KIPP Los Angeles College Preparatory School 1

Posted May 04, 2012
Yes this school is superb but a word of advise,if you are planning to enroll you child at this school only enroll if your child is entering 5th grade that is your best chance of getting a spot in this school if its any other grade truthfully it is a big waste of your time. I speak form experience,they only had 3 spots available and I would say about 60-70 students were applying for those spots. The school also fails to tell parents that there is very little space,which is something I would have loved to know.

Posted October 12, 2011
This school has gone far beyond my expectations. My son started there in 5th grade and just this year moved on to high school. It is in fact the best thing I have ever done for him, as a struggling 4th grader who couldn t read at a 4th grade level to now surpassing in most areas of 8th grade achievement and placing well beyond proficient in the States Standardized testing. He is now well prepared to enter high school and has even claimed that his new high school is a bit too easy, considering all that he learned at KIPP. My daughter is now a 5th grader, and is enthusiastically loving it. I have high hopes for her considering she is gifted and every child in this school is treated like they are gifted. They push to exceed and strive for success. I would recommend this school to everyone. I should also add that we are not a low income and we have to drive 12 miles each way, everyday to take our kids to this school, but it is well worth it and it has paid off for every sacrifice we have made.

Posted August 30, 2011
I am a fifth grader at KIPP 10 YEARS OLD and i love it. I know some of my friends at my old school complain about KIPP because of the hours but i think its better to get more in our brains instead of going home at 2:30 and watching T.V..I already get 3s and 4s maybe from all that learning I'll get only A's.It is also good because you don't have to be in the same class the whole day and students don't judge you on what you wear. Every student is treated the same no teacher's pet or anything.The summer school is really helpful to they tell you where you are, where you have to be,and how things are at KIPP.I think this school is awesome because most of the kids who came here is succeeding in life!!!!!!!!

Posted March 14, 2010
This school is amazing it has helped me be accepted in a great private high school on scholarship. They gave me skills which I use today. My friends at times complain about the homework amount at school but it doesn't seem much to me since I got more at KIPP than what I am now given. I loved going to KIPP and wish that I could go back in time and repeat my 8th grade year. The teachers here are amazing that I can easliy talk to them today when I need help. This school has helped me succed. It is hard when you start out but in the end it is worth it getting the oppourtunites you would never have imagined.

Posted February 17, 2010
I will recommend this school to everybody. The teacher's as well as the principal are always involved with the student's in work time and fun times. The staff and everybody involve in this school are the best..

Posted November 16, 2009
This school is really impressive -- if you look at its test scores, it does as well as mostly wealthy schools in the suburbs. My daughter loves being here and has thrived. To the parent who posted on 10/15 - I am sorry to hear about your son. They are strict, but they make it very clear to students what they expect of them and the discipline only comes when the students break those expectations.

KIPP Los Angeles College Preparatory School 0

Posted October 15, 2009
I had to pull my son out of this school. He is a very docile 5th grader and could not endure the strictness of the teachers. He became sick to the point of vomiting every morning to go to school. I wish there had been some way that the teachers or principal could have reached out to him to help him cope. I can't complain about the academics they are excellent and I have been able to see his growth in all subjects. I was able to sit in and observe all of his classrooms one day and yes the teachers are amazing when it comes to their methods of teaching. Nonetheless, my son was not able to cope with the militaristic style of handling behavioral issues. His chance was shot down.

KIPP Los Angeles College Preparatory School 0

Posted December 18, 2008
I am far beyond pleased with the school, staff and its academic curriculum. My daughter has always been a dedicated student, but she has to really apply herself to understand some subjects. Aside from this she is very timid; this has caused her not to always involve herself to the fullest; this school is so close knit she now feels comfortable enough to partake in many events the school offers. Although the homework load is definitely significantly heavy, she doesn t seem to mind because she truly loves this school and her teachers make the subject matter fun and as hands on as possible. Many parents complain of the homework load because they find they need to assist their child or are unable to stay afloat; however, they fail to understand the benefit that is reaped when they consistently review their subjects. In just the few months that she has been attending

Posted July 28, 2008
I am very pleased with this school. My son enjoys it and seems to be growing by leaps and bounds (Academically Speaking). He speaks fondly of his teachers who, I agree, are very personable, approachable and seem energetic. I considered moving my son to another school (Because of the distance) but my son protested! I only have 1 criticism. The school has a rigorous curriculum (I'm fine with that) but sometimes that results in hours of homework... some of which I find Superfluous. As for extra curricular activities... I agree many of them are integrated within the school day. They staff seems to continually search for new ways to motivate the students!

Posted October 15, 2007
I'm seriously in love with this school. I disagree with the person that said it does not offer a lot of extracurricular activities. The KIPP difference is that the activities are actually implemented into the actual class time, thereby cutting back on the need for extracurricular. Having said that, my daughter is also participating in the extracurricular Thespian Club. Here school day curriculum includes P.E., Art, Music, Math, Writing, Reading, Science, and Social Studies. Her teachers are available to us after school via cell phone or email, we have a parents website that keeps us informed as we so desire, the Principal is available to all parents via email and cell phone and responsive. My 5th grader is THRIVING here!

KIPP Los Angeles College Preparatory School
2810 Whittier Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA  90023
Last modified KIPP Los Angeles College Preparatory School is a Charter school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
KIPP Los Angeles College Preparatory School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top