Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Twain Elementary School 3

Posted September 23, 2015
I feel this school is unfortunately way overrated for its current condition in 2015. Take a notice of how old the rest of the reviews/comments are! We have been there for three years and the only positive I can mention are the teachers we have had. They are great with children and have high expectations. Their rigorous curriculum really sets the bar high and my daughter has been able to achieve success! Mrs. Lucas in Kinder and Mrs. Mitchell is 1st grade are amazing! From what I gather from friends and my own experiences, the staff are great with high achieving and GATE students, but the interventions for struggling students is lacking. Other than good teachers, this school has very little to offer. There are NO after-school enrichment activities, just supervision on the playground. The monthly student awards ceremony was taken away which is highly disappointing. There is no sense of community or school pride. This school should be doing its best to sell itself to the public. It is not and I am not impressed. The building is in poor condition with painting peeling off the classroom walls...shame! The PTA seems friendly for the most part. I do like the valet system they have that is run by volunteers. Twain has dropped in reputation over the past few years for good reason. They were a Blue Ribbon School, but that was almost 20 years ago. A lot has changed since then. My daughter is happy there, but she doesn't see what we see. I love the neighborhood and the fact that we can walk to school, but we are currently shopping around for a better school experience.

Posted March 17, 2013
I can't say enough good things about Twain! My daughter started kindergarten here last year and it has been a wonderful experience for her and our entire family. The principal, PTA and staff are very involved and as a result have created a great learning environment!

Posted September 11, 2011
As a parent of twins with Autism finding the right school to meet their needs has and will always be my priority. The last 4 years at Twain has been outstanding. The teachers, principal, counselor, etc have always been supportive of my children and their special needs. I could always talk to them about needs and issues that were developing and we worked together to ensure my children had what they needed to be successful. The schoool always includes kids with special needs in any and all activities that the regular ed kids were doing. This made my children and I feel like part of the Twain family. I wish my kids could stay at this school until 12th grade with same wonderful staff that has helped them developed in so many areas during the past 4 years.

Posted June 03, 2010
Wonderful neighborhood school! Only downside ~ it only goes up to 5th grade. Great PTA - well organized! Tons of Parent Volunteers on a daily basis. The Principal and the Teachers really care about their students. Life is a bit easier since students have to wear uniform. ; )

Posted May 06, 2010
I moved to this area because of the school. I love this school, and my 3 kids love it just as much.

Posted May 05, 2010
My Grandchildren are going (and have gone) to Mark Twain. It is a terrific school, inclusive activities, great teachers and a wonderful principal loved by all the students.

Posted May 04, 2010
Twain has great teachers and has a sense of a family commitment

Posted May 04, 2010
Great school with educators that are really interested in helping the students learn and grow!

Posted May 03, 2010
The staff is wonderful to work with especially if you have a child attending Special Education classes. They include students with special needs in all their acitivities.

Posted May 01, 2010
Very nice school. Love Ms. Ryan. She brings a new kind of spark to the school. She is very kind, warm and friendly.

5021 East Centralia Street, Long Beach, CA  90808-1329
Last modified Twain Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.