K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I am the parent of four children, two of which attended another local Catholic K-8 elementary school and received what I thought was a good education. However I can honestly say that our two younger children received an overwhelming rounded education at St. Josephs Elementary School. They were well prepared for High School and College with knowledge that will live with them the rest of their lives. The faculty and staff are loving, kind and excellent at meeting the needs of all the children and parents. The administration is unbelievably in tune with all the families and their needs and has an open door policy. I was impressed that all the teachers are credentialed and 97% of them have their Masters In Education. We were happy to know that the teachers attend outside staff development workshops on a yearly basis to keep their spirit and love of education at an all time high for their students. This school not only offers an excellent education in the core subjects and religion it also offers, CYO after school team sports, Latin, Music, Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Drumline, Symphonic Winds, Jazz Band and Regular Band. There is something for every child at this school that brings out their natural inner beauty and talents. We are blessed and thankful for the education our children have received from St. Joseph Elementary School.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Very mean teachers, they don't care about the children; it's all about their test scores so they hold back kids in the lower grades to achieve higher scores on the State test. Horrible tactics.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The teachers give too much busy work and not enough substance... Holiday breaks they load it on and projects are done by overachieved parents not the kids. Everything is a competition.

The community is great, parents and kids are really caring and friendly. The staff and teachers on the otherhand are very rigid and really don't set a great foundation for children by creating a hostile environment.

This school is very academic, one of the best private schools in Long Beach. Even better, the tuition is reasonable compared to other neighboring private schools. I went to a closeby Catholic School and I truly believe that the education and discipline it provides is well worth it. Having graduated valedictorian and having been a President's Scholar at Long Beach State, I can attest to this. I feel truly great knowing that my kids go to school here. The faculty is supportive, the curriculum is rigorous to prepare them for high school and beyond, and the kids include God in their lives by going to church weekly, saying daily prayers and taking religion classes.

I would like to share about the horrible experience w the principal Mrs Alvarez. We have recently moved to Long because of my job and tried to enroll our son at the school (5th grade). He's A and B+ student and we'll manner boy, and it has been over 2 weeks where Mrs Alvarez has promised to call back and no return calss. They had no problem taking the application money quickly. We've chose another school and we're embraced w warm welcome. St Joseph is just not the school for us and this principal is just unprofessional.

I am writing this hoping it will help those who are at a point of making the very important decision for their kids, seeking an excellent education hand in hand with a Catholic or Christian faith, a safe environment with people who really want to help your kids. I wish there were more reviews from parents to make it a bit easier choosing this school over the others in the area, however, I can testify to the fact that it should be at the top of your list if you are seeking a rigorous academics, strong community (amazing people there) feeling and an always welcoming environment. We have 2 kids at this school, and it has been a blessing that we have chosen it because it has made our kids over all better human beings first of all, and has given them the opportunity to excel and flourish. We have also found the staff approachable, including the Principal. It is not an easy task for parents, however. Parents need to and are expected to commit to meet the school's demand for academics excellence, fundraising events and other events. Parking is safe, and there is plenty of green space. Get in early, as hardly anyone leaves the school before completing 8th grade. -Submitted by a parent

St. Joseph Catholic School is a school focused on academics. I am impressed with the rigorous curriculum. The teachers are knowledgeable and methodical. Any questions that I have asked have been satisfactorily answered. The principal and the office staff are very professional. My child is very happy there - as am I!

Truly an excellent school with great academics, a strong supportive community, a safe environment, and a staff fully committed to the students as well as the school's Catholic Christian mission of educating the whole person. Highlights of my days are dropping my child off each morning and picking my child up each afternoon because I know that my child has had a wonderful experience during each school day.

I have a child at St. Joseph's currently. The teacher is excellent with supplying fun and challenging academics. He is learning far beyond what he would be in a public school. One problem I have discovered though is the principle and teacher are unsupportive if a child has any behavioral issues. It seems they are determined to be outstanding in academics, but leave students behind when there is anything getting in the way of their reputation to be number one. This school is competitive, and rigid in dealing with students who may deviate from the norm in any way.

Last modified St. Joseph Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8