Posted January 07, 2014
Great school with hard working staff that is committed to their KIPPsters. They go above and beyond to make sure their students get to and through college.

Posted February 24, 2013
KIPP Academy of opportunity has an excellent curriculum. I have a 5th grader that has learned so much in such a small amount of time. My daughter transferred out of Bennett Kew School in Inglewood with all A's. She says she felt like she didn't know anything when she arrived at KIPP. She has different teachers for every subject. They change classes like high school students. I love the teachers! They are beautiful, professional & young with fresh ideas & learning techniques. Very diverse staff. My daughter is excited every day and she teaches me what she has learned. She never wants to leave when I pick her up. They learn Science, History, Math, English, Art, PE. They have after school program for homework/dance/acting/karate. (according to grade) Reading Program rocks! The school shares the building with YMCA. You enter on 99th Street/Vermont. Look for the banner at the side entrance. It is a closed campus. Enrollment is easy and I am well informed about my child's progress. They wear uniforms and are strict so order the correct uniform shirts/jackets/pants. NO EXCEPTIONS! I love the school because I see big improvements in my daughter's passion for learning.

KIPP Academy Of Opportunity 1

Posted February 11, 2013
In terms of the reading level for KIPP students, have them read aloud and see what you discover.

KIPP Academy Of Opportunity 4

Posted February 07, 2013
I am very pleased with KAO. They push for parent involvement to help students stay on track at home. The staff is strict when it comes to conduct which helps provide a positive learning environment for the students. KAO also teaches the students responsibility through accountability. The entire staff is very accessible for any questions I may have. I am well informed about school events and the progress of my child.

Posted February 07, 2013
to me KIPP ACADEMY is the best school, my experience is wonderful, best teachers, high academic level, the communication between school and parents is very good. my son is very happy and i do to. i will recommend to my friends and family like the one of the top schools in L.A.

Posted August 21, 2012
I too disagree with the parent below. Mrs. Patel is doing a WONDERFUL job, particularly under the circumstances. When KIPP made the terrible mistake of installing Mrs. Greene, probably the most incompetent school leader one could put in a school, Mrs. Patel had to not only pick up the pieces, but rebuild the school. And the results are clear: KIPP KAO has an 824 API, the highest it has ever received. And to counter what this parent has said about 7th graders reading at 4th grade level, that's simply not true. Eighty percent of the students tested via the CST are at proficient or advanced. THIS is the KIPP that I brought my child to back in the 5th grade. And it's due to the hard work of Mrs. Patel and the teachers on staff.

Posted August 21, 2012
TO ALL OF THE HATERS! KIPP! OR KAO! IS NOT THE BEST! BUT IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER SCHOOL YOU HATERS NEED TOO SEND YOUR LAZY KIDS! OR IT JUST MIGHT BE LAZY PARENTS!

KIPP Academy Of Opportunity 4

Posted August 17, 2012
I totally disagree with the postings below, but maybe that's because I understand what it takes to manage an organization. From a parent perspective, I've found KAO to be a school that continues to grow through a transition it didnt anticipate but never at the expense of the students. Mrs. Patel has always been a compassionate listener who does right by students AND teachers. She's just willing to stand up for what's right, which may be hard for some people to handle. The thing is that the work that this school is trying to do is a LOT harder than people from the outside may think it is.

KIPP Academy Of Opportunity 2

Posted June 25, 2012
I have to agree with the last parent. I NEVER share my thought on forums such as this but I felt compelled after reading what the last parent had to say. I believe I know the social studies teacher that was let go. This is the second teacher Mrs. Patel let go of that was such a valuble asset. This last teacher had such a heart for the kids, and I could see the growth in my childs abilities so much so I found it necessary to thank him. I just found out he will not be returning and I cannot believe they would let him go. No other teacher has been able to connect with both teacher AND student the way he did. I really do not care for Mrs. Patel and the type of decisions shes making in terms of teachers. She should not have that much power, and Ms. Woodyard is fake and a lier.

KIPP Academy Of Opportunity 1

Posted June 25, 2012
This school is smoke and mirrors.The teacher turn over is UNBELIEVABLE. They hired a caring, compassionate, knowledgeable social studies teacher at the end of 2011 and let him go in June. Patel should not be there neither should the VP. They both do not know what they are doing when it comes to what really works for the school. KAO does not prepare their kids for the real world, in my opinion they are most concerned with status and maintain their rank. Many of the 7th graders are reading at 4th grade reading levels. I really wish they would get rid of the current school leader and assistant school leader and bring back some of the amazing talent that were let go because they did not fit the unrealistic mold they have tried to create. Not to mention the unfair treatment some teachers are subjected to, the teachers who do not go out to happy hour with Patel and the rest of the followers hoping to keep a job. I would send my child to a school that has it together, and does not maintain such a volatile rate of teacher turnover.

KIPP Academy Of Opportunity
7019 South Van Ness Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90047
Last modified KIPP Academy Of Opportunity is a Charter school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
KIPP Academy Of Opportunity Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews.