Los Angeles, CA

Posted April 17, 2014
This is a wonderful place to learn. A nice mix of people, a bit Hollywood with a few famous actors but overall a low key vibe. Worth touring and considering.

Posted January 22, 2014
I have had 2 children at Village School since K, now in upper grades. A great fit for them. Satisfying because they are completely different. They start each year challenged just enough by the work but not deterred, they finish the year having made huge progress. I attribute this to the great relationships they have with their teachers: they are really comfortable in the classroom and teachers put the effort into finding them the best learning tools. Both thriving socially and any social issues have been resolved either through the kids working it out themselves; in community circles; asking for teacher support or me checking in constructively and calmly with teachers. They have had different teachers from each other almost every year who consistently get the best out of them. Academically my kids are thriving. Dealing with administration on one 'complaint' issue, we had a frank and constructive discussion and we came up with a solution together. My kids are caring, excited to go to school each day and are thriving academically. I will write another review when my kids are in middle school and can speak about that aspect.

Posted January 16, 2014
My children have attended Village School since 2008, and we have been extremely happy with the school from the start. The warm environment, caring teachers, helpful staff, and fantastic head of school all contribute to a wonderful elementary school experience. We feel very fortunate to have found Village School.

Posted January 05, 2014
Having recently moved from SW Florida to West LA, we studied each private school thoroughly. My wife and I found Village to be the perfect fit. This is our second year at Village and we have been impressed with the academics as well as the nurturing staff and passionate teachers. Village has the perfect balance of traditional academics and social culture for our son. Teachers are incredibly caring and truly prepare our children in becoming successful, independent, and respectful big thinkers. I consider Village School a Gem in West LA.

Posted November 26, 2013
I consider us very fortunate to be a Village School family. The school provides a warm and loving environment that walks the line brilliantly between academic/traditional and nurturing/progressive. The teachers are excellent and passionate about their jobs and the kids, and we have found over the years that the staff and administration care deeply about the school and the community. Our eldest child is a graduate of Village and had several top choices for secondary schools, and we did nothing to work the strings politically in the application process. Anyone doubting placement only need look at the last few years-- the kids did extremely well. The parent body on the whole is a much nicer slice of LA than most other private schools in this city! That said, there will always be a griper in the bunch so I urge and welcome prospective parents to come see for yourselves that Village School has earned its reputation as a fantastic and well respected Los Angeles elementary school.

Posted October 17, 2013
I am a parent of 2 children at Village School and 1 child who has graduated. I came to this site because another parent was shocked at what was written. I would say to anyone who is reading this to PLEASE disregard these bad reviews. They have obviously been written by one or two very unhappy parents. My child graduated got into every school she applied to and is making straight A's at one of these schools. She was COMPLETELY prepared for the challenges of middle school, both academically and socially. My other 2 children love Village, have great teachers, and good friends. I don't know what else can be asked of a school? I don't think any school is perfect for every family or every child. And I don't think the administration will make 100% of the parent body happy 100% of the time. From what I've seen, parents who are chronically unhappy usually have "problem" children, or are generally unhappy people. If you are looking for a school with a family atmosphere, with young, smart, communicative faculty and staff, you should definitely disregard these negative reviews and visit Village School.

Posted October 16, 2013
I am a 4th year Village School parent of 3 very different kids who all are enjoying Village School. The combination of a terrific class room education, character development, parent education seminars all make Village a special community. We feel grateful to have found the perfect school for us.

Posted August 14, 2013
There was a time when Village School was considered one of the "better" schools in the area. The current generation of school management has driven the school down to being one of the worse schools on the westside. Don't waste your time or money there are so many other options in the area. Your kids are better off at one of the local public schools.

Posted June 05, 2013
We switched our child half way through the school and just wish people had been honest about their experiences there before we'd signed on the dotted line. Our experience at Village matched many of the others here - an overrated school, an outdated curriculum, a patchy teaching body at best (although Mr Johnson is fabulous) and, despite saying they exist to help each child reach their true potential, no differentiation in curriculum at either end of the academic spectrum. Our child was bored and unchallenged. They had to be tutored by their next school as they were so far behind. We thought we'd done our due diligence, but were wrong - choose another school that will truly challenge, nuture and care for your child, not Village.

Posted April 30, 2012
I'm glad to see I'm not the only parent who made the mistake of buying into the Village School hype. The head of school and most of the teachers are unimpressive and all they care about is money and their public image. Do not put your kids in Village School, it's a joke!

Village School, Inc.