No rating

St. Simon Elementary School

Private | K-8 | 524 students

Living in Los Altos

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $1,525,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,630.

Posted February 2, 2014

While it is true that some children in this school do mean things, that does not automatically make them "mean". They may come from low income homes, have learning differences, go through difficult family times including a death of a parent and some may be still working on their social skills. Most schools I visited have dealt with bullying at one time or another. We have been at St. Simon for 6 years and my child has been bullied a few times. As soon as I contacted the teachers the problem improved. Children cannot simply be expelled for one indiscretion. There are policies in place. Disciplinary actions are taken when appropriate. I must say that our new principal is FANTASTIC and has brought so many improvements to the school during the past two years. He really does make a difference in the lives of the children, parents and the teachers. St. Simon school is a happy place, where parents and teachers are really nice to each other and teach the children the same. Your thinking that "the administration is willing to look the other way" is probably caused by the strict confidentiality, which prevents the teachers from discussing the disciplinary measures taken.

Posted November 14, 2013

Mean Kids!??? Oh without a doubt! I witnessed this up close and personal. Funny thing is (not so funny) the administration is willing to look the other way. There is NO excuse for this type of bullying!

Posted September 19, 2012

St. Simon is a good school if your child is a good student and has no llearning differences (e.g. dyslexia, sensory processing, organizational skills delays, etc.). The school is not equipped to deal with these issues. Teachers are not trained in this area and students with these issues are ostracized. Some parents try the school for their student who is struggling - but for LD, St. Simon is not the answer.

Posted August 18, 2012

I have seen mixed reviews about St. Simon. I am now a freshman at St. Francis. Let me just say St. Simon prepared me well. I have seen some people say not so good things about this school, but there's no perfect school, is there? St. Simon has a wonderful staff, strong principal and school leadership, and it will challenge your child academically, and physically. There are after school activities and clubs, as well as sports to play. All the parents help out the school by doing yard duty, helping at the book fair, or in the health office. The Catholic part of this school also is admirable. Students will go to Mass every other Wednesday, and the fifth graders form a choir at school Masses. For me, school was fun, and I loved all my teachers and friends. So for all of you out there who say, "My child learned nothing!" or "Kids bully everyone!" You can believe what you like, but I am saying I will never forget this school. It prepares you for life and I am proud to be a Saint Simon Saint.

Posted November 14, 2011

We moved to St. Simon from a public school when my kids were in the lower grades. I couldn't be happier with the community and academics. It is a very safe, caring environment. My kids are very happy there and I have seen a big improvement with them socially. What I love best about St. Simon is the fact that the majority of the other families at the school share our family's values. I really feel I could count on so many families at the school to turn to if I needed help. It is a wonderful school with a fantastic community.

Posted October 23, 2011

If you are looking for a diverse environment. This is not the right place. And the academic is not that great. Besides my son was being bullied all the times.

Posted July 17, 2011

In response to the post from June 2, 20111: I think the reason for the kids to be mean is that they are placed in huge classrooms even in the earliest grades. They have 35 children per class in lower grades with one full time teacher. They have one part time aide who is shared between two classes. I don't think "cliquishness" is to blame, even though I agree it does exist. Teachers are simply overwhelmed and the children feel that.

Posted June 2, 2011

I found the children, at a very young age, to be somewhat mean to other kids. There is a cliqueiness here that shows up very early on. Perhaps it comes from the parents....So much for Christian ways.

Posted March 14, 2011

As a parent, I am happy with the experience and academic challenge my children are receiving at St. Simon's. My daughter runs in to her class and loves school. Her teacher is like a second Mom and revels in her success. All with the exception of one old teacher (grade 6) the middle school has also proven to be challenging while creating opportunity for personal growth and leadership. The teachers are engaged, lead extra curricular activities, integrate technology, and are innovative in they way they approach the classroom. My middle school student is thriving. We moved from the Cupertino Schools from an environment that stresses academics only, to a learning environment which has a strong emphasis on academics but also places value on the growth and personal development required for students to excel at the next level. Also, the principal and vice principal are responsive and engaged. I had heard mixed reviews - but cannot say enough good things about all of the people that make this school what it is. The teachers are impressive.

Posted March 7, 2011

This school, to say the least, messes kids up. Those catholic school stereotypes really come to life here with irritable nuns and teachers that won't get off their high horses for ANYONE. The rules are mindlessly followed and students, out of supervision's view, are snotty and cliquey, at any grade level. When graduating from St. Simon, many students are behind the area's public school students when joining them at either public or catholic schools, not only in many cases academically but also socially, experience-wise and when it comes to maturity, they are lost. My entire graduating class was to say the least, joyful to wave goodbye to St. Simon and it's attitude, many going towards public schools, and better things. I personally, will be forever scarred by this poor excuse for a school that has little focus on student's happiness and is a disgrace to the "kind Christian ways" it says it believes in. I am now a sophomore in high school and hope to never see this school again.

Posted February 20, 2011

SSS is a wonderful school. The students receive an excellent education that addresses the whole child. The academic program challenges all students to the highest levels. The tremendous after school sports program begins at 4th grade! There is a band program and other extra-curricular activities to enrich the educational experience. I am particularly impressed with the middle school program, which maintains high academic standards and supports the unique needs of this age student. Students are well-prepared for top tier high schools when they leave SSS. Great school!

Posted May 5, 2009

All Schools must be evaluated based on your families fit for a school, unfortunately we determined this much to late. This school has a great reputation and has been living on it for 8+ years. After my child left this school to attend high school we have found that the preparation provided by SSS was incomplete. The percentage of children at this school attending outside tutoring (Sylvan, Kuman, etc...) is very high. Considering the price of the school this is no a good sign. During my child's tenure at SSS the Teaching staff has completely turned over at least once less 2 teachers and many positions have turned over 2 or 3 times. If you are not part of the 'elite' school community you are not able to have access to getting things changed. The 'new' principal has his hands full making that school what it once was.

Posted April 10, 2009

As a former public school principal, I can say without hesitation that St. Simon's School is outstanding. In addition to the academic program, the community is really wonderful.

Posted April 6, 2008

I agree that SSS is a great school. The academics are a strong as the local public schools (Los Altos and Cupertino) but the school also has the added strength of a strong community that helps foster the moral growth of the children. The students are wonderful people, not just smart kids.

Posted September 6, 2007

My eldest daughter graduated from SSS, and is now at St. Francis. She feels SSS prepared her better than her classmates from other schools. When I asked for specifics, she said SSS taught her how to study. I attended the presentation of their standardized scores. They scored extremely well across the board, and in many cases, highest in the diocese. More importantly, SSS molds young men and women of character, with strong morals, who are taught to make sound decisions independently. In an area with several excellent choices for schools, Saint Simons is one of the best, if not the best.

Posted November 15, 2006

Rigorous academic program that also focuses on the 'whole person'. We transferred into this school from an outstanding public school and we have been very impressed by the teachers we have had so far. Best testament is meet the 7th and 8th graders here- smart, well-behaved, responsible teens well prepared for high school. A very strong community of parents too.

Posted May 7, 2006

Totally agree with the first reviewer. Wonderful school. Strong academically and the level of parent involvement is very high. Communication between the school and the parents is excellent. We are very happy we chose this school.

Posted January 11, 2006

We love the school. Extremely high level of parent involvement. High quality of academic and extra-curricular programs. Plus, really nice students.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mrs. Laura Potter
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of San Jose

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1840 Grant Road