Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

We have been with this school since 2008, all three of our chiidren have gone there, we have one left in the 4th grade. They have been taking away programs/activities more and more each year. They do not have the monthly student awards they always had, they used to fundraising prize that students looked forward to each year has been taken. They do not go on many field trips. They stopped the field trips to Knotts for gold rush in 4th grade , something that I even went to as a 4th grader in another school. They have limited after school programs. We miss the principal Ms.Ryan it seems this stuff started changing since she was transvered to another school. She had a unique relationship with all the students there, taking the time to get to know every student. My kids have noticed the changes since she left.

Supports LD students: Disagree

They have gate programs but not any special education pragrams. They have had some speech and a reading program for students that are doing poorly. They offer no help except a tutor you are required to pay for out of your own pocket. I would not advise having a child with learning disabilities to go to Twain.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

Not impressed with the principle that was transfered here. This will be her 3rd year with Twain. Wish the othet principle did get transfered.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Since the start of common core my children seem to be struggling more and more each year. My youngest is completely lost in math and nothing is being done to help him. He has never had this much trouble in math as he does now.

Amount of homework: Neutral

To much homework given every night. Most nights our 4th grader has at least 3 pages plus their nightly reading. Why do they have to do so much homework after being in school all day, they spent all evening doing homework. This leaves entire week only school, they have no time for otherthings.

I feel this school is unfortunately way overrated for its current condition in 2015. Take a notice of how old the rest of the reviews/comments are! We have been there for three years and the only positive I can mention are the teachers we have had. They are great with children and have high expectations. Their rigorous curriculum really sets the bar high and my daughter has been able to achieve success! Mrs. Lucas in Kinder and Mrs. Mitchell is 1st grade are amazing! From what I gather from friends and my own experiences, the staff are great with high achieving and GATE students, but the interventions for struggling students is lacking. Other than good teachers, this school has very little to offer. There are NO after-school enrichment activities, just supervision on the playground. The monthly student awards ceremony was taken away which is highly disappointing. There is no sense of community or school pride. This school should be doing its best to sell itself to the public. It is not and I am not impressed. The building is in poor condition with painting peeling off the classroom walls...shame! The PTA seems friendly for the most part. I do like the valet system they have that is run by volunteers. Twain has dropped in reputation over the past few years for good reason. They were a Blue Ribbon School, but that was almost 20 years ago. A lot has changed since then. My daughter is happy there, but she doesn't see what we see. I love the neighborhood and the fact that we can walk to school, but we are currently shopping around for a better school experience.

I can't say enough good things about Twain! My daughter started kindergarten here last year and it has been a wonderful experience for her and our entire family. The principal, PTA and staff are very involved and as a result have created a great learning environment!

As a parent of twins with Autism finding the right school to meet their needs has and will always be my priority. The last 4 years at Twain has been outstanding. The teachers, principal, counselor, etc have always been supportive of my children and their special needs. I could always talk to them about needs and issues that were developing and we worked together to ensure my children had what they needed to be successful. The schoool always includes kids with special needs in any and all activities that the regular ed kids were doing. This made my children and I feel like part of the Twain family. I wish my kids could stay at this school until 12th grade with same wonderful staff that has helped them developed in so many areas during the past 4 years.

Wonderful neighborhood school! Only downside ~ it only goes up to 5th grade. Great PTA - well organized! Tons of Parent Volunteers on a daily basis. The Principal and the Teachers really care about their students. Life is a bit easier since students have to wear uniform. ; )

I moved to this area because of the school. I love this school, and my 3 kids love it just as much.

Last modified Twain Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.