Long Beach, CA
Students enrolled: 1,107

Tincher Preparatory School 2

Posted January 05, 2015
I felt that this was the school for us, but as some posters have commented, that seemed to change in Grade 2. We voiced some concerns about our child's teacher & that was the beginning of the end. We feel that children are being systematically targeted for failure based on the like and dislike of parents (and worse there seems to be a racial component), as I've heard has happened with other students forcing families to leave the school. We feel left out and are thinking about changing schools for his 5th grade year. The feeling of dread that we have everyday in having to deal with the staff is wearing on me and my spouse. The office staff is unhelpful, roll their eyes and at times act superior to you when you ask questions or worse yet, question why you need certain information at all about public things (i.e. names of teachers, sports coaches, criteria for GATE clustering or testing, etc.). I've spoken to one parent whose child was targeted because of the parent and the school actually tried to retain her child who previously spent 4 years in the GATE cluster, but suddenly in 5th grade was in danger of retention! Their way of getting the family to leave the school I guess.
5 people found this helpful

Posted April 18, 2014
Tincher prep. Transferred to this school in fall 2013 with my first grader. Tincher has been very responsive to any situation. The principal has gone to great lengths to add new opportunity to the pupils. I am happy we made the change.

Tincher Preparatory School 3

Posted October 09, 2013
My concern regarding this learning institution is as listed: With all the minority enrollment that currently exist at the school. Why, and I place a direct emphasis on WHY, why are there not ONE black teacher on this staff. Not one, that is either a great peculiar coincidence or a GIGANTIC statement as to what respect the young black people are to receive by way of sincere considerations in many areas at that place of learning. This oversight is the reason for the lower rating of the Principal and teacher quality...
2 people found this helpful

Posted February 15, 2013
With 3 kids, I just celebrated my 10th year at Tincher and can honestly say "WOW". From autism pre-K programs to stellar GATE teachers...they have it all. It starts at the top with a strong principal Dr. An and a fine staff who set high standards. Tincher is a loving place to learn and grow with an abundance of fun programs.

Posted April 14, 2010
Very well managed. Students of wide age range work very well together in a climate of respect.

Posted April 14, 2010
Tincher has a group of excellent teachers and principal who are dedicated and determined to provide the best learning environment while focusing on the whole person. Character counts!

Posted April 13, 2010
Tincher has a dedicated staff and families that puts children first and helps develop character, global learners and community leaders. Tincher is a place of learning, family and community. Hands down the best around!! We have the national awards, test scores and state recognition to prove it!

Tincher Preparatory School 4

Posted July 18, 2009
My daughters started kindergarten there last fall. As a parent and volunteer at Tincher I was very pleased with what our family experienced. We look forward to continuing our childrens education there.

Tincher Preparatory School 4

Posted February 04, 2008
This is school is great, I can't be happier. Communication between teachers and parents is great, I always receive some kind of feedback on how my daugther is doin at school either verbal form her teacher beacuse I inquire about or via the in class work or homework that is sent home everyday. I have received calls from the principal to inform us of major family events taking place at school, he is friendly and always out in the school campus keeping an eye on the children.

Posted January 06, 2008
I cannot recommend this school. The teachers lack in communication skills and the principal is cold. The afterschool program which was supposed to make sure our kids did their homework before activities sorely failed our child. I don't like this school and am looking to transfer my son out at the end of the year. A bit too late now, sad to say.

1701 Petaluma Avenue, Long Beach, CA  90815
Last modified Tincher Preparatory School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Tincher Preparatory School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top