Long Beach, CA

Wilson High School 1

Posted September 10, 2014
STAY AWAY!! This school is all about smoke and mirrors. While there are some hard working staff and teachers the administration is horrible. They allow the kids to run wild and are not supportive of their teachers there. It is severely overcrowded and they have lowered their standards in the past couple of years otherwise their "park avenue" would be overrun with kids below a 2.0 average. Stay away at all costs!

Posted April 29, 2014
This school is a really great school for learning, you got AP classes, accelerated classes, and even a special program for students that are falling behind (Below 1.4 GPA avg.) called Park Avenue. There are a wide variety of electives to choose from like Graphic Design, 3D art, Art and Animation, Ceramics, Architecture , Piano, and many others! There are also many other languages other than English to choose from!

Posted September 16, 2012
I am a parent of a Wilson student and a teacher at a different Long Beach High School. Wilson has a strong academic program, plenty of student support for both academics and personal issues and great parent support. My student is also an athelete and the coaches emphasize academics before athletics. The staff at this school has always returned my emails and phone calls either the same day or the next day. I even received an email from the counselor at 10pm. My student is very happy at Wilson and her academic program is both challenging and engaging. We have had only positive experiences at this school.

Wilson High School 2

Posted May 05, 2012
Wilson is a historic school with unsophisticated, completely disorganized and overly impacted programs. For the past four years we have experienced disengaged and unhelpful counselors and dishonest athletic booster clubs coupled with administrators who are more interested in the status quo rather than progress. Poly PACE or CIC seem to be much better programs in the same school district with overall better athletic performance.

Posted November 07, 2011
Overall, Wilson is a great school. I have two children attending at this moment. One of my children is special needs; this is where Wilson needs to refine their skills. Granted parental involvement is vital with any student and especially when that child has special needs, but I have had to go beyond the norm to advocate for my child. Both my children are doing well at Wilson but be diligent if your child has any special needs.

Wilson High School 5

Posted November 07, 2011
Wilson is a good school, my son graduated this past may in The Distinguished scholars program top 26 students. He received the President scholarship at CSULB and a scholarship from WB. High school has changed this year but it is what you make it. Students go there assigned counselor door and write there name down, the counselor will take the student out of class to speak to them. Parents have to understand they must let there child take care of this stuff. As on of the parents stated they can't get a hold of the counselor, I found they answer emails a lot faster then phone calls. I use to set up my appoints threw email. Good luck to all the parents and students at Wilson....we as parents had a great experience.

Wilson High School 1

Posted November 06, 2011
It is my understanding that this school used to be better but im guessing budget cuts have ruined that for many schools- including this one. This school is way overcrowded. The Distinguished scholars program is no where near as challenging as they claim it will be and the all new adminstration abd counselors are so overwhelmed that you are lucky to get a call back after 5 or 6 attempts.In addition, if your child has any issues that need attendind to, dont expect ant compassion- they are rude and short with you and your kid... If you do not want your good student to end up "just a number" and lost in a crowd, find another school, i wished i had! We are out of there in January-semester change!

Wilson High School 5

Posted March 31, 2011
I LOVE WILSON!!!! I also miss being there, great school better than other school around long beach.

Wilson High School 0

Posted October 12, 2010
As an example of Wilson's preparing students for careers, they are one of the few high schools having computer classes that will earn students certifications in PhotoShop and other programs.

Posted April 13, 2010
This is my eighth year teaching at Wilson and twenty-third year teaching total. I teach in a program for at-risk students and I enjoy it most days. I think Wilson has a lot to offer--a lot of AP classes, Distinguished Scholars, lots of clubs, lots of activities, sports, and a program for those students who are struggling. Wilson's not a perfect school by any means--I think we're way overcrowded; we weren't built to house 4500 kids and I don't think we have enough staff to monitor all of them (district budget cuts). We've had our racial issues at times and I wish more African American and Latino students would get involved, but all in all, we're a good school and I would send my own child here. P.S. Shhhh...I'm a Poly grad!

Wilson High School
4400 East Tenth Street, Long Beach, CA  90804
Last modified Wilson High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wilson High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top