Renaissance Arts Academy

Charter | 6-12

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $408,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,380.

Posted March 24, 2011

I am a current scholar at Ren-Arts and this would be my second year attending this school I feel that this would not be the right school for me I am in 7th grade and i know 9/10th graders in the same class as me. When I was in 6th grade I found myself not understanding the material completely for the fact that this school will move very fast. So, if you feel that you can keep up very well then you can come here if not then you should not. The teachers here sometimes choose favorites in times. One of the main parts of this school is responsibilities for the fact that they dont have a janitor at lunch you must clean your own area and they do not give homework so you must study on you own to fallow your own classes

Posted October 11, 2010

This what school should be! Someone start one for adults! This school truly challenges our young scholars to use their minds! The focus on community is setting us up to address the challenges ahead. Seeing these children grow and blossom is amazing. Reach further, stretch your mind, and your talents! YEA RENARTS!

Posted October 9, 2010

i like the progressive curriculum, the attentiveness of the directors and the adviser's (aka teachers) and their dedication to providing the best education for their scholars (aka students). Scholars are expected to demonstrate dedication and commitment to the performance arts and academics. You won't find the Breakfast Club cliques here, Prom or Homecoming Game Bonfires. It's pure arts and academics. As a result, the school has a 100% graduation rate, the highest API scores among LAUSD middle schools and the second highest among LAUSD high schools. I am grateful that this school exists and that my granddaughter has the opportunity to experience the high level education they provide.

Posted October 9, 2010

Renaissance Arts Academy is keeping music education alive and well in Los Angeles.

Posted September 8, 2010

I'm a second year here at Ren-Arts and absolutely loving it! My teachers are all very helpful and it's hardly ever boring (except fro study period, which could use some work). There is no real social competition, no bullying, and no fights. The staff is strict, but only if you disobey, and if you are ruffian this not the school for you. I find it interesting and the music is cool!

Posted June 22, 2010

I must disagree with some of the recent reviews, especially such remarks as "Jim Jones", and "Soviet". I've chaperoned field trips to Disney Hall and sat on the sidelines of many after school rehearsals and what I see are hundreds of kids experiencing enrichment that they would not receive elsewhere. Some of the top performing kids received their first instrument at Ren Arts and started from scratch, so the comment that the teachers only care about the talented kids is just not true. Regarding Parent Involvement, I just don't know. There is no PTA and I have never been aware of a parent meeting. The few parents I've met agree with me that there could be better communication in regard to events and scheduling. This is my only concern, which is a small price to pay in return for seeing my child perform at Disney Hall and the Hollywood Bowl.

Posted April 21, 2010

The stated mission of RenArts is certainly admirable, and the annual performances are impressive, but there are some pretty questionable pedagogical practices employed here. The director of the school rules the cavernous, one room campus with the assistance of a public address system, Jim Jones-like. Students are routinely rebuked publicly for various infractions and made to sit on a small rug in the middle of the schoolroom. The interior is monochromatically grey and grim, and the pervasive atmosphere is Soviet: students at their tasks look unhappy. Further, the school has embraced a questionable sink-or-swim pedagogical philosophy of autonomous scholarship where kids are more likely to be told to look it up in the book than have their questions meaningfully answered and faculty members seem more interested in their students making multitudinous margin notes in their texts than their actually understanding the material.

Posted April 6, 2010

This school is very hard. They make you study stuff that is unnecessary. ITS IS DIFFICULT and you must purchases items that you will only use once in your life. This school makes you spend alot of money for for dumb music stuff.

Posted April 4, 2010

i attended renarts a few years ago, when I started there i thought this is going to be easy, no problem. As the months went by i realize the teachers only care about a specific group of students who the teacher thought were talented. i was left behind. And now in a public school i realize how much important info i missed in those years at renarts. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS SCHOOL FOR ANYONE!

Posted December 2, 2009

This school is great. I'm a first year here, but now I feel like I've been here forever. There's so much to do and so many things to find out, and none of the classes are boring. I just have to say that I love RenArts, and I plan to stay more than just one year.

Posted November 11, 2009

I have been attending Renaissance Arts Academy since the 8th Grade. When I started I was with one other student as the foundation of the bass program. I helped build that from an independent music study class, to a full fledged focus for students, and now that focus has many talented players. even though I was a music focus, I have been very interested in the dance program, and in my junior year switched majors to Dance, and I love it. It is Fantastic, the dance program really encourages full body and mind development, much like the music program, but I feel that Dancing has really made me happy. As a senior now, I take advantage of our amazing choir, Dance Companies, and creative writing as after-school programs. its an acquired taste but i love it.

Posted October 16, 2009

I am a current student at Ren Arts, and I must say I was quite impressed with how different this school is. I didn't know what to expect on my first day. It was a wonderful surprise to see how amazing this school was. There are no classrooms, but two high-ceiling rooms that resemble oversized attics. The different grades are not separated, and every student does the same assignments. They are very into the music program and almost every child has to choose between a violin, viola, cello, or base. For first-year students you have to stay for an extra hour and a half to practice orchestra, but the rest of the week ends at 3:00. They teach many different things, including Latin and Art History. There is no recess, but dance as PE, which to me is very social. Overal, I find this school amazing.

Posted September 13, 2009

This is an excellent school - great kids, great faculty, great academics, great arts program, and a great fit for my daughter. As a small school, it does not provide everything you would find in a large school, but it is a unique place and we love it.

Posted December 5, 2008

When I moved my son to this charter school I thought I had found the educational Holy Grail. Was I WRONG. This school is ONLY about note-taking as far as I could see. It is also like a prison where there is no sensitivity to the individual at all. I was relieved to find a new school for my son and he is now thriving - it wasn't him! It was Ren Arts that was driving the love of learning from him. Also BAD: No outside area and kids who are not deemed 'talented' are left behind. Thumbs down.

Posted December 5, 2008

I was looking around the area for a charter school for my 12 year old daughter who is very anti social. I read about Ren arts and decided this was going to be the school for her. This is a performing arts school and all the children must wear comfortable clothing (NO JEANS) that allows them to move for dance and be comfortable throughout the day. This is not a school were a parent has to worry about the kids being up to date with the latest fashion or the kids competeing about who is wearing the most expensive clothe, I really enjoy listening to my daughter play her viola and all the new friends ahe has made. I love Ren Arts and so does my daughter

Posted October 9, 2008

We as parents have to remember that this is a school of choice and we choose to have our children go to Renarts. If you child likes the school he/she will excell if your child doesn't like it hw/she will fail..You and your child have to be committed to practice and you will prosper...I'm sorry that some parents feel that this school was a waste of time for there children. It is only a waste of time if you allow it to be, but in the process don't waste others time by your ignorance..

Posted October 1, 2008

We have seen both the private school structure as well as the public school setting, after reading the postings, what a shame for those that beleive that teaching is only a classroom excersise, remeber it takes a village. Ren Arts is outstanding...

Posted October 1, 2008

My kids use to attended RenArts school, unfortunately it was a disappointment after they transferred to another public High School, come to find out some of their credits are not VALID! The expectations from the teachers are un-real! it smells, the air conditioner is never on, the heater is never on! ohhhh..,but they are good at asking for our donations! Why!! if they don t even clean the place, air & heater is never on! Be Careful and inquire if once the kids transfers to another school the credits would be valid and acceptable! Big Disappointment!! I regret it so much!

Posted September 30, 2008

Rigorous ascademic program which prepares kids for college. Great music program that gives the students ample opportunity for performance. Discipline, for even the most minor indiscretions, borders on cruel and arbitrary. Many students break under the pressure of this type of discipline.

Posted June 21, 2008

At first my kids were leary about going to RenArts. There are few social events and no area to be outside. I wanted a safe environment for my kids that prepared them for college and life. I got exactly what I wanted. I do not think you can go into any other school in LA that prepares a child better for college and teaches them a good work ethic. Much of the materials covered are college level. I am impressed with the teaching. I am impressed with the material. I am impressed with how much the children have learned and how they did not notice. I am impressed with the faculty. I am impressed in how much calmer the children are and how they can focus on their work better. I saw that other parents criticized the unorthodox system at RenArts. I believe the RenArts system works and it rocks.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

Females87%

Economically disadvantaged86%
Students with no reported disability93%
Fluent-English proficient and English only90%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

All Students98%

• P. Candaux
Fax number
  • (323) 259-5718

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now