No rating

St. Hedwig Elementary School

Private | K-8 | 442 students

Living in Los Alamitos

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $659,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,860.

Posted October 26, 2013

We love this little school in Los Alamitos. This school feels like school should feel like. The work is not so challenging that kids and parents are stressed out, but it is challenging in different areas depending on the child. The principal is so nice and friendly and says hello to kids and parents. The vice principal is nice too. The families are friendly and nice too and there are different types of families to choose from to be friends with--some variety in all realms (socio-economic, ethnic, geography, etc). They have PE which is great and really focus on character education. The culture here is so kind and everyone in the administration works with the parents as partners to be successful. Older kids seem so well-mannered by 8th grade and are friendship partners to little ones. Great school of sensitive children and great school for kids who can learn how to be more caring and sensitive.

Posted September 4, 2013

So far so good. People are so nice here. It's such a kind school filled with people who seem like they want to do good in the world and to teach their children how to give back. The kids seem very well-behaved! Curriculum is filled with great things like character education and it's not a push kids at all costs kind of environment which is great.

Posted June 3, 2012

This is our first year at St. Hedwig and we absolutely love this school. We live in Los Alamitos and struggled with the decision on sending our daughter to private school, especially considering that the public schools in our district are amazing. What convinced us to go with St. Hedwig was 1) Only 2 classes per grade, 2) goes through middle school, 3) uniforms, 4) strong academics, 5) the teachings of our Catholic faith, 6) PE, sports and music classes, and finally 7) a REAL library with lots of books - not just a "media center". St. Hedwig is worth every penny of our very modest income. Also, in regards to the comment dated Feb. 8th about kinder students leaving because of the teacher, I can say that the only student who left this year moved out of state. They must be referring to a different year, I guess. In my experience both teachers are attentive and caring. Go Celtics!

Posted May 20, 2012

Great school, principal, and curriculum!! No comparison to public schools. We highly recommend St. Hedwig if you are serious about your children's education.

Posted February 8, 2012

Great group of parents at this school. The principal and vice-principal, however, not so great. My child's kindergarten teacher - absolutely, not great. I pulled my child out mid-year (another child's parents did the same - their child was in the same kindergarten class) due to this teachers behavior - and the lack of reponse from the principal and vice-principal. I'm glad I did. I expected a higher level of integrity at a private Catholic school, and they just did not deliver. I did not want their influence in my child's life during her most formative years.

Posted February 2, 2012

Fantastic School! Such a loving enviroment for growing children. The families that attend this school are very focus on getting the best, one on one education in every aspect for their children. It is stuning to see the graduating children being super polite, caring and loving individuals. They learn at a very young age to care for others and to make this world a better place for all of us. The humanity its what separates this children from public school. Academically fantastic, my neighbors daughter is graduating Harvad University this spring after attending St Hedwig School! Hands down one of the best schools in Souther California!

Posted September 14, 2010

St. Hedwig has been a godsend for our family! We could not have found a better place for our son and I really credit his teacher, the principal, who I might add has always made us feel warm and welcome, and the other parents! Our son really enjoys going to school each and every day! We could not be happier! He is getting a solid foundation in academics as well as a strong foundation in wonderful morals and values. We would highly recommend this school to everyone!

Posted May 4, 2010

Excellent school! Great choice for our kids.

Posted March 8, 2010

St. Hedwig is a great school. Our children love going to school. It has great academics, great extracurricular activities like kickball, sports, cheerleading, and academic decathlon. Also great music program, advanced math, spanish program, computer program, PE program, and an accelerated reader/library program. It teaches great morals, values and a wonderful religious instruction. We recommend the school to everyone.

Posted March 2, 2010

It scares me that the children are getting little supervision on the playground!

Posted February 2, 2010

Save your money and hire tutor. Too many cliques. Principal did not do a good job resolving my child's problem with teacher. Sports are great if you are there for the athletic program. Academic decathalon is great if that is of interest to you.

Posted January 18, 2010

the teachers and families, I agree are the only asset to the school. Its all about money at that school. Unless your very well off, dont bother applying..

Posted May 28, 2009

We have been at St. Hedwig for 2 years and could not have asked for a better situation for our son. He absolutely loves going to school everyday and it has been gratifying to watch his growth as a student and a person. The principal and teachers are excellent and approachable and have created an incredibly nurturing environment. Just spend some time on the playground to watch the student interaction; they are so well-behaved. We also love the fact that the school is continually adding programs (e.g. Meet the Masters, music program, etc) to help nurture well-rounded students. There is incredible parental involvement and the school provides before and after school child care to meet the needs of the parents. We highly recommend the school!

Posted April 1, 2009

We have been involved in the school for three years and are very happy to have selected this school for our two children. St Hedwig has done an excellent job of defining its mission and living to its values. The school is focused on the basics of education and states that it is preparing our children for the marathon of life, not the short race. It values the education of the whole child and works toward the goal of its students attending college. The principal and teachers are very dedicated and approachable. Parents are highly involved in fundraising and supporting the school. Some of the activities/benefits include: coed kickball (a 45 year tradition), Meet the Masters, all-day kindergarten, after-school care, computer lab, computers in classrooms, sports -football, basketball,cheerleading, harp, music, concerts. It has a history of producing future scholars at the high school and university levels. A great school.

Posted December 17, 2008

What a find! I have a second grader and kindergartener who are excelling at St. Hedwig. My second-grader is already reading at a fifth grade level. The school has a great sense of community and the parents, in general, have high academic and behavioral standards for their children. One of the things that really attracted me to the school is the K-8 structure. The 6-8th grade students seem to have a confidence and politeness that you don't often see. I want my kids to be in a consistent, nurturing yet challenging atmosphere during the early adolescent years, preparing them to excel in high school. Meeting the older students and seeing their work, particularly, their writing, makes me confident in my decision. I have found the teachers to be top-notch. They are respectful and very creative in their approaches to engage children at different academic levels. This school is definitely worth a look !

Posted December 9, 2008

St. Hedwig is a great school. They have high standards for both academics and personal conduct. My kids love going to school everyday. The teachers make learning fun and rewarding. I like knowing I'm sending my kids to a school that reinforces the values I teach them at home. St. Hedwig also has great leadership and sports programs. It's a great school!

Posted June 8, 2007

2006/2007 School year brought a new Principle. She has brought faith and spirt to the school which was lacking. Unfortunately for a Catholic school there is no forgiveness and or redemption and the focus is on the negative behavior and work. There is little or no positive reinforcement. The staff does not have the knowledge or understanding that each child has different needs and learns in different ways. If you child excels or struggles this is not the school for you. They have a very competitive sports program for the upper grades and a fun kickball league for 3-5. There is a lot of parent involvement but a lot of it brings clicks and special privileges to those families. Money and power talks at this school. There is very little supervision on the playground and there is a lot of teasing and bulling. Academically the school is fine.

Posted August 26, 2003

I attended St. Hedwig's from kindergarten through eighth grades, graduating in 1991. Of course, while I was a student, I hated the uniforms and school in general. But, looking back at my quality education and the kindness of my teachers, I would feel privileged to send my children to St. Hedwig.
—Submitted by a former student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 11%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Rev. Christopher Heath
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Orange

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3591 Orangewood Avenue