No rating

Lakewood Christian Schools

Private | K-8 | 372 students

Our school is well known for Christian Performing Arts

Living in Long Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $425,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

School Official Point of View

Posted May 28, 2010

After a full review of our school program this Spring, 2010, the Accrediting Commission for Schools (ACS) of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) has granted our school a renewed Accreditation term of six years.

Posted August 12, 2013

Lakewood Christian School (LCS) is a fabulous educational institution. Our oldest son has been attending the school for a couple of years and our other son will be starting this Fall. The teachers and administrators are very dedicated and truly love what they do. The curriculum allows for much teacher-student interaction. It is a high-paced learning environment, but the small classroom size (usually no more than 20 students) allow for a lot of individualized time. The projects and field trips are well integrated with the curriculum. LCS also does a great job of keeping parents informed through their weekly electronic newsletter and parents web.

Posted June 17, 2013

Lakewood Christian School on Arbor Rd. is where you want to be if you are interested in providing your children an education, engagement and enrichment for intellectual, spiritual and social development. The principal greets parents and students in the mornings to start the day off right. There is art, choir, handbells, music, sports, computer and much more. Our kids have thrived on every level with mindful guidance from teachers who are true gems and deeply care about the art and science of teaching kids. The teacher know how to make learning fun and rewarding, with a keen eye on academic achievement and spiritual growth. I have checked out a wide variety of public, private and secular curriculums - Lakewood Christian School tops the list for solid school and community values, goals, and spirit.

Posted June 15, 2013

I've taught at Lakewood Christian School for the last 7 years and I have never worked in a more positive, supportive, encouraging environment. Everyone on staff cares deeply for their students and is like minded in their mission to help them grow academically, spiritually and socially. This was my last year at LCS because my husband and I are moving to teach at an international school. I will miss this place incredibly and I thank God for allowing me to work here in my formative years as a teacher.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 8, 2013

My son joined Lakewood Christian Middle School two years ago. LCS stands out as a very special place. We saw strong teacher/student relationships, small class sizes and a highly committed Principal. My husband and I are very happy with our experience at LCS. The teachers are highly qualified in their curricular areas and they are always available for the students relationally and academically. The group of middle school kids is special. As different as they all are, they treat each other with respect and love. There has not been a day I drop my son and his friends off at school where I don't feel thankful and satisfied knowing he's walking into a positive, nurturing environment. Academically, he is being well-prepared to move on to either public or private high school. Two other areas that stand out as extremely special are the smaller classes where all students are respectful of their teachers and the huge array of electives available each year to the students. I would highly recommend LCS to any parent looking for a positive Christ-centered environment for their middle school student.

Posted June 4, 2013

Our family has been enrolled at LCS for 7 years. The teachers never cease to amaze us. They really become a part of our family. Who we trust our precious children with on a daily basis is one of the most vital decisions a parent can make. At LCS, this decision is not only easy, but brings a peace that is priceless. The cost of private school can mean some sacrifices for our family, but one we gladly make every year. Our peace of mind and the love, nurturing and godly influence our children receive is worth far more than the annual tuition. There is much to be concerned about in the raising of children, but where they spend their days and what they are hearing in the classroom is not one for our family. God has clearly blessed the school with academic greatness, yes, but more importantly, with a staff who has a love for His children. I strongly encourage anyone seeking a private school that truly serves the Lord, to look no further than Lakewood Christian Schools.

Posted June 4, 2013

Lakewood Christian Schools is a remarkable place to be. I am a parent of two children who have attended the school since preschool....my son is just finishing up his 6th grade year and my daughter is about to graduate from kindergarten. My husband and I pray yearly about sending our children the LCS and each year He keeps us coming back. This school has bought so much joy to my children, myself and our family. LCS has helped to instill in our children how to love others, great leadership skills, biblical values, reading, writing and many more excellent attributes. I have been apart of my children's education from day one buy volunteering, serving on PTF ( Parent Teacher Fellowship) , helping in our annual school events such as In N Out Day, Book Fair, Talent Show, Skate Depot Night and so much more. I would have does these thing for my children at any other school but with LCS, I LOVE to do them! We are family and I am proud to be apart of it with my children. The staff and administration have always come along side us as parents with love and support. I would highly recommend LCS to anyone looking for a school that is centered around the love of Christ.

Posted May 20, 2013

This is my daughters first year at LCS and she loves the many options she has for electives and she has also excelled academically at this school. However, socially she has not connencted. I agree with the comment posted on 4.3.12 regarding social ostracism and that teachers at LCS do not address that issue. My daughter has also complained about favortism towards certain students due to their personal circumstances. I want my daughter to not only like her her classes but enjoy going to school there becuase of the staff and fellow students and unfortunately this is not the case.

Posted April 3, 2012

The LCS middle school provides the academic foundation my child will need to excel in high school and beyond. The teachers are responsive to students and parents. The principal Mrs. Barton is accessible. The school would rate 5 stars, but the staff needs to be more attuned the teasing or the social ostracism that happens and be more pro-active in addressing the issue, particularly in a Christian environment. Overall, it's a high quality school and most kids will have an enjoyable experience at LCS.

Posted February 25, 2012

Our daughter has been attending LCS since preschool, and now she is going to graduate 8th grade this year. We have loved every year. She is so prepared for high school, but we are really going to miss this school. Her teachers have been wonderful every year. She has learned so much and been so loved. We have appreciated how the teachers have partnered with us in raising our child. She has had so many great electives in middle school and she really loved being in drama club and choir, as well as getting an excellent academic education. Thank you, LCS!!

Posted November 6, 2011

LCS was such an AMAZING school. I went there for 9 years, from kindergarten to 8th grade. i just graduated last June. The small size of the school was great because you got to know all your teachers and friends really well. it felt more like a big family than a school. I love lcs and i miss it a lot

Posted March 23, 2011

My daughter has attended Lakewood Christian Elementary School for the past four years and absolutely loves it! I could not imagine sending her to another school. Every year we have been blessed with teachers that strive to provide her with the best education possible. They communicate openly and work with parents to meet the individual needs of each student. I have always been impressed by the kindness and Christ-like attitude of the all of the staff. The diversity of the school s student and staff population has given my daughter the opportunity to interact with a variety of different people. The administration truly cares about all students regardless of ethnic or cultural background and actively demonstrates the love of Christ to everyone. I have recommended the school to many other parents.

Posted February 27, 2011

We came to Lakewood Christian School 2 years ago - coming in from a public school, and have children in both the elementary and middle school. We are so very thankful for this school and the educational/moral foundation they are helping our children to build. The academics are phenominal and the extra programs (music, art, sports, etc.) are all top notch!! We appreciate the multicultural dynamic of staff/students and love the feel that we are all one big family. I would encourage anyone looking for a good school to visit LCS - you will not find a better school!

Posted February 2, 2011

Love this school curriculum, standards etc... BUT there is no diversity on the staff or administration. The atmosphere for hispanic or african american kids may be a little uncomfortable, as a mother when I am there I sense a little undertoned racism from the play ground staff to teachers and administration.

Posted January 30, 2011

My son has been attending Lakewood Christian since Kindergarten and he is currently in 3rd grade. He absolutely loves it. He is doing so well and his little sister will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. Our family is so pleased with the staff and leadership at LCS. It isn't just a school but a family. Everyone is super supportive and loving. We can't say enough great things about LCS.

Posted January 29, 2011

This isn't a school, it's a family :) i've gone here since kindergarten and i'm completely crushed that i'm graduating. The teachers have always been loving and caring, well except my 1st grade teacher, but she left that year, we just had different views i guess XD i couldnt imagine going to any other school. people worry that its too small but really it makes it easier and you feel more connected to eachother. its too much wonderfulness to describe in a post, you have to be there. and the teachers are so cool, i love them , they make it so you want to go to school. And my friends are the best friends i've ever had, i cant imagine what i'd do without them :)

Posted September 12, 2008

My son came from another private school that I thought was great at the time. Now that we are at Lakewood Christian I no longer think that. This school is absolutely amazing. From the teachers to the executive staff are aboslutely wonderful. Lots of parent teacher interaction with great music and sports programs. This school is at the top of my list of schools I visited during my school search.

Posted January 26, 2008

I am a new student in 6th grade from out of state and I love Lakewood Christian. The middle school principal, Mrs. Barton is, by far, the best principal I've ever had, and I've had five total. When I took the tour a few days before I started, all the students and Mrs. Barton made me extremely welcome, and on the first day, all of the sixth graders, + some seventh and eighth graders, came up to me and showed me around, and became my friends. All the students are very kind and the teachers alI make school interesting and fun. I always look forward to going to school and being surrounded by people who care about me so much. I love Lakewood Christian. Go LCS Bears!
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 17, 2007

After an ultimately disheartening experience at a top-rated public school in our area, we decided last year to send our daughter to fourth grade at FBCOLS and to start our son there in kindergarten. The pre-school, which both children had attended, is superb, and we were desperate to find a place where not only academics were important, but also focus was placed on the whole child and on creating a safe and happy place for our children to thrive. Truly, we cannot stress how pleased we have been since making this decision: a day has not gone by on which we are not thankful for the wonderful experience our children have had. Teachers are enthusiastic, organized, and caring; the music program is excellent--creative, inclusive, and fun; children are encouraged to be good citizens; activities create a sense of belonging among all grades; even P.E. is outstanding. This is a great school.

Posted June 16, 2007

I just love this school! The teachers are outstanding! They are kind and loving to all the children. This school offers so many wonderful extras for the children to learn. The art program is amazing. All the staff at this school does a great job making the kids feel really good about themselves. I highly recommend this school both spiritually and academically.

Posted November 4, 2006

FBCOLS is a first rate Christian school where both of my kids received a top notch education from Kindergarten through graduation. There is a strong academic emphasis with Biblical truths intertwined throughout the day. My daughter has gone on to an accelerated public high school program and is at the top of her classes. She has thanked her FBCOLS teachers for doing such a fantastic job of preparing her for high school and life in general. The students, parents, and staff at FBCOLS are like a big family. There is a lot of parent involvement that the teachers welcome with open arms. I encourage you to take a tour of FBCOLS, and I m sure you ll feel the warm atmosphere for yourself as you witness strong academics, music, and sports in progress.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 11%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • ACSI Exemplary School - Middle School Video Program (2009)

Arts & music

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs. Brenda Barton
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (562) 420-9140

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Foreign languages taught

• Improv
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Drama club
  • Video Club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • PTF