K-1|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted May 20, 2016
Another good/bad thing about this school -- there seems to be relatively high turnover of the French teachers, possibly for visa-related reasons. Bad side, if they have somebody really good, they lose that person. Good side, each year there are freshly enthusiastic teachers, not yet super burnt out from years of doing the same thing.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 20, 2016
Some parents do feel the homework is too much for kids this young -- but for us, it hasn't been. There was just one set of assignments given to the class, but the teacher knew my kid well enough that she didn't have a problem with us skipping the bits that weren't really relevant.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted May 20, 2016
I'm putting 'neutral' for all these personality questions -- respect, caring, grit, etc. I think those are actually developed through the whole of a person's life, not just in childhood and not just at school. A great kid is not going to suddenly become a rude, lazy turd because of something the school did -- or vice versa.

Posted May 20, 2016
My kid has been at Lycee since preschool. We speak only English at home, both parents are second generation immigrant kids wishing our parents had taught us to speak our mother tongues. My kid is not yet speaking French but it's early days yet and she seems to be on track. There is no perfect school, only the perfect school for YOUR family. For us, small class size, language immersion starting in preschool, and the option of going from preschool to high school in a single system were appealing. Something I was not looking for but have come to really enjoy is the school's schedule. There are frequent weeklong breaks. If you'd be scrambling to find childcare, this would be a bad fit for you. I like it a lot because it gives us a chance to explore LA or travel a bit. It would be fantastic if it were free -- but if it were free my kid wouldn't have 9 classmates, 7 of whom I've known since they were 4. So we give up other things to make it work. If a fixer upper school where you have to put in a ton of time, energy, and resources to make it the right school for you is what you want, this school would be a bad fit. If you'd rather pay more and get a school that's move-in ready, to keep the real estate metaphor going, and you like the way it's already built, then Lycee is great. Please know that *real* education does not actually happen at a desk... not at a $30k/year desk, not at a $20k/year desk, not at a free-through-taxation desk. School is only one part of a person's life, so look for the school that fits into your life rather than shaping your life around a school, any school.

Posted March 07, 2014
We are an American and French couple. We had some guests for dinner last night, visiting from France and considering a move here with young kids. They asked us how we like the Lycee and I said...ask our son and the response was "I love it". A love of learning at 6 and we couldn't be happier. We'll be moving on to the Overland campus next year and will do our best to be highly involved with the new school. I hope to be able to continue to post excellent reviews.

Posted July 29, 2011
As private schools go in Los Angeles, we found the Lycee to be "the most bang for your buck!" The school provides the highest quality education monitored by both America's WASC and France's Ministry of Education. It is a rigorous academic program which may not be suited for every child. There is a huge emphasis on the arts and many physical activities. We are pleased to be giving our child the gift of being multilingual in a secure and nurturing environment. We hope other parents will discover this gem of a school!

Le Lycee Francais De Los Angeles 1

Posted July 18, 2011
Le Lycee Francais de Los Angeles has a lot of work to do to improve its standard.They are solely going off their past reputation and the celebrities who have attended. Very disappointing. Advice : Read your contract's fine prints. There are some unexpected hidden fees.

Le Lycee Francais De Los Angeles 1

Posted July 17, 2011
I'm french and I am pulling my son out of this school. High price for an unqualified staff. Kids are all different but are expected to fit in one box. No sense of community.

Posted June 26, 2011
Our 6 year old has only had fantastic experiences at the Lycee. The school work is rigorous but the students all seem to excell. The big bonus is the class sizes are small (12 students/class) and the teachers are very involved.

Posted June 26, 2011
Our daughter loves going to school every day. Actually, I have a difficult time picking her up at the end of each day. She wants to participate in all the extracurricular activities and summer programs just to extend her time at the Lycee. The Lycee provides a top notch education, with exceptional teachers/staff and the most culturally diverse student body of all the Los Angeles private schools. We are American and do not speak French, ...but our daughter reads and writes fluently in French. We are in love with the school!!!

10361 West Pico Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA  90064
Last modified Le Lycee Francais De Los Angeles is a Private school that serves grades K-1