Los Alamitos, CA

Posted May 29, 2015
Our daughter came to Hopkinson from private school and we have been very pleased with our teacher, the staff, programs and supportive environment at Hopkinson! It is very apparent that there is tremendous parent & community support at work here. Would like to see some expanded outdoor play equipment for recess. Our daughter is happy & we are too!

Francis Hopkinson Elementary School 1

Posted April 09, 2014
Hopkinson school use to be great.. it has been lacking supervision .. my 6 year old daughter walked out the school .. we're was her teacher ??? And also bug infested.. I'm very disappointed with this school .
3 people found this helpful

Posted February 19, 2014
Hopkinson is truly an amazing school. The teachers are engaging and truly seem to care about the children's well being. I would highly recommend this school for both the community feel as well as the superior academic teaching.

Posted January 26, 2014
Last year a child in TK walked off campus and went home a couple of blocks away. Supervision is lacking when it comes to the 4-5 year olds. They are out on a huge playground after lunch. Supervisors do not walk around much. No one facilitates the kids who are by themselves in finding a group or game to join in. Teachers have no interest in what is happening at lunch and recess.
4 people found this helpful

Posted January 26, 2014
Last year a student from TK walked off campus and went a few blocks home. The 4-5 year olds are not supervised properly. They are sent to lunch recess on the huge playground. Lunch aides do not walk around enough. No one ever walks up to a child who is alone and tries to facilitate the child finding a group or game to join in. Teachers I have encountered for the most part do not care to know about what happens on the playground. There are teachers who care a great deal, and individually do what they can, but administration should ask aides to be more proactive.

Posted October 06, 2013
Treat each child uniquely. The teachers are great and are very dedicated to the development of the children.

Posted September 08, 2013
We have had a couple of great teachers so far at Hopkinson! I know parents who have not been so lucky, so realistically, the school has its strengths and weaknesses. All we can do is report our experiences. I see some people come on here to lecture parents when this site is about the school. Whether one volunteers at the school or not, does not change the fact of whether your teacher goes above and beyond and is loving. This district as a whole segregates differently-abled students to one campus for the most part. You know it's true! ST Math has been around for years. Other districts are now changing from it. Start talking to your friends out of state, and find out what their schools have . You might be surprised at how lacking our district is. Another weakness is that administrators have decided to have their own children at Hopkinson which many, many parents feel is inappropriate. This is not just my opinion. Knowing that so many people feel this way compels me to address it because they do not feel comfortable AT ALL with the situation. Please do not attack me for writing this. It is my true experience at Hopkinson....a school with many strengths and some weaknesses.
5 people found this helpful

Posted September 08, 2013
We have had one exemplary teacher, one good and one abysmal teacher. Sounds like a lot of schools. The teachers have it really good compared to other schools. They get a lot of parent volunteers and class donations. Test scores are great because the students have a lot of advantages and enrichment activities provided by parents. Hopkinson has some of the best teachers I have ever met, but there are also lazy, spoiled, rigid, uncaring ones as well.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 01, 2013
We LOVE Hopkinson. After reading all of the reviews, it seems like the involved families are happy and others are not. get involved, especially if you a special kid, one way or another!

Posted August 29, 2013
This is an amazing school that focuses on the whole child. The staff is experienced and enthusiastic. The new principal is implementing new technology such as 1:1 i-pads and ST Math. The parents put in a lot of volunteer hours, making this a true neighborhood school. Can't say enough good things! I feel so fortunate to have had both of my kids attend Hopkinson!

Francis Hopkinson Elementary School
12582 Kensington Road, Los Alamitos, CA  90720
Last modified Francis Hopkinson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Francis Hopkinson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top