K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly agree

My children enjoy the school, teachers and after school activities. My wife and I like that they are really challenged academically and they are gaining a great foundation for successful academic achievement at the high school level. There is nice community of parents here that get involved in different activities and we also like that they instill a positive sense of faith and community as well, so, we feel like we have some really well- rounded children.

While it is true that some children in this school do mean things, that does not automatically make them "mean". They may come from low income homes, have learning differences, go through difficult family times including a death of a parent and some may be still working on their social skills. Most schools I visited have dealt with bullying at one time or another. We have been at St. Simon for 6 years and my child has been bullied a few times. As soon as I contacted the teachers the problem improved. Children cannot simply be expelled for one indiscretion. There are policies in place. Disciplinary actions are taken when appropriate. I must say that our new principal is FANTASTIC and has brought so many improvements to the school during the past two years. He really does make a difference in the lives of the children, parents and the teachers. St. Simon school is a happy place, where parents and teachers are really nice to each other and teach the children the same. Your thinking that "the administration is willing to look the other way" is probably caused by the strict confidentiality, which prevents the teachers from discussing the disciplinary measures taken.

Mean Kids!??? Oh without a doubt! I witnessed this up close and personal. Funny thing is (not so funny) the administration is willing to look the other way. There is NO excuse for this type of bullying!

St. Simon is a good school if your child is a good student and has no llearning differences (e.g. dyslexia, sensory processing, organizational skills delays, etc.). The school is not equipped to deal with these issues. Teachers are not trained in this area and students with these issues are ostracized. Some parents try the school for their student who is struggling - but for LD, St. Simon is not the answer.

I have seen mixed reviews about St. Simon. I am now a freshman at St. Francis. Let me just say St. Simon prepared me well. I have seen some people say not so good things about this school, but there's no perfect school, is there? St. Simon has a wonderful staff, strong principal and school leadership, and it will challenge your child academically, and physically. There are after school activities and clubs, as well as sports to play. All the parents help out the school by doing yard duty, helping at the book fair, or in the health office. The Catholic part of this school also is admirable. Students will go to Mass every other Wednesday, and the fifth graders form a choir at school Masses. For me, school was fun, and I loved all my teachers and friends. So for all of you out there who say, "My child learned nothing!" or "Kids bully everyone!" You can believe what you like, but I am saying I will never forget this school. It prepares you for life and I am proud to be a Saint Simon Saint.

We moved to St. Simon from a public school when my kids were in the lower grades. I couldn't be happier with the community and academics. It is a very safe, caring environment. My kids are very happy there and I have seen a big improvement with them socially. What I love best about St. Simon is the fact that the majority of the other families at the school share our family's values. I really feel I could count on so many families at the school to turn to if I needed help. It is a wonderful school with a fantastic community.

If you are looking for a diverse environment. This is not the right place. And the academic is not that great. Besides my son was being bullied all the times.

In response to the post from June 2, 20111: I think the reason for the kids to be mean is that they are placed in huge classrooms even in the earliest grades. They have 35 children per class in lower grades with one full time teacher. They have one part time aide who is shared between two classes. I don't think "cliquishness" is to blame, even though I agree it does exist. Teachers are simply overwhelmed and the children feel that.

I found the children, at a very young age, to be somewhat mean to other kids. There is a cliqueiness here that shows up very early on. Perhaps it comes from the parents....So much for Christian ways.

Last modified St. Simon Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8