No rating

Le Lycee Francais De Los Angeles

Private | K-1 | 116 students

Student diversity

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $699,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,860.

Posted March 7, 2014

We are an American and French couple. We had some guests for dinner last night, visiting from France and considering a move here with young kids. They asked us how we like the Lycee and I said...ask our son and the response was "I love it". A love of learning at 6 and we couldn't be happier. We'll be moving on to the Overland campus next year and will do our best to be highly involved with the new school. I hope to be able to continue to post excellent reviews.

Posted July 29, 2011

As private schools go in Los Angeles, we found the Lycee to be "the most bang for your buck!" The school provides the highest quality education monitored by both America's WASC and France's Ministry of Education. It is a rigorous academic program which may not be suited for every child. There is a huge emphasis on the arts and many physical activities. We are pleased to be giving our child the gift of being multilingual in a secure and nurturing environment. We hope other parents will discover this gem of a school!

Posted July 18, 2011

Le Lycee Francais de Los Angeles has a lot of work to do to improve its standard.They are solely going off their past reputation and the celebrities who have attended. Very disappointing. Advice : Read your contract's fine prints. There are some unexpected hidden fees.

Posted July 17, 2011

I'm french and I am pulling my son out of this school. High price for an unqualified staff. Kids are all different but are expected to fit in one box. No sense of community.

Posted June 26, 2011

Our 6 year old has only had fantastic experiences at the Lycee. The school work is rigorous but the students all seem to excell. The big bonus is the class sizes are small (12 students/class) and the teachers are very involved.

Posted June 26, 2011

Our daughter loves going to school every day. Actually, I have a difficult time picking her up at the end of each day. She wants to participate in all the extracurricular activities and summer programs just to extend her time at the Lycee. The Lycee provides a top notch education, with exceptional teachers/staff and the most culturally diverse student body of all the Los Angeles private schools. We are American and do not speak French, ...but our daughter reads and writes fluently in French. We are in love with the school!!!

Posted February 27, 2011

Le Lycee has given a lot of effort for the past two years to meet the CA and FR requirements as well as the parents requests. Still on-going process but it seems going the good path ...

Posted August 16, 2010

Page 1 of 12 Next page of Le Lycee Francais de los Angeles Parent Reviews 5 out of 5 stars Posted today For anyone who has doubts that grads from Le Lycee can attend a good American university, attend gradation. In 2010 the three valedictorians were all women, all fluent in four languages, none of them native French speakers. One is attending Cornell in engineering, one is going to Cal Berkeley in math, and one is going to Stanford in liberal arts / archeology. How's that for proof of an excellent education - French or American? And by the way, as the working parent of two Lycee students, I love the fact that I send my kids to school and trust them to turn out well educated, well mannered, multi-lingual human beings, and that I am not required nor asked to spend any time micro-managing their classroom time.

Posted May 25, 2010

I'm a parent who's pulling my 5 year old out of this school. My child would be better off in a public school. The school is always right and you're always wrong. My child is very talented and wants to learn. The school is holding him back and wants him to stay in this French box where they keep the kids. Don't dare to criticize the French Governments school system is what you're told when you complain of the lack of education and stimulation. I lost all respect for this school.

Posted May 25, 2010

I'm french and when I moved to LA I wanted my 5 years old son to keep his french. He started at the lycee in kindergarden. After one year, his french instead of getting better has become worse, his education has been inexistent and he even lost his desire to go to school. It is just a very expensive day/care institution considering that the education is far beneath the american public school system. In kindergarden, the children spend their days playing with legos, singing songs and making simple drawings on paper. My son was ready to read and write when he started and after one school year he is still as the same point or even worse! The after school programs at least for what we took for him are handled by unqualified supervisors and not teachers. I would never recommend this school.

Posted February 11, 2010

I agree with all of the the negative discriptions of feedback here. My stepson went to this school until 6th grade. He then transferred to a another private school. The new school evaluated him and found that he was below his grade level, he ended up having to spend that summer catching up. He does speak and read french. which is a plus but that is the only thing positive about it. One time I was picking him up and I moved my car to let the other mother park, i was going to make room for myself a bit farther, she jump to conclusions that i was being rude and tore into me in french, that is basically a bit of what you might get.

Posted September 29, 2009

I have two children who attend Lycee. My youngest began French preschool at age 3 at Ecole Claire Fontaine and then Lycee kindergarten at age 5. My older child began Lycee in first grade at age 6, after a year of kindergarten in the Santa Monica Malibu school district. That was 6 years ago. Now my kids are in grades 6 and 3. While it was initially a difficult transition for my elder child coming from an English speaking household, both kids are consistently on the honor roll & are in the French section. When I pick them up in the afternoon and ask the the daily question 'how was school?' they always respond positively & enthusiastically. They often tell me how much they love school and couldnt wait for the term to begin in September. This tells me everything I need to know. We love it!!

Posted September 17, 2009

Great school ! Not only my children are bilingual, but they have access to a side of the world that would be nonexistent to them otherwise. That is without mentioning the fact that not only they excel in American subjects, but also in french. They actually get the benefit of both cultures...why deprive them from it when the tuition is actually less than most private schools in L.A ?

Posted March 27, 2009

If this is the page for the preschool and kindergarden campus of the Lycee, this is what I have to say. My daughter went to both campus ,moved to the elementery campus and is now attending an American school. Both principals of those two campus,Miss Hautete and Mr Zala are wonderful. My daughter not only speacks french but she is very polite and well behave in comparasion of the other kids of her present school. Those are very important qualities in life that she aquired not only at home but during her stay at those two campus.And it did absolutly not kill her artistic abilities.I am happy that she attended the lycee for the small grades

Posted February 10, 2009

The disparity in comments on this site regarding Le Lycee is interesting. As the former student comment accurately, it s not for everyone and I believe a child needs to match the environment and philosophy of the school. We are an American family and both of my kids have been at the Lycee since Preschool. They are both in the French Section and completely fluent. Their self expression has not been squelched and they both love their school and appreciate what it offers. It is strict and formal and for my kids, it works and provides structure that I believe will serve them later. We had our kids test 2x against the national average they exceed their peers in each subject. I have heard plenty of complaints and every school will have its issues but overall, I appreciate and like the school and would recommend it to anyone that asked.

Posted January 13, 2009

I have sent my kids to Le Lycee for now about three years and I have them tested outside of the School to see how they are doing and so far they have the level of any school at least even more as bilingual and bicultural. they are in small grades K2 and 3rd grade and i see basement for the future. Also I welcomed the initiative of the various forums the school has started to allow discussion between parents, teachers and students which has been a great experience. the lack of information and communication has been an issue for sure but it is really in progress as said by several students from various grades from 9 to 12. Thanks

Posted December 22, 2008

I don't understand people lwho have left negative reviews about the Lycee. Our son is attending this school and we are impressed by how much he's learning, how caring teachers are, how much supervision there is, and how approachable the administration is. I'm familiar with other private schools'curricula in the area, and I am glad we chose this school!

Posted May 22, 2008

I am a former teacher at the school. As an educator, I would not send my child to the school. I felt that the preschool curriculum did not properly prepare the children for elementary. Too much money for so little education.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 6, 2008

I send my kids to the Lycee and we love it -- parents who complain about the school stifling children's creativity are the kind of parents who confuse creativity with lack of respect towards parents and teachers. As far as academics, the curriculum is very rigorous, so if your child is not intellectually gifted, this is not the school for him/her.

Posted January 17, 2008

I have read the negative reviews on here and I am sad for their expierences. My expierences have been wonderful. One thing you must understand if you are considering this school, is that this school follows a very strict eduction program which is based on the one in France. There is no 'curve' and kids do not get to slide or fall through the cracks. When your child gradutates he/she will be well advanced going into college.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• Dance

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Organize cultural events
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

10361 West Pico Boulevard