Los Angeles, CA

St. Paul The Apostle 3

Posted August 06, 2014
The school is strong in academics. The community is not warm or welcoming. Bullying is a huge problem at the school especially by the girls. The girls are mean and their moms are even meaner. . Sad that a Catholic school allows bullying to happen. They tried to implement an anti-bullying program but it did not do any good. The teachers are nice but some of the people who work directly with the children are so rigid and hard to deal with. Their is no diversity at the school. Many wealthy parents who think they run the school. We are glad to be out of there.

St. Paul The Apostle 4

Posted May 24, 2014
Very good academically--I wrote the review above where I said "academics seem good". That was 3 or 4 years ago. Now I would say it is very good academically. Some students transfered in from good public schools (api 900) and found St Paul's harder. I am impressed at what my daughter is learning-- complex numbers and algebra in 6th grade. As for my comments about the parents social class-- Our daughter likes the school. She has enough friends, though it took a couple of years. It depends on what you are like- we (the parents) are shy and not the best at making friends ourselves. For some people even though not rich it would be fine. And a bunch of parents are friendly towards me. I don't know anyone well but I haven't made a big effort either. As for the review "This is a very old fashion traditional catholic school", I think it is exagerrated though partly true. This is not a Catholic school from the 50s (probably nowhere is, since almost none of the teachers are nuns). The very long serving and elderly principal is retiring this year (2014) and changes may be in store.

St. Paul The Apostle 3

Posted April 04, 2014
This is a very old fashion traditional catholic school in many ways. Many legacy families who are happy to keep things as they were back when they were in this very school treasure the past and keep in alive for better and worse. There is still coloring inside the lines, and all the kids art projects look basically the same. Not a lot of space for the individual to spread his or her wings and fly. Behavior cards (green yellow orange red etc) used, tardies still punished severely with children being held out of class with the nun/principal even if their parents were the ones who got them there late--lets face it, kids don't walk to school and make themselves late these days. Lots of emphasis on tradition, but not enough on progression. Remains to be seen if culture change will come with the updates in the campus itself. Handwriting and coloring inside the lines may not be the best foundation for life in the 21 century for this generation. Parent involvement great in fundraising etc, but the school is has cliques, bullies, and there is a clear pecking order here amongst the parents, and well as with the administration.

Posted April 30, 2011
This school gave me the inspiration and educational foundation that has helped me become a successful doctor. It is an excellent school that guarantees your child's success.

Posted April 29, 2011
This is an amazing school with a thorough academic program and a excellent teachers. It has a large amount of resources and a great array of associated programs. I have known many students at this school that have become doctors, lawyers, PhDs, or have achieved other great successes. This school will help your child on the road to greatness.

Posted March 14, 2011
this school has provided my son and daughter with great opportunities for success. The wonderful education has given my chilren the choice of high schools, both private and catholic as they scored in the 90th percentile on their entrance exams. the athletic programs are very competative, and CYO playoffs are a regular occurence in football, and girls volleyball, winning occasional championships. the teachers are very caring and the principal, sister stella, is a saint. The school is populated with upper and upper middle class families with not a snob in sight. my income is modest and i was helped when money was short. Thank you God for this wonderful place.

St. Paul The Apostle 1

Posted February 24, 2011
I was once a student at this horrible school. I was bullied every single day by most of the class and some older students. My mother and I complained to the teachers and the principal. No one helped us. I finally had to leave the school, because I couldn't take it anymore. The teachers did not do their job correctly. They did not seem interested in teaching, but more in socializing amongst themselves. Anybody who goes there is making a huge mistake. They are getting a poor education, possibly worse than a public school and are risking being bullied and a major loss of self esteem. Don't go there. Beware!

Posted April 20, 2010
St. Paul the Apostle is a great school. All of my children have now graduated. The best part about the school is the community of families. The parents are very active. There are many great activities at the school, like a 3 day festival and a weekend campout. The environment is safe and a feeling of Christian love permeates throughout. You will not find a better Catholic education in Los Angeles.

Posted February 26, 2010
The school is not great.They have a history of bad behavior and bullies. A lots of rich families that 'run' the school. No good Art program. PE once a week. Kids in upper grades don't have lockers, except 7 th grade. Math program is weak. Recommendations for HS are not based in students performances.Very disappointed

Posted October 14, 2009
St. Paul the Apostle is a wonderful school with so much to offer. My daughter had a learning disability that was individually addressed by the prinicipal and teachers, and as a result she was reading at college level by 8th grade. We were not among the wealthy parents, but rather recieved annual financial aid. My daughter had to home school in high school after her father died, and the excellent education she received at St. Pauls allowed her to pass the California High School Proficiency Exam at 16 - what a testament to the school!

St. Paul The Apostle