Posted June 30, 2014
Oak Avenue is a wonderful experience for the whole family. Not only do the children get a great education, they also get a community that cares about them. It is a very welcoming group of parents - involvment opportunities for all. To top it off, the school won the National Blue Ribbon award in 2012 - mark of excellence in education recognized by US Dept of Education.

Posted December 10, 2012
We couldn't be happier or more impressed. We love the teachers, administration and the education. But we also love the community including the parents and kids. Many kids in our neighborhood bike to school together and watch out for each other. The noon play staff and volunteers help make the playground fun and safe for everyone. The project corner stone influence has had an amazing effect. I think LASD is very innovative with teaching and has a whole child approach. To be honest and fair, the only thing that pains me is the lack of foreign language as part of the day, however, there are after school programs. Every event we have attended has always had more then enough volunteers and each younger class room seems to have volunteers weekly. Oak is small, caring and has been wonderful for us.

Posted August 22, 2011
Academics are rigorous and thanks to conciencious district budgeting and the LAEF, we still have our fine arts program, library, and PE k-6. The PTA is very motivated and proactive, driving many programs such as Project Cornerstone, classroom support, hot lunch, noon day, walk-a-thon, Junior Olympics, Geography Bee, Welcome social, spring social, auction, edible garden... etc. Every grade has a wonderful field trip that ties into a major academic theme. The 4th graders have an overnight in Coloma, The 5th graders spend 2 nights at the beach and the sixth graders spend a week at Walden West science camp. There are many thematically taught units that make cross-academic connections. The teachers we have had have all been very accommodating of the personalities of our children... even for my child on an IEP - the school, teachers, principals, have been more supportive than I expected. Oak Avenue School brings together all the families of the surrounding community. I have been looking for a neighborhood where neighbors smile and greet each others when they pass by each other on the street. It's the tree-lined neighborhood that I always dreamed of being a part of.

Posted January 09, 2011
This is my last year at Oak and I have been going for seven years. My teachers were fantastic as are the others there. There is plenty of time to play allowing us to take our minds off school work. Oak has vocal lessons and instrumental lessons for 4th, 5th, and 6th. There is also a science fair, flag football teams for 4th, 5th, and 6th, and school spirit days. The parents are very involved and come in to help almost daily. Oak school is a very friendly environment and I would consider every kid that has experienced Oak, very lucky.

Posted April 10, 2010
Oak school is a wonderful place for learning. I have never once been disappointed from anything that has happened here. Even with the recession hitting hard, this school is still up and running. I am at my last year at this school, and would recommend it to anyone

Oak Avenue Elementary School 3

Posted February 22, 2010
The school is not what it appears to be. They have a tendency to give most attention to those students who are doing well and have those retained that are not doing well. There is very little parenet participation because the school does not want the help. I know because my children have been to multiple schools.

Posted September 05, 2009
I can't think of a better place to send my kids. Both of them went there. The whole environment is kid friendly, and all the teachers are skilled and very nice. Yes there is a lack of diversity, meaning its primarily caucasian and asian, but as a parent, there are other ways to introduce my kids to other kids of different backgrounds and cultures.

Oak Avenue Elementary School 2

Posted July 27, 2009

Posted May 05, 2008
Excellent school. Attention to each kid.

Oak Avenue Elementary School 0

Posted May 05, 2008
Well-balanced school with the right amount of emphasis on academics and play. I'm a believer that play contributes significantly to academic and social skills, especially in the elementary school ages. Video games as a form of 'play' excluded. Echoing other reviewers, parent involvement is very high. Rarely that a teacher won't get more than one parent to help and volunteer for whatever she/he needs. Part of the school has been renovated, but the district ran out of money before they could do the multi-purpose room. Could really use one big enough to accomodate the size of the school.

Oak Avenue Elementary School
1501 Oak Avenue, Los Altos, CA  94024
Last modified Oak Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oak Avenue Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top