Los Angeles, CA
Students enrolled: 1,025
Before care: Yes

Village Christian Schools 3

Posted October 20, 2014
As a student in high school who has been at Village for more than ten years now, I can understand the good and bad parts of Village. The good is that the teachers do care for you and if you need help or to simply talk, they have no problem taking time out of their day to make sure you are ok. Many of the students will go out of their way to be nice(especially with new students). The bad at Village is that there are several cliques(which you will find everywhere), a slow learning pace(especially in math courses), unqualified teachers, favoritism, a focus on athletics that dominates academics, too much gossip and drama, and I, find myself dreading Bible class. My faith has diminished due to the strict, old view, one-way curriculum and has also turned away many students from Christianity. Theres only one right answer in Bible classes, which would be whatever the teacher thinks is correct. In athletics, but most of the programs are not interested in developing the young players into superior players. The school has varsity level transfers on athletic scholarships that normal students can't tap into. If you belong in the Village Family, you will love it, if not, you'll want to leave.

Village Christian Schools 4

Posted July 12, 2013
I went to Village Christian High School after leaving its rival, Los Angeles Baptist (now Heritage Christian).The students can be bothersome at times because although friendly, they all seem obsessed with doing drugs, etc. just to make sure that people don't seem them as christian. Seriously, I'm an atheist and I go to this school and it's not necessary to mess up your life to prove you're not christian. For teachers, the ones I had were wonderful. They treated students as individuals and adults and made you feel like they wanted you to get a good grade. If you read any negative students reviews about the teachers, it is probably the slacker students who want to complain and don't realize how much they have because I have gone to four high schools in a year and by far, village is the best in terms of teacher-students relationships. However, for me the learning pace was slow in almost all my classes and I wish they hurried up in the material. Guidance counselors aren't my favorite because they seem obsessed with making you go to college no matter what job you are getting into (whether it requires college or not). Overall, a good school in general and much better than Heritage.

Posted March 13, 2013
Love this school! I am currently a student in high school and it is my very first year at VCS. I gotta say that I am very impressed with the academics, students, and the new staff. They've hired a new high school principle. He may be strict but he is still the kind of person who loves teenagers and kids. The bad reviews down below are completely INACCURATE, how could you hate this school? At my old school, I did not have any friends... none. But once I came here, I have made so many friends and I don't feel lonely or forgotten anymore. This school has really changed my life spiritually and emotionally. Probably the best part of this school is the Bible classes. There, you will get to interact with others classmates, have small prayer groups, discuss different subjects, and just spread the Word through VCServes. I am so grateful that my parents chose this school for me. I would highly recommend this school, no doubt about it.

Village Christian Schools 2

Posted May 30, 2012
Middle school was great for my child. High school is not as great. The new head of schools and the new high school principal are wonderful. WONDERFUL. I can't say enough marvelous things about Konjoyan, Osgood, and Nare. The PTF are a great group of parents also, but there is so little involvement from very many parents that the PTF is pretty much non-existent except for the same 10 or 15 parents who show up to everything. I cannot comment on elementary school as my child started in middle school. Middle school was wonderful for my child. Curriculum seemed to rival that of the old public school (which had an API of 990+) and the teachers all seemed competent and knowledgeable. Not sure how many were actually credentialed though. High school is poor. Scheduling is tough, AP classes hard to obtain due to small teaching staff, regular classes are not challenging and seem to be sub-par. Curriculum seems lower than the Glendale and Burbank public levels. Kids wander the campus during class times, teachers seem to let the students walk all over them, and don't reprimand kids very often. Not all teachers are credentialed. Christianity takes priority over academics.

Posted May 06, 2012
I cannot express in words how fantastic Village Christian has been so far for our two children (currently in 5th grade and 2nd grade). Both children started at VCS in Kindergarten and are likely to be "lifers". As of now (May 2012), we are in the second academic year under the leadership of our fantastic, Harvard-educated Head of School, who's vision, energy, experience, and intelligence have re-invigorated the teachers, support staff, parents, and students. He is visible at virtually every school event and exemplifies excellence on a daily basis. Our children are excelling in both academics and the arts. The daily workload is heavy (lots of homework and projects, especially in 5th grade), but our kids accept the challenge and invite more. We've had amazing teachers at VCS each and every year. Not one has been anything less than excellent, and our children's two current teachers are outstanding. I highly recommend Village Christian as a great value and certainly a safe, challenging, and rewarding alternative to the local LAUSD government schools. Please visit VCS and see for yourself what a great place it has become.

Posted March 01, 2011
We have 2 children at VCS, a 6th grader and a 2nd grader. We have been at Village since Kindergarten and have seen the school go through some a few transitions. Recently the school has been given a new breath of life with our new Head of Schools. This has brought about positive and necessary changes that are keeping Village an excellent choice for our children's education. We know 99% of our kids day is about what happens in the classroom and in consideration of our 7 years at VCS i can honestly praise the teachers...highly. They are dedicated, qualified and truly love what they do and the children they work with. The family support is strong. Parents and teachers work together as a team; at any point I know that i can walk into a classroom and see children learning instead of time being wasted on disciplinary problems. VCS has so much to offer from excellent education, fine arts, athletics and drama to life long friendships and teachers who really care. My kids are happy and so are we. I invite anyone to come visit and you will see it is a special place helping to raise responsible, college bound, respectful, well-rounded kids.

Posted February 07, 2011
We have been a VCS for the last seven years, and we have two children attending the school. As of August 2010, we have a new Head of School who has made everything that may have been wrong with the school right again & all the things we love about the school even better. He has built an amazing new staff & has reinvigorated our teaching faculty. I have fallen back "in-love" with this school! My kids consider the school their home away from home & have flourished in the loving, attentive environment that VCS gives. The parent involvement is at an all time high... you can't come on to campus without seeing a parent either having breakfast / lunch with their child, decorating for our next school function or assisting our teachers in some way. Our children are receiving the education they deserve along with all the additional extracurricular activities that go along with that... from sports to the arts... VCS has it all!

Village Christian Schools 2

Posted September 21, 2010
I had my two children enrolled at Village for four years. I found there is excellent parent involvement and wonderful kids from loving families. I had some problems with the administration, and several teachers were advising parents to put their children on medication such as Ridalin. The teachers all have their children enrolled in the school, and there are a LOT of politics. The minute I had financial trouble they forced me to remove my children, and would not allow them to finish the school year even though it was March.... I fail to see how there is any Christian influence on an administration that would treat their students of 4 years in such a COLD manner. I cried and cried as my students transferred to a public school in March to finish their 3rd and 5th grade year. Thanks Village

Village Christian Schools 1

Posted July 27, 2010
I was a lifer student at Village. It sucked. Most people talk about how great the school is, and for elementary, its worth it. but middle and high school isnt, I am not sour or angery towards this school. it just that i didnt learn the proper materials for my furture. im in college and failed the math and english clases i have taken. im on academic probation, not because i slack off, but cause i didnt learn anything. i worked very had these last few semesters but it didnt show because i was not well prepared. if you are going to spend $9000 a buy a new car every month. my friends in public schol learned as or more than i did. theres still alcohol and drugs on campus so its not much safer cuz there are no medal detectors so knives etc could easily be there too

Posted April 14, 2010
Love the school!! Even my 2 boys say they love it. The staff is great and I am finding that the education so far up to middle school is better than the rest.

Village Christian Schools
8930 Village Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  91352
Last modified Village Christian Schools is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Village Christian Schools Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 90 reviews. Top