Los Angeles, CA
After care: No

Posted March 30, 2015
While my Freshman vocalist, for the first time ever, is saying that he enjoys school (because of the arts ), this is also the first time he has mostly all "F's" in academic areas. It is imperative that LACHSA improves instruction for students will special needs and who are English Language Learners (ELL's). If they intend to serve more students of color and varying demographics, their level of instruction and support needs to be re-imagined. I'm thankful for what LACHSA aims to do for our creative and talented kids, but I sincerely worry that at this time, they do not consistently demonstrate the ability to facilitate the academic instruction that students with special needs and who are ELL's need and deserve. LACHSA Parent/Educator

L.A. County High School For The Arts 1

Posted March 26, 2015
Not impressed with the dance department. So far this school year has been a disappointment. There was so much hoopla over the dance department and the audition. My child does well in dance because my child attends 18 hours of dance a week outside of LACHSA. Don't see how the dance program is helping and we probably won't return next year. It's very basic. The good dancers came into the school being good and do not get better unless they are training outside of LACHSA. The students in need of improvement are not nurtured from what my child tells me.

L.A. County High School For The Arts 1

Posted March 13, 2015
Budget cut backs, sub-par academic instruction and the arts program is not impressive at all, especially the dance program. Students graduating from this school ARE NOT being prepared to soar in their area of study; i.e.; Dance, Theater, etc., Considering taking my child out of the school but the delimna is where to go. Exploring options because my student as well as an unacceptable amount of other students are NOT happy and NOT succeeding!

Posted February 05, 2015
The student body is not very close or particularly enthusiastic for the school. Apparently very few people are bothering to buy Grad Night tickets this year (meaning it may be cancelled), and Prom is on shaky ground. Winter Formal, which I have heard was quite popular 5-10 years ago, ceased existing in my sophomore year because people stopped buying tickets. There are still plenty of wacky and artistic kids that go here, but there has been an obvious decrease in the emphasis and passion for art that my friends and I saw and enjoyed our freshman year. I remember when I took a tour of the school in 2011, my group was lead through a plethora of arts classes in the afternoon. Now, with myself leading tours this year, we only show the academic classes and a scattering of empty arts classrooms. Many of the arts teachers are leaving, and I have heard rumors that many freshmen in the theatre department have already decided that they will not be returning next year. However, this is only my opinion. I am sure there are students here who are completely fine with LACHSA. However, as a senior who has spoken with many others in my class, it is clear to us that the culture has changed.

Posted December 18, 2014
From the student perspective, there are tremendous demands on their time and its very rare that they may have a free day during the semester. Between a fair amount of homework and projects from visual arts classes, it looks and feels like college. In this respect, LACHSA is not for everyone and thus your child had better be pretty committed to their art of choice. Many students believe academics are secondary compared to their art pursuit. In terms of teacher quality for academics, a majority of the teachers are either mediocre to poor. Most appear not to want to teach and are just putting in their time and pushing worksheets as busy work rather than really engaging the students. To date, I've only seen 2 teachers who truly are committed to the students and their craft (D.T. for math, S.D. for science). As appears with most LA schools, the administration doesn't really encourage or want parent interaction and are pretty much operating by policies and procedures and rules rather than looking at individual situations. Think very, very carefully before sending your child here. If I had to do this experience over again, likely I would have moved to orange county.

Posted October 22, 2014
This low rating is only because I am a student in the (flawed) Theatre Department and have dealt with the subpar academics, especially in math. This year LACHSA decided they not able to move classes around for a large fraction of Seniors wanting to take a language and math, so me and many other students were forced to not take math or a language class this year because it was simply not provided. The Senior English teacher was not hired until halfway through the first semester, so my class had to deal with a wide range of substitutes, none of which could teach. As for the Theatre Department, it is hardly fair and opportunities to perform are slim if you do not have the "right look" or are not close with the teacher or department head. This is understandable considering the department is preparing theatre students for the real, professional world, but valuing looks or connections over talent is something almost too commonly seen, especially when casting time for shows comes around. I know many students who do not enjoy theatre any more because of their experiences at LACHSA.

L.A. County High School For The Arts 5

Posted September 14, 2014
Great school! Pros: Strong visual arts program Great for college portfolios Has A.P. classes A lot of like-minds Academic teachers who (for the most part) understand their artistic pupils. Very friendly and nourishing environment Very edgy/stylish architecture Cons: Would love to see better math teachers who TEACH Too many theater kids The college doesn't like us very much (they blame everything on us) Hallways = worse than LA traffic

L.A. County High School For The Arts 4

Posted March 02, 2014
Our daughter loves the visual arts program. The teachers go out of their way to provide the support she needs in both academics and the arts. There is always something exciting going on as the team draws in the world for the students.

L.A. County High School For The Arts 5

Posted December 17, 2013
This school is a life saver. The academics are supremely flawed, but without the training, love, friendship, and joy I've gotten from this school, I probably would be dead right now.

L.A. County High School For The Arts 3

Posted September 12, 2013
Looking at it from a very objective point of view, LACHSA is a school that is in development. The school itself likes to be liberal and accepting of which it is, but some of its ideas are half-accomplished or are not executed properly. Subtle things, such as not allowing the kids to use the elevators or the exits are not good security measures since they use them anyways because the hallways are so crowded and though new and better teachers have come, some teachers that do not match up to proper standards cannot be rid of because of their seniority. Of course, some ideas are well executed, with many of the teachers having an artistic or interesting background and able to support and socialize with the students. The art classes are generally well-liked by the students and does give an experience that most high schools do not have the capability of doing. With its idealogy and motivation, LACHSA, with improvement, can reach new heights.

L.A. County High School For The Arts
5151 State University Drive, Los Angeles, CA  90032
Last modified L.A. County High School For The Arts is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
L.A. County High School For The Arts Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 64 reviews. Top