K-12|Private
1,025 students

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)

Village Christian Schools
Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted August 01, 2015
The answer to this question totally epends on the teacher. The good ones are few and far between.

Village Christian Schools 2

Posted August 01, 2015
I was a lifer at Village. My parents were hardworking middle class people who poured their hard earned money into a private education for my sister and I because they thought it was the best thing for us. They sacrificed a lot to send us to this school, but unfortunately, I wish they had not. While I have a lot to say about the school's polictics and lack of diversity (huge issue in my view), my greatest disappointment comes from the total lack of High School education. I was a very bright kid, and relied heavily on the school to prepare me for college as my parents native language is not english. I did great in math because I had support at home, but English was another story. I remember watching movies in High School english class for most of the year and I can hardly remember writing an essay. I hardly ever had homework, which i loved at the time, but when I entered Jr college (because I had absolutely NO guidance from the school on entering a 4 year) I was completely lost on how to write! I had to take many extra circular tutoring lessons to simply write an "English 101" essay. In my view, this is completely unacceptable. While I think the school is good for primary and maybe even elementary, they totally fail from an academic standpoint for middle school and high school. Too much emphasis on religion and not enough on education. I ended up attending a great college as a transfer student and I credit that to my parents and also to the hard work I did to transfer. I still struggled to write there, however, and have also struggled in my career because the foundation I received from Village Christian was completely non existent. If you are looking for a Bible Study , then this is a great option for your children. However, if you want them to be academically prepared, I would think twice before sending them here.

Posted May 15, 2015
Love this school. Our child was a high school transfer. The Harvard educated head of school is a remarkably involved and caring administrator. The freshman teaching staff has been top-notch. Our child loves her biology teacher as if he were a member of our family. The athletics are top-notch, yet athletic department leadership is ethical in ways that are not always seen at other private schools. We truly feel this is a place where our daughter is cared for and nurtured. We were not raised in religious households, but we are happy that our daughter can be introduced to religion in such a caring and loving environment. The village staff is unapologetic about their beliefs, but they do not proselytize. Rather, they teach and then let the children form their own beliefs. Strongly encourage people of all religions to give this gem of a school a shot. We couldn't be happier.

Village Christian Schools 3

Posted October 20, 2014
As a student in high school who has been at Village for more than ten years now, I can understand the good and bad parts of Village. The good is that the teachers do care for you and if you need help or to simply talk, they have no problem taking time out of their day to make sure you are ok. Many of the students will go out of their way to be nice(especially with new students). The bad at Village is that there are several cliques(which you will find everywhere), a slow learning pace(especially in math courses), unqualified teachers, favoritism, a focus on athletics that dominates academics, too much gossip and drama, and I, find myself dreading Bible class. My faith has diminished due to the strict, old view, one-way curriculum and has also turned away many students from Christianity. Theres only one right answer in Bible classes, which would be whatever the teacher thinks is correct. In athletics, but most of the programs are not interested in developing the young players into superior players. The school has varsity level transfers on athletic scholarships that normal students can't tap into. If you belong in the Village Family, you will love it, if not, you'll want to leave.

Village Christian Schools 4

Posted July 12, 2013
I went to Village Christian High School after leaving its rival, Los Angeles Baptist (now Heritage Christian).The students can be bothersome at times because although friendly, they all seem obsessed with doing drugs, etc. just to make sure that people don't seem them as christian. Seriously, I'm an atheist and I go to this school and it's not necessary to mess up your life to prove you're not christian. For teachers, the ones I had were wonderful. They treated students as individuals and adults and made you feel like they wanted you to get a good grade. If you read any negative students reviews about the teachers, it is probably the slacker students who want to complain and don't realize how much they have because I have gone to four high schools in a year and by far, village is the best in terms of teacher-students relationships. However, for me the learning pace was slow in almost all my classes and I wish they hurried up in the material. Guidance counselors aren't my favorite because they seem obsessed with making you go to college no matter what job you are getting into (whether it requires college or not). Overall, a good school in general and much better than Heritage.

Posted March 13, 2013
Love this school! I am currently a student in high school and it is my very first year at VCS. I gotta say that I am very impressed with the academics, students, and the new staff. They've hired a new high school principle. He may be strict but he is still the kind of person who loves teenagers and kids. The bad reviews down below are completely INACCURATE, how could you hate this school? At my old school, I did not have any friends... none. But once I came here, I have made so many friends and I don't feel lonely or forgotten anymore. This school has really changed my life spiritually and emotionally. Probably the best part of this school is the Bible classes. There, you will get to interact with others classmates, have small prayer groups, discuss different subjects, and just spread the Word through VCServes. I am so grateful that my parents chose this school for me. I would highly recommend this school, no doubt about it.

Village Christian Schools 2

Posted May 30, 2012
Middle school was great for my child. High school is not as great. The new head of schools and the new high school principal are wonderful. WONDERFUL. I can't say enough marvelous things about Konjoyan, Osgood, and Nare. The PTF are a great group of parents also, but there is so little involvement from very many parents that the PTF is pretty much non-existent except for the same 10 or 15 parents who show up to everything. I cannot comment on elementary school as my child started in middle school. Middle school was wonderful for my child. Curriculum seemed to rival that of the old public school (which had an API of 990+) and the teachers all seemed competent and knowledgeable. Not sure how many were actually credentialed though. High school is poor. Scheduling is tough, AP classes hard to obtain due to small teaching staff, regular classes are not challenging and seem to be sub-par. Curriculum seems lower than the Glendale and Burbank public levels. Kids wander the campus during class times, teachers seem to let the students walk all over them, and don't reprimand kids very often. Not all teachers are credentialed. Christianity takes priority over academics.

Posted May 06, 2012
I cannot express in words how fantastic Village Christian has been so far for our two children (currently in 5th grade and 2nd grade). Both children started at VCS in Kindergarten and are likely to be "lifers". As of now (May 2012), we are in the second academic year under the leadership of our fantastic, Harvard-educated Head of School, who's vision, energy, experience, and intelligence have re-invigorated the teachers, support staff, parents, and students. He is visible at virtually every school event and exemplifies excellence on a daily basis. Our children are excelling in both academics and the arts. The daily workload is heavy (lots of homework and projects, especially in 5th grade), but our kids accept the challenge and invite more. We've had amazing teachers at VCS each and every year. Not one has been anything less than excellent, and our children's two current teachers are outstanding. I highly recommend Village Christian as a great value and certainly a safe, challenging, and rewarding alternative to the local LAUSD government schools. Please visit VCS and see for yourself what a great place it has become.

Posted March 01, 2011
We have 2 children at VCS, a 6th grader and a 2nd grader. We have been at Village since Kindergarten and have seen the school go through some a few transitions. Recently the school has been given a new breath of life with our new Head of Schools. This has brought about positive and necessary changes that are keeping Village an excellent choice for our children's education. We know 99% of our kids day is about what happens in the classroom and in consideration of our 7 years at VCS i can honestly praise the teachers...highly. They are dedicated, qualified and truly love what they do and the children they work with. The family support is strong. Parents and teachers work together as a team; at any point I know that i can walk into a classroom and see children learning instead of time being wasted on disciplinary problems. VCS has so much to offer from excellent education, fine arts, athletics and drama to life long friendships and teachers who really care. My kids are happy and so are we. I invite anyone to come visit and you will see it is a special place helping to raise responsible, college bound, respectful, well-rounded kids.

Posted February 07, 2011
We have been a VCS for the last seven years, and we have two children attending the school. As of August 2010, we have a new Head of School who has made everything that may have been wrong with the school right again & all the things we love about the school even better. He has built an amazing new staff & has reinvigorated our teaching faculty. I have fallen back "in-love" with this school! My kids consider the school their home away from home & have flourished in the loving, attentive environment that VCS gives. The parent involvement is at an all time high... you can't come on to campus without seeing a parent either having breakfast / lunch with their child, decorating for our next school function or assisting our teachers in some way. Our children are receiving the education they deserve along with all the additional extracurricular activities that go along with that... from sports to the arts... VCS has it all!

Village Christian Schools
8930 Village Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  91352
Last modified Village Christian Schools is a Private school that serves grades K-12