No rating

Ribet Academy College Preparatory

Private | PK-12 | 500 students

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $339,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,330.

Posted December 4, 2010

Ribet has a very low standard for student behavior. The kids are allowed to use foul language in front of little kids and adults and it is completely tolerated. Kids bully each other and the school looks the other way. The middle and high school girls come to school with super high heels or extremely sexy outfits and nothing happens to them. What is worse is that Ribet is a pre-k to 12th grade school. The small children look up to the bigger kids and view them as role models and want to emulate them. Do we send our kids to a private school so they can be exposed to things years before they are ready?

Posted November 29, 2010

I graduated from Ribet last year. I cannot say I got the best education. Most teachers at Ribet don t have their credential and don t know how to teach. Some of the teachers just hand out packets and expect the kids to learn the material on their own. One of the darlings of the administration spent his time yelling and mistreating the kids. We complained about him but nothing was done. I don t know how it is for the other grades, but the high school at Ribet is mediocre.

Posted May 26, 2010

Academic but not old school. The faculty is AMAZING. There is daily yoga in Pre-K and K! Grass, a garden, a playground, a track, a football field, tennis courts, a gym, a marine biology lab, a moot court and a theater. There is choir, orchestra, and band. Art is HUGE at Rib t. Walls are covered in students' works. A darkroom, potters' wheels, and a kiln. Champion debate teams for both middle and high school. The most decorated school in the history of The LA Science Fair. "Science Teacher of the Year" in CA. The basketball team won their division and went to state. One player won the 2010 John R. Wooden Award. 1st grade: 1 teacher to 12 kids. 100% of the students go to college. USC, UCLA, Notre Dame, Stanford, Berkely and Harvard. Very convenient for people in Silver Lake, Los Feliz, Echo Park, Atwater, Mt. Washington, and Eagle Rock. My daughter (1st Grade) comes home filthy every day and wants to go to school every morning.

Posted April 13, 2010

We appreciate what Ribet has done for our daughter. We feel she learned many good lessons there, made wonderful friends and accounting works with us through the hard times. We are very thankful for such treatment and will always refer Ribet to friends, because we want them to feel good about their child education and emotional development as we do.

Posted April 3, 2010

I currently have three boys that attend Ribet Academy and have been very pleased with the school. When we looked at schools, we looked at both the academics and the surrounding elements that would influence our children's lives. Children are very susceptible to outside influence at a young age so we are very cautious of their surroundings. We feel that Ribet offers an excellent academic program that really challenges our children. The courses our children take are impressive compared to other schools in the area. The teachers encourage learning and it shows through our children as they are always eager to learn new things. Homework is a pleasure and not a chore for them because they enjoy learning. I attribute this behavior to their teachers who instill the old adage 'Give them fish, they eat for a day. Teach them how to fish, they eat for a lifetime.' Again, the academic choices are outstanding and they encourage extracurricular activates so that each student is a well rounded individual. In addition, the students here respect each other and treat each other in a way that nurtures friendship and camaraderie. This is an quality that can never be found in public schools as private schools offer a more sheltered environment in which students have similar goals and aspirations. These are the attributes that sets Ribet Academy separate from other schools and why we have chosen to send our children to this fine institution.

Posted April 1, 2010

I have 2 children who have been going to Ribet since Pre-k. Since they are twins they are in different elementary classrooms. The teachers always plan together and there is a consistency and creativity in the curriculum. I also like the fact that I don t have to drive my kids somewhere else for enrichment classes. There is choir, instrumental music, computer, drama, Spanish, dance, pep squad, running club and swim team. So there is something for each of my kids. The teachers are very good at communicating with us and there is a wonderful sense of community. I am glad I found out about Ribet.

Posted April 1, 2010

My son has graduated from Ribet Academy and in the six years that he attended he has developed into a well rounded young man. He is college bound now and I have no fears about his future. I know that the work ethic that was instilled not only in the home, but reinforced at Ribet will help him to continue to become a success in his adult life

Posted March 31, 2010

I wish to honor the Ribet teachers for their remarkable work in educating, and guiding my child. I am filled with emotion because soon, my son will be graduating, going to college, earn a degree, and will no longer physically be a part of the incredible Ribet family. My heart is heavy because a separation will occur but it is also very happy because Ribet made it possible for my son to achieve the maximum in great grades and in acquiring life skills to continue to succeed. I wish to thank the teachers from the bottom of my heart for their selflessness, their untiring commitment to teach with excellence, and for being incomparable role-models. Without Ribet we never would have experienced a top-notch, first-class, exceptionally magnificent academic environment of this level in California. I believe that Ribet Academy was the best thing that could have ever happened to my son.

Posted March 24, 2010

The saying 'the fish rots from the head' is unfortunately the perfect analogy for this school. It used to be great, really really great. Now it's not even casting a shadow of its former self. There's a galling dearth of leadership to truly galvanise all stakeholders (staff and parents) along with a petty penny-wise/pound-stupid mentality which has rendered this place merely repetition in motion, without any heart or soul. This squandering of legacy and opportunity is sad, because the teachers there are actually fantastic. They've simply got no support. And parent initiatives are constantly either exploited or ignored.

Posted March 19, 2010

By definition, a so-called college prep school should offer a well-rounded and solid academic curriculum that prepares students for a scholarly life, employ well qualified credentialed teachers, and provide an open-minded and creative learning environment. Ribet Academy offers none of the above. The curriculum is far from college prep level and advanced students are not given the opportunity to grow above and beyond their abilities. The hire and fire attitude of the completely inept school administration leads to a never heard of teacher turn-over and to the hiring of people who have never before stood in a classroom. Finally, the daily school environment is shaped by nepotism, favoritism, and the constant and obvious need to make money out of education. Is this a college prep school?

Posted March 17, 2010

What in the past was the jewel of Northeast L.A. has unfortunately become a poor choice school (unless your child belongs to the inner circle). Turned into a for-profit organization, leadership diversification was lost, some great teachers and loyal family supporters were not backed, programs cut, teacher credentials not uniformly required, adherence to California standards not mandated, rules bent, dropped or created as needed. Welcome parent input is limited to applauding. - Interesting business model.

Posted September 15, 2009

My daughter just started her Ribet experience and she's very happy. They're constanly engaging the little ones to be curious and explore. The teachers are friendly and great with the kids. I catch my Kindergarten singing in French every now and then and she doesn't even realize that she's learning a different language. The building needs a little TLC but hopefully something can be done about that in the coming years. I only wish the parents were a little more friendly and not so snooty!

Posted August 4, 2009

As a parent at Ribet Academy with two children, I feel a sense of safety and security as I drop my kids off in the mornings. I can honestly say they are happy throughout the year consistantly. They have made long lasting friendships and have participated in so many activities like team sports, dance class, and field trips to see a Civil War inactment , along with Astro Camp and a Science Fair winner at the L.A. County Fair, that have developed real self confidence. The changes in this school only make it better and it is too bad some parents just hate change. The teachers are positive and dedicated and the classes are diverse in a wide range of academics, but each always had an element of fun!

Posted August 4, 2009

I have been a teacher at Ribet Academy for 12 years. The best part of this school are the children themselves. They are calm, eager to learn, and ask lots of questions. They are on time, which tells me a lot about the parents, and they always do their homework. They are extremely respectful to me and to each other. I have witnessed many of my students as they mature into high school students who have a real desire to go on to college. My fellow teachers are always smiling, so I know they feel the same about the unique environment we have at Ribet. I recommend this school whole-heartedly.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 4, 2009

Ribet Academy is one stop shopping. We started our sons in Kindergarden and now they are in High School. I have seem their confindence in Math and Writing change dramatically in the last three years. They have finally, fallen in love with reading and have a variety of interests in Science and Literature. They have both made quality friends at this school and so have I. Some parents have had a hard time with some changes the school has made, but every successful corporation makes changes, so why should Ribet be any different. I feel very blessed to be a parent at theis school.

Posted May 27, 2009

I am a parent of a child in elementary school that has been going to Ribet for 3 years. In that time, I have seen the quality of the school decline drastically. Teachers do not communicate with parents effectiveley as you would think would be the case in a private school where the tuition is not cheap. The school has become more obsessed with the almighty dollar, than the students education in my opinion. The new owner Mr. Dauzat, has no idea what he is doing, or how to run a school properly. The school is run down badly. Suffice it to say, I am very disappointed in the Administration at this school and would not recommend it. There are better schools for the money in my opinion.

Posted April 20, 2009

Let me give you a student's perspective. I've been attending Ribet for over a decade and I can honestly say this school gives its students an advantage because there is no limit to how much your child can learn or experience here. Sure, Ribet has definitely gone downhill in the last few years but I'm positive that the school's new management will return it to its former glory. Lastly, those of you who complain that the school has limited resources, I can assure you that you have not taken the full advantage (here, I purposefully use the same word again) this school offers. I myself have taken over 10 APs, maintained a 4.4 cumulative GPA, participated in two varsity sports, committed to the top public university in the country, and procured lasting relationships with my friends and teachers that I will take on for the rest of my life.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 21, 2008

Following up on a previous post, Ribet Academy is college prep and that is exactly what it does- prepare your child for college. If your child is an achiever, Ribet will give him/her all they need to succeed. Given a second chance, I would not have sent my daughter anywhere else. It is because of Ribet, and Mr. Dailey and Mr. Miller in particular, that she is now enrolled in the top university in California and the country (and doing very well). Thank you Ribet!

Posted May 2, 2008

I have to disagree with the previous post. Ribet works very hard to continue their programs to keep underprivileged kids in this school. The new headmaster is a good person. The non-profit base for the school, REF, is also working on scholarship programs. The school has a problem with (some) parents that want to give nothing in return for their child's education. Not money, no volunteering, nothing. And some of these kids are not even doing well in school. Education costs money even if you are in a public school. We pay for public school out of our income taxes and property taxes. And that is the biggest waste of dollar I can think of. Ribet has a program for underprivileged kids. You can volunteer services, you can host an exchange student, etc. You also must have good grades. So I have to disagree. Parental involvement should also be a requirement.

Posted May 2, 2008

Ribet is an excellent school. There are some people that will criticize the school that do not step up to the plate to be involved with improving things they are not happy with. The new owner is very receptive to implementing changes requested by parents. As a whole, Ribet offers a well adjusted whole-child curriculum. My children are happy, love their school and are doing far more than they would in public school. That is all the reassurance I need. Can't wait for the British Invasion music program this year!

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school