Los Altos, CA

Posted February 02, 2014
While it is true that some children in this school do mean things, that does not automatically make them "mean". They may come from low income homes, have learning differences, go through difficult family times including a death of a parent and some may be still working on their social skills. Most schools I visited have dealt with bullying at one time or another. We have been at St. Simon for 6 years and my child has been bullied a few times. As soon as I contacted the teachers the problem improved. Children cannot simply be expelled for one indiscretion. There are policies in place. Disciplinary actions are taken when appropriate. I must say that our new principal is FANTASTIC and has brought so many improvements to the school during the past two years. He really does make a difference in the lives of the children, parents and the teachers. St. Simon school is a happy place, where parents and teachers are really nice to each other and teach the children the same. Your thinking that "the administration is willing to look the other way" is probably caused by the strict confidentiality, which prevents the teachers from discussing the disciplinary measures taken.

Posted November 14, 2013
Mean Kids!??? Oh without a doubt! I witnessed this up close and personal. Funny thing is (not so funny) the administration is willing to look the other way. There is NO excuse for this type of bullying!

St. Simon Elementary School 3

Posted September 19, 2012
St. Simon is a good school if your child is a good student and has no llearning differences (e.g. dyslexia, sensory processing, organizational skills delays, etc.). The school is not equipped to deal with these issues. Teachers are not trained in this area and students with these issues are ostracized. Some parents try the school for their student who is struggling - but for LD, St. Simon is not the answer.

Posted August 18, 2012
I have seen mixed reviews about St. Simon. I am now a freshman at St. Francis. Let me just say St. Simon prepared me well. I have seen some people say not so good things about this school, but there's no perfect school, is there? St. Simon has a wonderful staff, strong principal and school leadership, and it will challenge your child academically, and physically. There are after school activities and clubs, as well as sports to play. All the parents help out the school by doing yard duty, helping at the book fair, or in the health office. The Catholic part of this school also is admirable. Students will go to Mass every other Wednesday, and the fifth graders form a choir at school Masses. For me, school was fun, and I loved all my teachers and friends. So for all of you out there who say, "My child learned nothing!" or "Kids bully everyone!" You can believe what you like, but I am saying I will never forget this school. It prepares you for life and I am proud to be a Saint Simon Saint.

Posted November 14, 2011
We moved to St. Simon from a public school when my kids were in the lower grades. I couldn't be happier with the community and academics. It is a very safe, caring environment. My kids are very happy there and I have seen a big improvement with them socially. What I love best about St. Simon is the fact that the majority of the other families at the school share our family's values. I really feel I could count on so many families at the school to turn to if I needed help. It is a wonderful school with a fantastic community.

St. Simon Elementary School 2

Posted October 23, 2011
If you are looking for a diverse environment. This is not the right place. And the academic is not that great. Besides my son was being bullied all the times.

Posted July 17, 2011
In response to the post from June 2, 20111: I think the reason for the kids to be mean is that they are placed in huge classrooms even in the earliest grades. They have 35 children per class in lower grades with one full time teacher. They have one part time aide who is shared between two classes. I don't think "cliquishness" is to blame, even though I agree it does exist. Teachers are simply overwhelmed and the children feel that.

Posted June 02, 2011
I found the children, at a very young age, to be somewhat mean to other kids. There is a cliqueiness here that shows up very early on. Perhaps it comes from the parents....So much for Christian ways.

Posted March 14, 2011
As a parent, I am happy with the experience and academic challenge my children are receiving at St. Simon's. My daughter runs in to her class and loves school. Her teacher is like a second Mom and revels in her success. All with the exception of one old teacher (grade 6) the middle school has also proven to be challenging while creating opportunity for personal growth and leadership. The teachers are engaged, lead extra curricular activities, integrate technology, and are innovative in they way they approach the classroom. My middle school student is thriving. We moved from the Cupertino Schools from an environment that stresses academics only, to a learning environment which has a strong emphasis on academics but also places value on the growth and personal development required for students to excel at the next level. Also, the principal and vice principal are responsive and engaged. I had heard mixed reviews - but cannot say enough good things about all of the people that make this school what it is. The teachers are impressive.

Posted March 07, 2011
This school, to say the least, messes kids up. Those catholic school stereotypes really come to life here with irritable nuns and teachers that won't get off their high horses for ANYONE. The rules are mindlessly followed and students, out of supervision's view, are snotty and cliquey, at any grade level. When graduating from St. Simon, many students are behind the area's public school students when joining them at either public or catholic schools, not only in many cases academically but also socially, experience-wise and when it comes to maturity, they are lost. My entire graduating class was to say the least, joyful to wave goodbye to St. Simon and it's attitude, many going towards public schools, and better things. I personally, will be forever scarred by this poor excuse for a school that has little focus on student's happiness and is a disgrace to the "kind Christian ways" it says it believes in. I am now a sophomore in high school and hope to never see this school again.

St. Simon Elementary School
1840 Grant Road, Los Altos, CA  94024
Last modified St. Simon Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
St. Simon Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top