teaching to be engaging and challenging. (And I wonder how these other parents know about the teachers, because I am there a lot and don't see many parents!) Fantastic administration, great teachers, and an atmosphere for learning that is both comfortable and inviting, even to the most apathetic teen.

Posted February 17, 2009

this is the best school in the world! it is better than stanford! it has the best teachers in the world, who are educated and super duper nice!! there is nothing more that to say i am left speechless!

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

287 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

250 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

270 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

279 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

271 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

Fluent-English proficient and English only87%
Parent education - high school graduate72%
Parent education - college graduate89%
Parent education - declined to state78%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students56%

White (not Hispanic)n/a
Economically disadvantagedn/a
Non-economically disadvantagedn/a
Students with disabilityn/a
Students with no reported disabilityn/a
Fluent-English proficient and English onlyn/a

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 35%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Cafeteria

Arts & music

Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

365 Monrovia Avenue