No rating

St. Maria Goretti

Private | K-8 | 134 students

Living in Long Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $425,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted August 19, 2013

St. Maria Goretti School has a faith and friendly environment. The community is united to serve so that their children may soar in faith and academics.

Posted November 26, 2012

We are really happy at SMG! My son is loving it here and looks forward to going to school. The athletic fields are fantastic with plenty of room for the kids to play,(with real grass)! He gets to play in all the sports and is having a great time. They work them hard in the classroom and give them plenty to do. Teachers are always willing to meet and discuss performance. Overall a great school and a good value!

Posted June 23, 2012

We love this school. We just finished our first year at SMG and we are beyond happy to be at this school. The teachers are excellent and enthusiastic. They incorporate technology in the class room, which is important in this super technological world we live in. My child's self esteem is at all time high from being around awesome Christian educators and classmates. The campus is enormous with a field/grass area, trees and a baseball field, which we love. The sports programs are great and all the kids participate. The SMG community of people are friendly, welcoming and always willing to volunteer for events and functions. The Principal is an amazing educational leader. The academic programs are challenging. Several of the eighth grade graduates made it into the University Scholars Program at SJB, thanks to the great educators at our school. If you are looking for a great school, this is it.

Posted February 15, 2012

A blessing in Long Beach! This school has great academic programs, technology, green play area, religious education, and community service. I have seen a lot of progress with my son since he has started at SMG four years ago. But what I love most about the school is the safe, caring environment and community of learners from the Kinder students to the 8th graders. The faculty and staff are wonderful and welcoming.

Posted March 14, 2011

Our daughter enjoys going to Saint Maria Goretti (SMG) and we could not be happier. The principal, teachers, other staff, and parents we ve met are excellent. When we attend various SMG events, we definitely get a sense of community. We feel fortunate to find a school that not only has high academic standards, but also high behavioral standards as well. It s gratifying to watch our daughter gain a solid foundation in education and values. We also like that SMG has one of the most diverse student populations (based on the various schools we visited in the area), something we considered very important to assist our daughter in her ability to relate to and understand the cultural experiences and values of others. If you are looking for a good private school, we highly recommend you check out SMG.

Posted January 30, 2011

St. Maria Goretti offers small class sizes and a community feel for an affordable price. The teachers work well with parents and the principal is supportive. My child is happy at this school. Families are involved and kids get along well. All classrooms are equipped with laptops, LCD projectors and students use the technology frequently. Overall, a smart choice for elementary and middle school!

Posted January 28, 2011

I am very pleased to be sending my kids to such a wonderful school! They have small classes - enabling the teachers to give the kids more individual attention. The teachers are outstanding, the principal is the best (she knows every child by name!). There is a great sense of community here. After our experience with public school, I wouldn't even consider leaving St. Maria Goretti!

Posted December 7, 2010

Not only do children learn academics at this school, they also learn how to be in the world. SMG students are intelligent, tech savvy, friendly, kind to one another and to the earth. My son is in 2nd grade and we are very happy to have made this investment in his future. SMG offers small class sizes, which means more hands on and individualized learning. They have a lot of green space, so health and fitness are part of the school day. And also, the added benefit of the close-knit community where teachers and parents know each other is priceless!

Posted July 28, 2010

Three of my kids have attended to St Maria Goretti and I am very greatfull for finding this school, the teachers are awsome they are very dedicated, the Principal is very careing and the kids love her, the classes are very small compared to other schools. Academics are great and they also have all kinds of sports including golf, track, volleyball,baseball, football, basketball. They have computers in the classrooms, and I could go on and on, all I can say is a family enviroment, and most important they teach good morals and religion which to me is the fundament of everything. Thank you St Maria Goretti you rock.

Posted February 1, 2010

I'm so blessed to have had a parent refer my child to SMG. Small school, very dedicated teachers and a great principal. My child has a great balance of academics, religion and friends. I'm confident she will excel in HS and beyond because of her education at SMG.

Posted May 19, 2009

My only child is a student at St. Maria Goretti and I thank God for the blessings he bestowed upon our family by helping us find this school. All the teachers are dedicated and caring. I am sure they put in many hours with all the students. The principal is at every event and knows every child by name. I highly reccomend St. Maria Goretti.

Posted June 13, 2008

I also have a child that graduated and is doing very well in High School. But that was before the cuurent principal took over. I have a child that is graduating and her stardadized test score have declined the past 2 years. I suspect that this is true across the board among students the past 2 years.

Posted May 25, 2008

St. Maria Goretti provides a second home for my 2 kids. I have one daughter that has already graduated, and is very successful at a demanding private high school in the area. St. Maria Goretti has a perfect balance between a caring heart, high expectations, and discipline. The principal is extremely dedicated, and the teachers provide our kids with quality time, understanding that each child has different needs that should be addressed, and do this without lowering the high standards of the entire class. They are examples of catholic teaching by providing a loving environment and exemplifying what a Catholic should be in everyday life (morals, ethics, dress codes, no tattoos, conduct, etc)

Posted May 23, 2008

My son is the 8th from our family to attend SMG. He went to public school for kindergarten/speech last year. There is no comparison. SMG is the best it's ever been. The principal and staff are wonderful, available and open to new ideas. The classroom experiences are quite unique. Our extra curricular activities are the best. My son has learned so much this year and has the best first grade teacher that I could ask for.

Posted May 23, 2008

I am a former student of Saint Maria Goretti School and like many of the students i didn't appreciate what it had to offer. i got in a lot of trouble there and was nearing being expelled. I had problems with a former principal that cared more for rules and dress codes than he did about the students. I am now finishing my Junior year in Saint John Bosco High School and look at my younger brother who is in first grade at SMG. He loves the school, and in just a couple of years the new principal, Mrs. Fitzpatrick, has done a wonderful job turning the school around. I only wish that I could of had the same experience as him. But I am grateful my brother gets to experience an amazingly new school than I did

Posted May 21, 2008

SMG is an excellent school that I highly recommend. They have finally got the right principal and the staff is outstanding. Not to mention the beautiful campus, family environment, and the great relationship between the school and parish. Everyone works together as one, and everyone is welcome. My child has been going to SMG since Kindergarten and will be graduating this year, and I would like to say thank you SMG for the outstanding education my chid has received. God Bless SMG.

Posted May 15, 2008

SMG is an excellent school both academically and spiritually. The current principal is ALWAYS available, reasonable, and fair. (My son has had to visit her a couple of times.) This is a principal that spends more time at the school than she does her own home. She is always there trying and succeeding at making SMG the best school in Long Beach. The largest class has 20 students enrolled. The teachers are able to work with all of the students giving instruction in a way that fits all learning styles. The teachers love our kids or at least they make us feel like they do. <ggg> SMG has offered our family a small school environment that builds character and has allowed my son to excel academically.

Posted May 15, 2008

I highly recommend SMG. I drive my kids 30 min. just to get them there. The diversity, small class size, spacious campus and weekly mass are just a few of the reasons we love SMG. As for the education, my child is entering high school at an above average level along with many others that have attended SMG K-8th grade!!

Posted May 15, 2008

All 3 of my children graduated from SMG and have gone on to be stellar students and prepared, informed young adults. We chose the school because of the warm, caring environment and were not dissapointed. SMG honestly cares about each and every child and their personal development- hard to find these days. The teachers go out of their way to support the kids and all their extra cirricular activites. Send your child to Goretti and you wont be dissapointed.

Posted May 15, 2008

I have two children attending SMG. They transfered from one of the best public schools in Long Beach. I firmly believe that SMG is one of the best schools in the area, and wish we had put both of our children in the school from the first day of kindergarten. The quality of education far exceeds that of our public schools. Additionally, the sense of community and a positive hands on attitude among the other parents is beyond measure.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 13% 11%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mrs. Kathleen Hernandez
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3950 Palo Verde Avenue